Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help w/ coaxial cable problem -- need ultra thin cable to go around door frame.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help w/ coaxial cable problem -- need ultra thin cable to go around door frame.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope somebody here can help me.

My wife and I just moved into a new apartment. Unfortunately, the location of the cable outlet on the wall is nowhere near where we actually want to put the TV. We have an HD cable box from Comcast Cable if that makes a difference.

We need to run the coaxial cable from the outlet, down along the floor, and then over and around a closet door frame, and then further along the floor, until it ultimately reaches the location where we're putting out television.

With standard coaxial cable, it's going to look thick and ugly. We asked Comcast if they have thin cable that would be less noticeable, but they said no. I tried doing some Google searches, but all I can find are slightly thinner cables, and they only appear to be about 12 feet long. Also, the thinner cables I'm finding all appear to be black, which would be even more noticeable wrapped around the door frame.

Does anybody know where I can find ultra thin, white coaxial cable?

Please help. I'm getting really disappointed thinking about how ugly my living room is going to look with thick cable all over the place.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-21-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the only thin coax I know if is for ethernet and has a different shielding and resistance rating than tv coax
Old 05-21-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
Asking in the DVD & Home Theater Gear forum might yield better results. A few years ago I saw this ultra flat coaxial cable (like IDE ribbon but not as wide) used to connect a wall mounded plasma to a cable box that was a few feet below, so such a product does exist. It was even paintable. The problem you may run into is length. This product was fairly short. I'll try to remember the name.
Old 05-21-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will comcast move the location for you?

I paid a cable company to run my cable modem from the attic down (instead of from the basement up). I think total cost was 20 bucks.
Old 05-21-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you run it along the floor inside the closet?
Old 05-21-06, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Asking in the DVD & Home Theater Gear forum might yield better results. A few years ago I saw this ultra flat coaxial cable (like IDE ribbon but not as wide) used to connect a wall mounded plasma to a cable box that was a few feet below, so such a product does exist. It was even paintable. The problem you may run into is length. This product was fairly short. I'll try to remember the name.
If you remember the name, please let me know. This sounds very interesting.

Originally Posted by Alien Redrum
Will comcast move the location for you?

I paid a cable company to run my cable modem from the attic down (instead of from the basement up). I think total cost was 20 bucks.
It's an apartment, so I don't think I'd get away with drilling holes in the walls in order to relocate the cable.

Originally Posted by jon-w9
Could you run it along the floor inside the closet?
Yeah, but that only solves the problem around the closet. I'll still have exposed wires along the walls and around the door jam.
Old 05-21-06, 06:40 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=325&sku=43030

Better price:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...id=1148255043/
Old 05-22-06, 08:59 PM
Cool New Member

http://store.pchcables.com/8flatcoaxcable.html

White, flat cable with connections at both ends to connect regular cable. Works great!
Old 05-23-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double Down
If you remember the name, please let me know. This sounds very interesting.

It's an apartment, so I don't think I'd get away with drilling holes in the walls in order to relocate the cable.

Yeah, but that only solves the problem around the closet. I'll still have exposed wires along the walls and around the door jam.
Don't worry about getting "in trouble" for drilling some interior holes to reroute the cable. Who exactly is going to catch you, anyway? It isn't like the apartment staff will be inside your apartment until the walk-through when you eventually move out, and by then you will have patched any holes you drilled.

I was in a situation very similar to yours when I lived in a townhouse a few years ago. What I did was pull the carpet up from the tackboard along the wall you will be running cable, place the cable underneath the carpet alongside the tackboard and run it all the way to where the closet door is. Then drill a hole so you can run your cable on the inside of the closet where it won't be noticeable.

It doesn't matter what color or size your coax is if you do that, and you will only have one hole to putty and paint instead of about 20 or 30 from all the cable tacks you would have used to affix it to the walls. The carpet you pulled will go right back down and stay in place, and the only spots you need to really worry about is right where the cable goes from the wall to under the carpet, and back up through again to go into the closet. For that, you can cut a real small slit in the carpet so it goes down flat, and it won't even be at all noticeable when you move out. I actually had to drill a hole in an exterior wall to feed my cable from my satellite dish to inside, which is a much bigger "no-no", and everything was cool.

If you are dead set against any drilling or pulling up carpet, go with the stuff X posted the link for. That invisiwire looks pretty damn cool and painless.

Last edited by SexualPudding; 05-23-06 at 01:11 AM.