Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hastings - All Used Dvds 30% Off Until May 31

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hastings - All Used Dvds 30% Off Until May 31

I was at the store in Kirksville, MO last night and they had signs up stating it was a month long sale. Looks like most of the better titles had already been snatched up, though. Too bad I didn't know about it sooner.

What I got,

The Great Raid 2-Disc Director's Cut - $5.59, clearance rental, has some light scratches and smudges on both discs
In The Line Of Fire - $4.89, mint condition
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou 2-Disc Criterion - $10.49, near mint but has the person's (that traded it in) initials on the cover and the first disc....damn that guy to hell
Demon Hunter - $5.59, near mint

They also had The OC: Season 2 for $20.99 and From The Earth To The Moon boxset (original) for $34.99 but I didn't take enough money with me. Hopefully, I can get back down before it ends.
Old 05-21-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i just went by there and cleaned up a few days ago. this is great for picking up box sets that you may want if you can find them used. i saw that they had "from the earth to the moon" for about $35 after discount, which i think is a pretty good deal. i may have to go pick it up.
Old 05-21-06, 09:45 AM

So, what all did you pick up, kevin?
Old 05-21-06, 09:56 AM

I found the Criterion versions of The Last Temptation of Christ ($5.59), Tanner '88 (6.99), and Traffic (12.59). I also picked up a sealed but used copy of Dead and Breakfast for $6.99.
Old 05-22-06, 12:32 AM

yeah I found this out as well but didn't get too much...Found the E.T. giftset for $25 and Million Dollar Baby for $5...The Earth to the Moon Boxset (Newer release) is at mine for $49.99 then take 30% off that. I bought it the last time they had a 30% off sale...Now if they only had a Planet of the Apes Ape head that was used (selling for $159 new at mine)...
Old 05-22-06, 01:22 AM

Darn that there aren't any Hastings in CA.
Old 05-22-06, 03:49 AM

So this is at every Hastings? I believe I will call in make sure. Last time I was in there which was a very long time ago the Used selections weren't so superb but it is worth a browse. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-22-06, 07:39 AM

I picked up Excel Saga Imperfect Collection for 35 after discount. I passed on the new xfiles thin packs for 24 before discount and when back the next day to find them snatched up. You snooze you lose.

Used games are also buy 2 get one for a cent this week...and mp3 players excluding ipod are half off (and yet still over priced).
Old 05-22-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks OP. This ranks as the deal of the year, IMO! I have been wanting to purchase Cheers on dvds, and just my luck, my store had 3 boxsets at 19.99 each. I got 30% off on top of that.

The used boxsets are often located in the glass case. Also, look in the sports section for WWE dvds. I grabbed Wrestlemania Anthology Vol. 1 for 24 bucks as well.
Old 05-22-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Reaper
So, what all did you pick up, kevin?
i ended up getting doc hollywood, the ice harvest, bad news bears (newer one), and a few others that i can't think of right off hand. i had a whole lot more in my hand but put them back because i am trying to cut back my purchases.
Old 05-25-06, 08:41 AM

I went by one of my local Hastings yesterday,mainly to pick up some DVDs they had in the sales flyer this week,Ice Age Super Cool Edition,Cheaper By The Dozen Baker's Dozen Edition,and Ferngully Family Fun Edition,all for $6.99 each,brand new(They also have Garfield,Anatasia Family Fun Edition,and Because Of Winn-Dixie for the same price,brand new,just stuff for the kids!)Anyways I seen the 30% off sale going on and thid particular store always has alot of used/clearance rentals for sale,I picked up Mr. And Mrs. Smith,Chicken Little,Hoodwinked,Herbie Fully Loaded,and Narnia.I got all 8 DVD's for $68 and change.There are plenty more I want to go back and get.
Oh Yeah they had a crapload of The Life Aquatic DVD for $5.99 BEFORE the 30% off.
Old 06-03-06, 06:14 PM

My Hastings store is still doing 30% off after the May 31st deadline, so others might want to check their stores as well. I got the Kingdom of Heaven 4-disc set used for $12.59!
Old 06-03-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Reaper
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou 2-Disc Criterion - $10.49, near mint but has the person's (that traded it in) initials on the cover and the first disc....damn that guy to hell
If you take a little Goo Gone, the normal Goo Gone (070048716164 is the UPC on the bottle that I've got) and spray it right to the case and the disc and leave it on there for a few minutes, the ink will wipe right off. I've had to do this for plenty of used DVDs that I've bought, and it's never failed me.

Just remember to buy the version of Goo Gone that I've mentioned. There are different kinds and if you get the wrong one, it WILL remove the artwork on the disc, and any of the artwork/paint on the cardboard case.

If you get what I mentioned, it'll work like a charm.

Originally Posted by GeoffreyL
I also picked up a sealed but used copy of Dead and Breakfast for $6.99.
How was it used if it was sealed?

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 06-03-06 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-03-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can confirm the 30% off deal is still active - I've been picking up used UMD movies and bought 3 more today - they all rang up at 30% off the already low used price.

Sin City 5.59
Resident Evil: Apocalypse 6.99
Predator 6.99

I was ignoring the PSP due to its cost and also needing to re-purchase movies in a new format but after getting a good deal on a used, complete value pack I've come to think the ability to play movies on it is kinda neat. It complements my portable DVD players nicely.

Don't think I'll ever buy new, full priced movies for it though.......
Old 06-03-06, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
How was it used if it was sealed?
It was probably someone who brought it in sealed and sold it to them. Hastings will consider it used because it was bought off a consumer. I have an extra sealed copy of Beverly Hills Cop that I can't get rid of, and I might have to do the same (though I know I won't get much for it).
Old 06-04-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I got in on that Great Raid 2-disc Director's cut for 5.59 today. I saw it marked 7.99 and thought it was a good deal, seeing as how they had the used single-disc version for 13.00. When I got to the register, it rang up as $5.59. Disc one has a little wear, but no scratches, disc 2 is perfect and it even had an insert!
Old 06-05-06, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
If you take a little Goo Gone, the normal Goo Gone (070048716164 is the UPC on the bottle that I've got) and spray it right to the case and the disc and leave it on there for a few minutes, the ink will wipe right off. I've had to do this for plenty of used DVDs that I've bought, and it's never failed me.

Just remember to buy the version of Goo Gone that I've mentioned. There are different kinds and if you get the wrong one, it WILL remove the artwork on the disc, and any of the artwork/paint on the cardboard case.

If you get what I mentioned, it'll work like a charm.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-07-06, 10:34 AM

Hastings is still having a sale this week. All Used DVDs, CDs, Books and Games are 30% off, All New Music DVDs are 20% off.

I picked up the thin packed versions of buffy s1, 2and 5 for about 12 each after the discount, Jackass the boxed set for about 15, Kingdom of Heaven 4 dvd for 12, Eternal Sunshine 2 disk version for 12, Episode II for 6 (scratched!!!boo) and a bunch of music dvds used and new for around 6-9 bucks each.

I also picked up 1-12 of a series of unfortunate events for my nephew and neice and about 10 xbox games. The video game department has no signs, but I had a clerk check the price on a game and it rang up on sale.
Old 06-07-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, wish I had a Hastings!
Old 06-07-06, 02:26 PM

I went to check out the games and didn't see any signs so didn't spend too much time and figured I would check out the DVD's while I was there. Found the James Bond Collection Vol. 1 used for 69.99. After the discount and with tax my total was $52.91. Happy Early Birthday to me!
Old 06-07-06, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Greg613
I went to check out the games and didn't see any signs so didn't spend too much time and figured I would check out the DVD's while I was there. Found the James Bond Collection Vol. 1 used for 69.99. After the discount and with tax my total was $52.91. Happy Early Birthday to me!
Yeah, there are no signs in the game department but they ring up 30% off. The flyer at www.gohastings.com has the sale details. Click on the link "store sales" or something like that at the top of the page to see the flyer. My store did not have the flyer either...