Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

It's Official: Hollywood Video Gives VHS the Boot

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 02:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And so it begins. A Hotmail dated 4/19/06 was recieved at my store today informing us of the 2nd step in Hollywood Video's process to discontinue VHS rentals in the chain. What's the plan you ask. A mass video tape exodus, coupled with a PV DVD/VHS contest. There is a list of 1,500 titles that we're to keep, while the rest are up for grabs in a 5 for $15 PV sale! That's $3 a tape on anything that isn't on the master list. YMMV depending on your region, but that's how it it's going down in the Midwest.

To put it into perspective, the VHS shelving units at my Hollywood in Blaine are as follows; 35 tapes per row, 6 rows per bay, 5 bays per section, 10 bays total accounting for both sides. We've got roughly 4,500 tapes in all, including TV sets on VHS, but not including 2 tape titles. So, given we even have the titles on the list of 1,500, we're guaranteed to put 3,000 out to pasture.

This is effective immediately, so you should expect to see the signage go up any day now. Also, PV DVD's are going back to 3/$30 on Sunday, the 21st.

I speak for pretty much everyone at more store when I say "Good Riddance". Hopefully this will open the doors for expanding some stores libraries, and potentially an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray section.
Old 05-21-06, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
Hopefully this will open the doors for expanding some stores libraries

That would be great. The selection at my Hollywood is somewhat lacking.
Old 05-23-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And so it begins. A Hotmail dated 4/19/06 was recieved at my store today informing us of the 2nd step in Hollywood Video's process to discontinue VHS rentals in the chain. What's the plan you ask. A mass video tape exodus, coupled with a PV DVD/VHS contest. There is a list of 1,500 titles that we're to keep, while the rest are up for grabs in a 5 for $15 PV sale! That's $3 a tape on anything that isn't on the master list. YMMV depending on your region, but that's how it it's going down in the Midwest.

To put it into perspective, the VHS shelving units at my Hollywood in Blaine are as follows; 35 tapes per row, 6 rows per bay, 5 bays per section, 10 bays total accounting for both sides. We've got roughly 4,500 tapes in all, including TV sets on VHS, but not including 2 tape titles. So, given we even have the titles on the list of 1,500, we're guaranteed to put 3,000 out to pasture.

This is effective immediately, so you should expect to see the signage go up any day now. Also, PV DVD's are going back to 3/$30 on Sunday, the 21st.

I speak for pretty much everyone at more store when I say "Good Riddance". Hopefully this will open the doors for expanding some stores libraries, and potentially an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray section.
probably to make room for more candy and crap for hollywood employees to push on unsuspecting joe six pak renters
Old 05-23-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never saw this coming....My store has so much untouched VHS...
Old 05-23-06, 10:16 PM

They should donate them to libraries or something. Who going to actually buy them?
Old 05-24-06, 01:39 AM
Banned

Well, the Family and Kids VHS section at my Hollywood is literally ravaged every night, so should any of those be available, they'll sell fast. As for the other genres, you'd be surprised how many people (namely older) just don't want to make the switch after being so used to one format. At 3/$15, it's a steal on titles that aren't yet on DVD.

Whatever remains will just be still available for rental until the chain just decides to drop the format altogether like Blockbuster has done more or less. We recieved our 1,500 piece master list today. Some good titles are getting the axe, but I'm under the impression that YMMV because of regional marketing and title popularity. Our sale is gearing up tomorrow, as we've got streamers in the VHS section, and will be taking colored shoe polish to the windows! LOL
Old 05-24-06, 12:06 PM

I wanted to thank the thread starter. I went and bought Double Indemnity so I would at least have a version of it.

As for the 3/$30 previously viewed DVDs. This deal makes no sense if stores like my local one sell them for $10 each. (Although with the 3/$25 I still could not find a third one I would waste $5 on.)
Old 05-30-06, 09:09 AM

Anyone else have any success?
Old 06-05-06, 02:43 PM
Banned

me. Got some for me and some high priced sellers for amazon to pay for what I bought
Old 06-05-06, 03:58 PM
Banned

Must be some rare or OOP titles at your Hollywood's, because buying something for $10, and looking to turn a profit ($5), after Amazon fees, seems like a waste of time.
Old 06-06-06, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
Hopefully the stores will get more movies in, and help to expand catalog titles. The VHS section doesn't take up too much space, unlike the for sale section. That alone takes up almost half of my store.
Old 06-06-06, 12:48 PM
Banned

Must be some rare or OOP titles at your Hollywood's, because buying something for $10, and looking to turn a profit ($5), after Amazon fees, seems like a waste of time.

Since tapes are $3 each, I've bought a couple titles that I've sold on Amazon for $20-$30 each
Old 06-06-06, 11:36 PM
JMG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone know a good site were you could look for oop and rare vhs titles?? I did a but most those sites are

my hollywood has a shhh load of vhs titles ready for the pickings.

any help would be great!!

thanks
Old 06-24-06, 10:33 PM

Rare/OOP movie list

Hi,
Did anyone find a list of rare/oop videos I could take to my local Hollywood Video while browsing the titles? Do y'all know of any titles off hand?
Old 06-25-06, 07:30 AM

Just do a search on eBay for "oop VHS"....... you can even narrow the prices to $20+ if you want.....