Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

fye.com Star Wars OT each $12.99 AR

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fye.com Star Wars OT each $12.99 AR

As the title says. Each 2 disc of the original movies being released are $19.99 each with a $7 MIR. No UPC needed for rebate.
Also the various B&M TWEC stores (FYE, coconuts, Strawberries, Wherehouse etc.) will most probably have a similar deal during release week (B&M rebates require a UPC, but just use sticker on shrinkwrap for submission).
If fye.com has a 10-20% off coupon for memorial day this year this could be a good deal.
As always make sure you keep a copy of all materials submitted for rebates (I scan them usually and keep a digital copy).
Old 05-20-06, 01:47 PM

ha, our posts just crossed! memorial day code MMTEN, 10% off and free shipping..
Old 05-21-06, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
ha, our posts just crossed! memorial day code MMTEN, 10% off and free shipping..
When does the code expire, Memorial Day?

EDIT: I read the fine print on FYE.com, expires 5/31

OK, so I'll bite. If a better deal comes along, I'll just cancel this order. I just sold my other Star Wars DVDs in anticipation of this release and made $34.08. I got them free in the first palce, so all that profit can go back to these new versions!

Last edited by slowcloud; 05-21-06 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-21-06, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
I just sold my other Star Wars DVDs in anticipation of this release and made $34.08. I got them free in the first palce, so all that profit can go back to these new versions!
You may or may not be following the thread in the "DVD Talk" section, but these new releases are apparently non-anamorphic. You may have been hasty in selling the "old" releases.
Old 05-21-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
You may or may not be following the thread in the "DVD Talk" section, but these new releases are apparently non-anamorphic. You may have been hasty in selling the "old" releases.
Bah, I hate the special editions, they're only interesting for the commentary tracks. I just always wanted the OT.
Old 05-21-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Bah, I hate the special editions, they're only interesting for the commentary tracks. I just always wanted the OT.
The special editions will be the same anamorphic ones they've been selling, it's the originals that won't be anamorphic.
Old 05-21-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The special editions will be the same anamorphic ones they've been selling, it's the originals that won't be anamorphic.
Of course, I figured that must have been the case after my previous post. Why would they change those DVDs out for non-anamorphic versions? But is there an official source where you can get the OT in anamorphic? As far as I can tell, that source would only be FOX, who is releasing these editions. Is the debate at the other thread speculating that the OT will get released down the road in Anamorphic? If so, it's only specualtion, and I want to see the original triology as I remember it, when I saw it in theaters as a kid.
Old 05-21-06, 11:24 AM
Banned

Of course, I figured that must have been the case after my previous post. Why would they change those DVDs out for non-anamorphic versions? But is there an official source where you can get the OT in anamorphic? As far as I can tell, that source would only be FOX, who is releasing these editions. Is the debate at the other thread speculating that the OT will get released down the road in Anamorphic? If so, it's only specualtion, and I want to see the original triology as I remember it, when I saw it in theaters as a kid.
It's not speculation. It's been confirmed. The OT will be non-anamorphic.

No sale here. I don't care how much they're charging. For free, I'll take them.
Old 05-21-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Though it is true that one can use the sticker on the shrinkwrap for those that are purchased from the b&m store....I don't think, and it's been awhile since I ordered on line from FYE, the internet orders have this sticker on them. If that is correct, then it would require you to go the the b&m to get a price sticker to use for the mail-in rebate.

Ron
Old 05-21-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another great article on the Lucus' lack of releasing a anamorphic version of the originals can be found by in Digital Bits fromBill Hunt. Great read. there should also be a note that the 30 av. editions should come out next year...so who knows what version we'll see then. Some have speculated that an HD version will come out. If history is an indicator, one would assume Lucus will wait for a bigger saturation of the HD dvd resolution market before releasing the HD editions.

Ron
Old 05-21-06, 11:38 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
confirmed by you doesn't count.
Old 05-21-06, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
confirmed by you doesn't count.
I didn't confirm it, smart ass.
Old 05-21-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could care less if it's anamorphic, I'm just glad to finally be getting the OT on DVD.
Old 05-21-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc

No sale here. I don't care how much they're charging. For free, I'll take them.
That wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to possible speculation of a future anamorphic release of the OT.

Oh, Ron, the print out of the rebate does not say you need to mail back a UPC. Earlier posters (be they here or on the other thred) also noted that the UPC is not required for on-line orders.
Old 05-21-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since Scott1958 seems to up to his usual friendly manner. I apologize to the OP for getting off topic. I thought this article was well layed out on the topic of the SWOT release this fall. Here is Bill Hunt's article from Digital Bits on the topic:

"We want to take a few moments this morning to post some follow-up thoughts on our Star Wars DVD editorial from yesterday. Since we first posted the DVD transfer information, and especially after our comments of yesterday morning, we've received many hundreds of e-mails from Star Wars fans, home theater enthusiasts and industry insiders (our sincere thanks to all of you for your thoughts), nearly all of whom agree with our sentiments, specifically that if Lucasfilm is going to release the original theatrical versions of the Star Wars films on DVD, they should at least present them in anamorphic widescreen to ensure some semblance of acceptable video quality for fans who may wish to purchase them. Still, a few people felt we were making mountains out of molehills.

Whatever your personal opinions, however, there remains a reality that is hard to deny, which is this: Anamorphic enhancement is the widely accepted industry standard for the presentation of widescreen films on DVD. This is not pie in the sky 'unobtanium' technology that costs untold millions to implement... it's a basic technique that is standard practice on DVD and has been for many years now, since the fairly early days of the DVD format back in 1997. Keep in mind, we're not asking for 4K high-definition presentation at this point. We're simply asking that Lucas - who has in the past been so focused on the quality presentation of his films that he created THX (and the THX certification process) to ensure it - expend a little more effort and money to ensure that the Star Wars DVDs planned for release on 9/12, which are already set to offer the original theatrical versions of these films, offer them in reasonably acceptable video quality that is commensurate to the minimum level that's considered standard for the DVD format today.

Now... we've heard all manner of excuses and contradictory official statements as to why this can't happen: 1) the original film negatives are gone, 2) the other existing original elements have deteriorated too badly, 3) there are just no quality film elements remaining anywhere that could be used, 4) the 1993 laserdisc masters are the best source material that can be found for use on DVD after exhaustive searches of the Lucasfilm Archives, etc. Some of these excuses run from the unlikely to the absurd, and all of them strike us as publicity machine spin.

We've debunked all of these excuses previously but, for the record, let's do so again:

1) The original negatives are gone, destroyed as part of the process of creating the 1997 special edition versions.

We're inclined to believe this is true. Still, the original negatives are not the only viable elements that can be used to transfer the films for home video release. There are numerous interpositive prints. There are the separation masters. Worst case, there are a number of high quality release prints available. In short, other elements exist that can be used for this purpose.

2) The other existing original elements have deteriorated too badly to be used.

We'll come back to this one in a minute.

3) There are just no quality film elements remaining anywhere that could be used.

See our answer to #1. Even if it's true that Lucas and his staff destroyed all of the original negatives, it's unlikely in the extreme that they also destroyed all of the interpositives, all of the separation masters, and all of the release prints. In fact, we know that they didn't. Where, for example, would the anamorphic footage of the original 1977 opening text crawl from A New Hope - the footage that appeared in the Empire of Dreams DVD documentary - have come from if not from quality surviving film elements? Still, even if Lucas did destroy every single scrap of original film available in the Lucasfilm Archives... we know for a fact that high quality die transfer release prints exist in the hands of a number of archives and private collectors. While not ideal, any of these could be given a high-definition transfer, a bit of digital clean-up and color-timing, and could be presented on DVD in anamorphic widescreen in quality that would be superior to a 1993 non-anamorphic laserdisc transfer.

4) The 1993 laserdisc masters are the best source material that can be found for use on DVD after exhaustive searches of the Lucasfilm Archives.

See our answer to #3. This is flatly absurd. If this were true, Lucasfilm's archivists should be ashamed of themselves. We know of few professionals tasked with the preservation of film materials that would allow such critically important film elements as the original Star Wars films to be lost, to deteriorate or be wholesale destroyed. And again, even if Lucasfilm's vaults were so woefully incomplete, we know for a fact that quality elements exist elsewhere. Given 48 hours notice, we could track them down ourselves. Surely, with its significant resources and influence, Lucasfilm could do the same. If the 1993 laserdisc masters are really the best that Lucasfilm can do, it's disturbing. If not, a statement like "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD..." seems terribly disingenuous - the corporate PR equivalent of "I'm so sorry, but the dog ate my homework."

But let's get back to #2...

2) The other existing original elements have deteriorated too badly to be used.

It just so happens that one of our regular contributors here at The Bits, the author of our ever illuminating Yellow Layer Failure, Vinegar Syndrome and Miscellaneous Musings column, is something of an expert on the subject of film preservation and restoration. Robert A. Harris, in point of fact, is one of the world's best known motion picture archivists, and has does significant work in this field through his company, Film Preserve. Robert's experiments in color technology and more recent advances in the digital domain have set standards in the industry. His reconstruction and restoration efforts, primarily in the large format field, have brought back to the screen some of the most important films ever produced, including Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus, My Fair Lady, Vertigo and Rear Window.

We asked Robert what might be done with the original surviving elements of the Star Wars films in order to rejuvenate them and present them in high quality on DVD. Here's what he had to say on the subject:

"Bill Hunt has asked for an opinion regarding the element problems which we have been told exist in the various Star Wars films, and if they might be fixed.

We're aware of the extent of the problems, going back to fading of the original CRI sections - a problem shared with Close Encounters of the Third Kind - as well as the various cuts, re-cuts, etc. which have changed the conformation of the film elements.

Over the past few years we have been experimenting with various means of handling and interrelating differing film elements, and what we have accomplished would enable us to bring Star Wars back to virtually its original state.

In all deference to Lucasfilm, there is no reason that they would be aware of our latest experiments, or how they might apply to Star Wars.

Essentially, the project would be a reconstruction concurrent with restoration.

We can state with absolute certainly that we would be able to deliver fully restored quality elements as might be requested by Lucasfilm, inclusive of a pristine quality high definition video master as well as a full resolution 35mm preservation negative, if so directed.

It would be both a pleasure and a challenge to bring these films back to virtually their original state, and given a proper budget, commensurate with the work entailed, we would be willing to take on the assignment from Lucasfilm, and deliver elements which would make the release of the original trilogy to DVD as startlingly beautiful an event as it should be.

These films are extremely important both cinematically and as cultural icons, and deserve to be seen in the finest quality possible.

RAH"

So there you have it. It seems to those of us here at The Bits, that the only reasonable obstacles to Lucasfilm in releasing the original versions of the Star Wars film on DVD in high-quality are the will do to so and the willingness to spend a reasonable sum of money, such as might be required to get the job done properly. Certainly, any number of existing quality elements could be utilized for the purpose (and digitally cleaned up as needed) without breaking the bank. But considering the cinematic and cultural significance of these films, does it not seem reasonable and prudent to do so?

In any case, we sincerely hope that those in charge at Lucasfilm will reconsider their decision to use lackluster 1993 laserdisc masters to present the original Star Wars films on DVD in 2006. The films deserve better, and we believe it's the right thing to do for the fans. It might require a little more effort, a little more money spent up front. But we have to believe that it would be a significantly profitable enterprise... that countless life-long fans of the original films would thrill at the possibility of finally owning them on DVD in good, reasonable and acceptable quality.

It should be done. It CAN be done."

Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits

Thanks to Bill Hunt for a great article on the topic.

Ron
Old 05-21-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to possible speculation of a future anamorphic release of the OT.

Oh, Ron, the print out of the rebate does not say you need to mail back a UPC. Earlier posters (be they here or on the other thred) also noted that the UPC is not required for on-line orders.
That is good news. My only concern is when they say one rebate submission per envelope. My experience on ordering two different seasons of Seinfeld was I was told to submit one per envelope by cutomer service. Since we are only provide ONE packing slip, I made a copy and included the copy with one submission for one season.....and the orginal packing slip with the other season. the rebate for the season that had the copy of the packing slip was denied. I resubmitted it and was denied a second time.

Ron
Old 05-21-06, 06:14 PM

Hopefully this will a different no UPC required from the Family Guy and Die Hard Trilogy 1-day specials.
Old 05-21-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
That is good news. My only concern is when they say one rebate submission per envelope. My experience on ordering two different seasons of Seinfeld was I was told to submit one per envelope by cutomer service. Since we are only provide ONE packing slip, I made a copy and included the copy with one submission for one season.....and the orginal packing slip with the other season. the rebate for the season that had the copy of the packing slip was denied. I resubmitted it and was denied a second time.

Ron

I've ordered tons of rebated DVDs from them before and also bought alot instore both from FYE and Strawberries. Instore it is simply a matter of if purchased at the same time you can submit them in the same envelope as long as there's only one rebate form for all of them.
Online it is a little bit different, but as long as they are part of the same promotoion , you ordered them together and they shipped together you can send them all in together. With this SW promotion the rebate form states 6 DVDs (WS and FS of each movie). So, it should not be a problem to order all 3 movies and send the rebate for them together in one envelope.
About sneding the copy. They are a bit anal about that and unfortunately they don't reply much to their emails. The few times I've had problems with rebates (probably 3 out of about 200 times) I've just resubmitted digital copies of my submission via a 1-800 fax number. Worked wonders each time.
Also, I don't mind if you discuss the presentation of these movies in this thread since it is all related.
I'm disappointed about them not being anamorpic myself, but also happy they are finally being released.
Old 05-22-06, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it sounds like a great argument The Digital Bits has cooked up, and I would agree. I have always been frustrated by the fact that the OT has not been available as an official release. Right here at the University of Miami there is a rare Technicolor archival print of the 1977 Star Wars, so I have always known good elements exist for DVD transfer. If the complaints of this nonanamorphic release persist, maybe they will release anamorphic versions instead. All I know is I want to see the originals again, so I have pre-ordered. I will enjoy them as they are. If they are up-graded to anamorphic, great! I hope the complaints pour in and change this.

Last edited by slowcloud; 05-22-06 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-22-06, 07:26 AM

There is an extensive thread for this discussion in the proper forum.

Regarding the deal:

The rebate form is set up to allow all three films to be submitted at the same time. Also, beware, my CC company just contacted me to let me know that the full amount was charged. I'm not sure if it'll stick, but beware.