Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Criterion's New Look...

Kerborus
05-18-06, 10:51 PM
Egads! I hate change. Has anyone seen the new criterion logo and website? Have the spines changed? Will they no longer be uniform? DId I mention I hate change?

Anyone wanna chime in?

mifuneral
05-18-06, 10:54 PM
I also hate change, but I have not seen these specific changes. Thanks for the heads up.

Joe Molotov
05-18-06, 10:55 PM
Well, here's some of the new coverart.

http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/350_box_348x490.jpg

Don't know about the spines, but Criterion of all people should know how anal their fans are about spine numbers. ;)

darmok
05-19-06, 12:58 AM
hey, i like the classic criterion banner on the top -- it makes the title instantly recognizable as a Criterion. always loved their graphic design but no matter what they gotta keep that banner on top!

JiM T
05-19-06, 01:06 AM
I can't get behind that.

Lemdog
05-19-06, 01:22 AM
I like it. Usually I'm against change, but this is something I can support.

Josh-da-man
05-19-06, 01:53 AM
I knew that cover was drawn Mike Allred before I saw his name at the bottom. :lol:

NatrlBornThrllr
05-19-06, 02:07 AM
No banner at the top? Lame.

AnonomusBob15
05-19-06, 02:10 AM
I like it. As long as the spine doesn't change (which it has before, and for the better but nothing else), this is a step forward.

mifuneral
05-19-06, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure if I like it or hate it, but the Allred coverart is awesome and makes me wanna check out that film.

hindolio
05-19-06, 03:47 AM
i dont likey

but i will continue to obey the c

Shagrath
05-19-06, 07:05 AM
I really liked the "Criterion Banner" at the top. I thought it was really classy and wasn't too intrusive to the rest of the cover, and just kind of fit in with everything.

However, with the new "file tab" banner on the side with "The Criterion Collection" and the year, it doesn't blend in nearly as well and sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't mind the "C" so much in the upper left-hand corner, as it almost harkens back to my comic-collecting days with DC and Marvel in the corner. As long as they vary the color of the "C" to make it blend in to the cover design, I'll be okay with it. It's the tab on the side of the cover that irks me.

I'm also very interested to see if the spine will have any significant change. I'm pretty sure the new "C" will make an appearance somewhere, but I would really like it to still contain the old banner as well as the spine number so that everything will be uniform on the shelf.

bboisvert
05-19-06, 07:24 AM
Meh... I don't like it, and I think losing the banner is a mistake.

But, I'm also not one of those people that collects every Criterion and lines them up in my collection by spine number. The Criterions aren't treated any differently than other discs in my collection (they're mixed in, alphabetically by genre).

So, while I don't like the new look, I'm not overly concerned that the collection is no longer uniform.

toddly6666
05-19-06, 07:31 AM
maybe this will be a wake up call to obsessive compulsive buy-all-Criterion DVD buyers. If the shifting of a spine number is a problem for anyone in which it throws off their anal DVD shelf set-up, then I would get help...

Aesthetics-wise, the artwork looks fine, it's just that Criterion tab that looks stupid...

Simpson Purist
05-19-06, 07:35 AM
Well it does give more "breathing room" for the cover art, but I thought the previous Crieterion banner was classy.

EddieN
05-19-06, 07:38 AM
I've been noticing another company or two aping their look particularly with similar banners on the top front covers. Could be this is a response to these "look" imitators. Or not.

I don't mind the change. Still a quality cover that's better than most things out there. Not a Criterion-nerd anyway.

marty888
05-19-06, 07:54 AM
Don't know about the spines, but Criterion of all people should know how anal their fans are about spine numbers. ;)

Any truth to the rumor that the spine numbers will be in Roman numerals from now on?

-wink-

basaro
05-19-06, 08:27 AM
I'm not anal about my cc's, but I don't like the new tab look either. I think the banner style looked much classier. I also think if they change the spines, it will be a mistake.

For those that store these together and are concerned with how they look on the shelf, I don't think it will be that bad, you can just start putting the new spine numbers on a separate shelf, so all the old ones look uniform together,and then all the new ones will too. It's not like the old/new numbers will be mixed up, so they won't be intertwined.
Overall, as long as cc continues with their quality treatment, it won't matter to me.

OldBoy
05-19-06, 09:02 AM
as long as the superlative quality and quantity of content doesn't change, i could care less.

OldBoy
05-19-06, 09:04 AM
maybe this will be a wake up call to obsessive compulsive buy-all-Criterion DVD buyers. If the shifting of a spine number is a problem for anyone in which it throws off their anal DVD shelf set-up, then I would get help...
jealous much?

alfonsosoriano
05-19-06, 09:11 AM
jealous much?

What exactly does he have to be jealous about? The fact that he doesn't cry over cover art changing?

rfduncan
05-19-06, 09:38 AM
So not a lot of support for the changes, but does that mean you won't still buy the films with the new art? ;)

They could package some of their product in blank paper sleeves and I'd still buy it! :lol:

Maxflier
05-19-06, 09:43 AM
A change for the worse. :thmbsdwn:

Shagrath
05-19-06, 09:44 AM
So not a lot of support for the changes, but does that mean you won't still buy the films with the new art? ;)

They could package some of their product in blank paper sleeves and I'd still buy it! :lol:

Of course I'll continue to buy their films, and their choice of cover-art, etc. has never deterred me. There are few films in the collection that I have been unsatisfied with, so their ratio (for me, at least) is very acceptable.

Bad cover-art or packaging hasn't stopped me in the past, but it has disappointed me. For an example, when Simpsons Season 6 shipped with just the "Homer Head" packaging, I was a little miffed, but it didn't stop me from picking it up. It was definately a plus for Fox to offer the mail-in for the more traditional-style packaging, and then offer them both at retail for subsequent seasons.

Maybe (highly doubtful) Criterion could do reversible covers to appease the "afraid of change" people out there. They wouldn't have to do much with the actual cover design, just remove the tab and the "C", and replace it with the current banner. This would definately be the easiest way to please both parties, although I don't know what the added cost of 2-sided covers would be.

darmok
05-19-06, 10:08 AM
wow, i just realized there's a floating C on the upper left corner, didn't even notice it before you pointed that out. is that a Criterion "C" or part of this title's coverart? if prior, what's up with that??

renaldow
05-19-06, 12:36 PM
wow, i just realized there's a floating C on the upper left corner, didn't even notice it before you pointed that out. is that a Criterion "C" or part of this title's coverart? if prior, what's up with that??

The C is the Criterion logo and is part of the new cover.

Tarantino
05-19-06, 12:50 PM
...and, it's just coverart.

I'll go ahead and say that if the disc quality is still up to par (which I doubt Criterion would let slip), who gives a fuck? It's coverart, and you'll see it once in a great while, when you pull the DVD off of your shelf to watch it, and then you'll put it back until later, when you eventually watch it again. Big...fucking...deal.

= J

inri222
05-19-06, 02:01 PM
I personally am a fan of the old school logo of the early dvd's & the laserdiscs.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000009EBU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://japanld.free.fr/cover/07901-08000/07923.jpg

toddly6666
05-19-06, 02:18 PM
SCOTT, what am I supposed to be jealous of? People who have Criterion DVDs?

dvd_luver
05-19-06, 02:25 PM
I don't like it at all right now, It's just so strange, but I may get used to it. However, they could have the new "C" logo and the criterion collection banner which normally appears on the top of every dvd they put out - merge with their usual logo. Without the banner it just looks like something is missing or whatever. But with it now it looks like Pac-man is coming to eat the old banner, so might as well just sport a "C" and do without the old banner.

Take a look:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8035/48x4908os.jpghttp://img453.imageshack.us/img453/7699/348x4901rm.jpg

OldBoy
05-19-06, 04:09 PM
that's a start.

Shagrath
05-19-06, 05:10 PM
The covers are up over on Criterion's website for Rohmer's Six Moral Tales.

http://criterionco.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=342

I don't have time to link in the images because I'm at work right now. I would love them if they had the old style, but I think this new one makes them look rather odd.

DonnachaOne
05-19-06, 05:20 PM
I don't like it.

PopcornTreeCt
05-19-06, 06:06 PM
The covers are up over on Criterion's website for Rohmer's Six Moral Tales.

http://criterionco.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=342

I don't have time to link in the images because I'm at work right now. I would love them if they had the old style, but I think this new one makes them look rather odd.

I like how they look all nice and uniform.

purplechoe
05-19-06, 06:42 PM
I don't mind a change if it's for the better. The changes I saw Criterion made are not for the better. The C in the corner looks like shit and the banner on the side sticks out like a sore thumb. :down: :sad:

pro-bassoonist
05-20-06, 12:34 AM
I don't mind a change if it's for the better. The changes I saw Criterion made are not for the better. The C in the corner looks like shit and the banner on the side sticks out like a sore thumb. :down: :sad:

I agree 100%.

Ciao,
Pro-B

slop101
05-20-06, 01:56 AM
No sir, I don't like it!

http://lady_deathtouch.tripod.com/howtodraw/horse.gif

thebunk
05-20-06, 08:48 AM
jealous much?

Worst come back ever!

:whofart: rotfl -screwy-

basaro
05-20-06, 09:04 AM
Worst come back ever!

:up:

Shagrath
05-20-06, 09:18 AM
Someone over at criterionforum.org posted an example of what the Rohmer box would have looked like if Criterion had kept the old banner, and I think it looks a lot better. Everything just seems to blow better. The new "C" and tab look like they were just added in as an afterthought without actually integrating them into the color scheme of the cover.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6460/rohmer0dl.jpg

jdslater1
05-20-06, 09:22 AM
Some people like the new look, some don't.

A nation divided.

OldBoy
05-20-06, 09:48 AM
Worst come back ever!

but yours is especially quippy!

Shagrath
05-20-06, 10:01 AM
Alright guys, let's please stop with the pissing match. It does absolutely nothing for the thread, which is supposed to be about people's opinions of Criterion's new direction in terms of cover-art and design.

TomOpus
05-20-06, 10:16 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement until I hold one in my hands for a better look and feel.

Gotta admit they have guts to change things around knowing how their devoted fan-base would react.

dvd_luver
05-20-06, 10:56 AM
All I know is that the floating "C" and the tiny vertical banner is a bootleggers wet dream. I still prefer their older look, it makes their dvd's seem like an experience.

thebunk
05-20-06, 11:08 AM
but yours is especially quippy!

Um, how was my comment a "come back"? It was a comment in regards to your idiotic reply. Pure and simple.

darmok
05-20-06, 03:31 PM
i suppose if Criterion needs to re-design, the corner tab concept is kinda cool. but what is up with that silly floating "C"? every time i see that, i think somebody left a Ronzoni elbow on the scanner!

Rizor
05-20-06, 08:02 PM
The banner was just so classy. Heck, I have seriously considered buying DVDs just for that banner. :D The C and the side banner just seem too modern in style and font. This doesn't really go well with the fact that most Criterion releases are older, classic films. It might be nice for that Horror line that Criterion's supposed to be doing, but not for the main one.

My biggest problem with it is that it's a fairly obstuctive design. Take a look at that cover for Rohmer's Six Moral Tales. Not only does the top C cover a guy's face, but the side banner starts to cut into the girl's. If this is their design, why not make covers that compliment it?

Vision of Love
05-20-06, 08:27 PM
It looks too random and disorderly to me. Really, the previous layout could not have been made any better.

So says the girl who doesn't own a single Criterion, so who gives a shit what I think, right? ;)

*awaits Scott's attack on her character*

Harry Lime
05-20-06, 10:33 PM
All of the elegance that the present criterion banner has goes to shit with the "C" in the corner.

Hey maybe if someone e-mails them a link to this post and others like it they might reconsider. any thoughts?

slop101
05-21-06, 02:33 AM
With HD and BlueRay here and around the corner, it's sorta too late to try for a new look for plain old dvds. Criterion should hold off on a new look until they jump into HD (or BlueRay).

Reservoir
05-21-06, 03:27 AM
Criterion should hold off on a new look until they jump into HD (or BlueRay).
Since they don't own any films I assume they only hold home DVD rights. Things could get sticky for Criterion as many of the big studios (Vivendi-Universal (StudioCanal) for one) own much of their catalogue.

If Vivendi-Universal go for only HDDVD (http://www.hddvdprg.com/about/member.html) (their US subsidary (Universal Pictures) seems to have chose HDDVD for the moment) maybe they'd tell Criterion that's what they'd 'hope for' from Criterion and this may not impress other rights' owners (ie Blu-Ray supporters).

Criterion is a good template for other studios to follow and I can't see why any of the majors would bother relicensing anyway.

I don't like their new case logo either. Nothing 'Criterion' about it.

slop101
05-21-06, 11:00 AM
Since they don't own any films I assume they only hold home DVD rights.Doesn't Criterion own Rialto films?

And it could be that just like their dvd collection is more obscure than their laserdisc collection, that their HD collection could be even more obscure than their dvds.

dvd_luver
05-21-06, 12:00 PM
It has only been about a few days or so since I first saw Criterion's new look, I hate to say it, but the more I think about it and that floating "C" the more silly and unattractive it starts to appear to me. I said earlier well maybe it would grow on me, well only a few days have gone by and it has not at all. I can identify with their new look and what not now, as I have gotten used to it, but I just think this is so silly of a new look for them. And only a few days after I think that. Yikes, anybody else feel the same who has a few Criterions in their dvd collection?

Shagrath
05-21-06, 12:16 PM
I don't really have a huge problem with the "C" logo. I'm sure if it's better integrated into the art, it'll be okay. It's the tab with the year and Criterion Collection on the side that looks like it's just slapped on top of an existing cover with MS-Paint. If that wasn't so intrusive, I'd be okay with just the "C".

The Bus
05-21-06, 12:23 PM
I don't mind change but this is for the worse. Their website was already well-designed and their covers were analyzed and praised in graphic design journals.

No more.

spartanstew
05-21-06, 02:32 PM

Me too.

I throw away the cover art as soon as I get it anyway. Most of my DVD's have custom covers.

Reservoir
05-21-06, 03:27 PM
Since they don't own any films I assume they only hold home DVD rights.
Doesn't Criterion own Rialto films?
Who are they? That's just some MPEG logo stuck on the front of other people's property to make Rialto (http://www.rialtopictures.com), Criterion and Janus look important.

Yes, they help with the restoration and North American distribution but I've always felt a little bit uncomfortable with their logos which try to pass off some sort of ownership IMO.

They are good distributors no doubt.

HistoryProf
05-21-06, 03:33 PM
No Sir, I don't like it :(

clckworang
05-21-06, 03:55 PM
To be honest, I really don't care one bit about these changes. As long as Criterion continues to release films with great AV quality and strong extras, I can live with any of the changes they make to their covers. I don't buy movies for their covers anyway.

eXcentris
05-21-06, 05:09 PM
Another vote for: Frankly I don't give a damn.

Dead
05-22-06, 07:43 AM
Alright guys, let's please stop with the pissing match. It does absolutely nothing for the thread, which is supposed to be about people's opinions of Criterion's new direction in terms of cover-art and design.

Well said! :up:

Guys, comments like these just aren't good for discussion at all. Please stay on the topic and don't insult other members in the process.

maybe this will be a wake up call to obsessive compulsive...

jealous much?

that's a start.

*awaits Scott's attack on her character*

alfonsosoriano
05-22-06, 08:20 AM
haha scott's a tool

Celpacius
05-22-06, 10:11 AM
With HD and BlueRay here and around the corner, it's sorta too late to try for a new look for plain old dvds. Criterion should hold off on a new look until they jump into HD (or BlueRay).

They're not going to. HD and BR are not gonna replace dvds. I dont see any thing worthwhile for those two new mediums other than gaming.

Other than that, I hate their new look.

Bad placement and as a graphic designer myself, this has nothing on their old look.

Richard Malloy
05-22-06, 10:40 AM
Has anyone seen the spine artwork yet?

I like the new look. I liked the last change, as well. More importantly, Viridiana, Dazed & Confused, Yi Yi, Rohmer Box, and hopefully a couple more Godards and the Kurosawa/Tati re-issues before year's-end! And if they could sneak "Spirit of the Beehive" in there...

NatrlBornThrllr
05-22-06, 11:27 AM
http://criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/342_box_348x490.jpg

This couldn't possibly look more slapped together. HUGE thumbs down.
A shame, it would've been a nice looking boxed set cover, too...

-JP

dvd_luver
05-22-06, 11:45 AM
http://criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/342_box_348x490.jpg

This couldn't possibly look more slapped together. HUGE thumbs down.
A shame, it would've been a nice looking boxed set cover, too...

-JP

I wanted to make a comment earlier, that new "C" look with the lower banner constricts the artwork and if they had used the old Criterion banner, all they would have to do is move the 2 pictures up and leave enough space for the films title. And put the old banner on top, instead there is a huge "C" engulfing that actors face and the banner is taking away from the beauty of that photo on the lower left hand side. Haha.

GoldenJCJ
05-22-06, 11:51 AM
I don't mind change but this is for the worse. Their website was already well-designed and their covers were analyzed and praised in graphic design journals.

No more.
No Shit!

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That being said, I really don't collect Criterions (the few I do own are the ones "true" collector's hate)

Jaymole
05-22-06, 12:01 PM
The guy in the left hand coner of the Rohmer box has either a really big, silly looking moustache or an enormous booger coming out of his nose.

I hate the new design, it really makes the cover elements look slapped together, but as long as Criterion keeps the quality level to their usual high standards, I guess it really doesn't matter that much.

Reservoir
05-22-06, 12:53 PM
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5183/rohmer5ks.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Tough call?

I can't imagine many amateur graphic designers (http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/9302/goldinger5ke.jpg) following that awful first example that looks like an advert for a sofa company.

You know you're on to a great thing when your customers (let's call them fans in this case) have copied your template again and again for their dream releases.

yeldarb367
05-22-06, 01:37 PM
I'll miss the banner. :(

JesseCuster8
05-22-06, 01:47 PM
I really don't mind the "C" in principle. I think the Seduced and Abandoned cover is brilliant and could care less about the C versus the line. The Rohmer box, however, is just bad cover-art, especially when this set should be on-par with the wonderful Antoine Doniel set. Here, the C is just obtrusive. I'm really hoping they change the art itself, not necessarily the new logo. I'm betting the reason for this is so that the Eclipse series can match, but with a E instead.

nemein
05-22-06, 05:55 PM
haha scott's a tool

<i>Mod note: What did Dead just say right before your post? It's not like it was a minute or so before either, there we might have given you the benefit of the doubt in that maybe you were writting this profound "witticism" while Dead was writing his post. More than 1/2 hour later you decided to contribute to the problem... -ohbfrank-

For those that appearantly need it in monosyllabic... do not post if all you have to say is bad things about some one else.

</i>

Coral
05-22-06, 06:51 PM
I think it'd be better if the "C" was moved up further into the top left corner with a box around it. The artwork can be displayed without ever touching going inside the box.

The way it is now (with the Rohmer boxset cover) the C isn't as noticeable and at the same time it's also covering up some of the artwork.

dvd182
05-22-06, 07:56 PM
I don't really mind the new look, but it doesn't mesh well with the current look. I'd be happy with them keeping the current look for standard dvds, and using the new look for the HD/BR versions. It would give them something to differentiate with (besides the odd looking HD/BR cases).

slop101
05-22-06, 08:45 PM
I can't imagine Criterion mucking up their covers like that.
Maybe that "C" and the logo on the side are just stickers on the shrink-wrap, or some sort of paper overlay under the shrink-wrap?

gutwrencher
05-22-06, 09:29 PM
I really don't care either way....they can do what they want. It won't make me buy more or less.....nor will I enjoy the film more or less. I've never really cared about coverart and it will never make me not buy something. They can ship ANY dvd to me in a fucking paper bag and as long as it's undamaged.....I'll be just fine. I've made my own inserts for years....why not coverart if I need it?

mgoblue7
05-22-06, 10:17 PM
Well, after giving it time to grow on me, I still do not like it. I probably will not buy anymore Criterion titles.

...after I pick up the new Seven Samurai. Unless they release more Hitchcock. Or Renoir. Or Bergman. A Criterion of Syriana would be nice. I would break down for Lang. And maybe de Sica.

...or any other great movie with a quality transfer and informative supplaments.

So I guess I will continue to be Criterion, but every time I do I will take a moment to think "that is an ugly, stupid C."

PopcornTreeCt
05-23-06, 12:27 AM
It kinda sucks that Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro are gonna be re-released with that new crappy logo. I think I'll hold onto my old cover art.

Feathers McGraw
05-23-06, 04:21 AM
Someone over at criterionforum.org posted an example of what the Rohmer box would have looked like if Criterion had kept the old banner, and I think it looks a lot better. Everything just seems to blow better. The new "C" and tab look like they were just added in as an afterthought without actually integrating them into the color scheme of the cover.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6460/rohmer0dl.jpg

Much better than the new look.

The tilted, haphazard C just makes it look sloppy.

Brooklyn
06-01-06, 12:22 PM
It's not like the old/new numbers will be mixed up, so they won't be intertwined.

Unless the rereleases have the new style.