Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How difficult and costly is it to start playing the bass?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the last several months I've developed a strong liking to the bass and have thought about taking it up. How difficult is it? I have no other real music experience (other than the trumpet way back in junior high). How costly is equipment and lessons? My music tastes range from Rush & Primus to Iron Maiden and Anthrax.
Old 05-18-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can pick up a cheap bass and amp for 300 total. rush and primus bass playing is very difficult and you will have to be very skilled to play either. they are also 2 types of styles so you will have to learn both ways of playing. maiden and anthrax i assume are pretty basic bass but i could be wrong. im not a bass player but i do play guitar.
Old 05-18-06, 11:37 PM

Yeah, don't expect to play like Les Claypool after a year or two. That being said, it's an easy instrument to pick up. And like chino77 mentioned, a cheap bass and amp will run you around $300. Cheaper if you have no qualms in buying used gear.

It's all about holding down the beat and having a good sense of rhythm.
Old 05-19-06, 02:14 AM

i was thinking of getting a bass guitar, but i ended up buying a regular guitar (and amp). i have no idea what i am doing. i want to play like my favorite band hum. good luck on learning bass.
Old 05-19-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a bass. You won't get as many hot chicks as a guitarist or a lead singer, but you'll definitely get more than a drummer or a keyboardist.
Old 05-19-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can always start with a starter kit. Here is a link to some low cost starter packages :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...=100001+306318

Brands like Squier, Epiphone and Ibanez are decent bang for the buck brands, at least for guitars. Have to assume they are decent for basses as well.

If you really want to go cheap you can get something like this :

http://www.rondomusic.net/spb62k.html

If you want to read some reviews and see some forums on all things bass guitar ( equipment, set ups, lessons, etc ) check out :

http://www.harmony-central.com

Many there will probably recomend against a starter package, and will probably say go slightly higher end like a MIM ( made in Mexico ) Fender for ~400. Others will reccomened used.

One final comment. When/if you decide to get something, definately go to a store and check out what you are going to buy first. Even if your final purchase will be an online purchase. Go, hold and play the differant shapes and brands. The size and shape of the body, the feel of the neck. All important stuff. More than anything else this is very important.

Last edited by tcoursen; 05-19-06 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 06:19 PM

Thanks tcoursen and the rest. Of course I know that Lee & Claypool are masters and 'm not going to play like that anytime soon, most likely never, but those are the bands that have inspired me to want to play.