DVD Talk
The O.C. "The Graduates" 05/18/06 (aka who's gonna die) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The O.C. "The Graduates" 05/18/06 (aka who's gonna die)

sureAV421
05-18-06, 07:31 PM
Julie and Marissa have a huge disagreement. After having a heart attack, Sandy is rushed to the hospital. Kirsten and Seth are devastated. Taylor and Summer spy on Dr. Roberts. Ryan drops by Theresa's apartment to talk but she is not alone, Eddie and another man are there. Volchok also appears.

Doughboy
05-18-06, 07:51 PM
The actor(actress) who plays the soon-to-be-dead person has already spilled the beans. I don't think it's gonna shock anybody.

MFRONE
05-18-06, 08:13 PM
Hmmm...they seemed to have changed the promo, I thought they said someone "might not make it through the night."

Nick Martin
05-18-06, 08:59 PM
I know many people hated her, but I wasn't one of them.

I'm sorry to see her go - especially like that, at the very end of the episode. It's going to be a hell of a difficult wait to see what happens next season, which will hopefully open with Ryan killing that bastard Volchok once and for all.

One more thing - that synopsis was completely wrong.

Gizmo
05-18-06, 09:17 PM
Ugh. I didn't know Nick already saw the episode (Since its only NOW airing on the east coast). Oh well. Kinda figured anyway. If one had to go...I'd rather it be that person...if it is infact the one who 'spilled the beans'. If its Sandy, I'll never watch again.

Ok...cya all in 4 hours!

PopPit
05-18-06, 09:28 PM
Is that synopsis suppossed to be a joke?

Nick Martin
05-18-06, 09:32 PM
Ugh. I didn't know Nick already saw the episode (Since its only NOW airing on the east coast).

It airs here at 8PM EST because the canadian channel that airs it - CTV - airs CSI alongside the CBS broadcast...so it airs here twice, just like LOST.

And yes, that synopsis must be a joke, or false rumors thought of as fact.

Gizmo
05-18-06, 09:46 PM
Ugh. I hate you. I dont want to know!

PopPit
05-18-06, 09:55 PM
That was messed up.

dashiet
05-18-06, 09:59 PM
I'm sad to see her die since she's been there since the beginning. It's not gonna be the same without her. It doesn't matter to me anyway, I rarely even watch the show.

Nick Martin
05-18-06, 10:02 PM
Ugh. I hate you. I dont want to know!

What? Saying that synopsis is false isn't revealing what's true at all.

monkey42
05-18-06, 10:03 PM
So now Ryan has to face being charged with vehicular homicide, or telling the cops about Volchek and getting busted for grand theft auto.

sureAV421
05-18-06, 10:06 PM
someone should have told him his car has brakes on it. Its obvious though that they didn't want to destroy one of their expensive cars so they made his mom get a junker for a present.

Doughboy
05-18-06, 10:07 PM
A weak ending to a terrible season. Killing Marissa is fine by me. I never liked the bitch. But is that really the best Josh Schwartz(who wrote this episode) can come up with? Voltron going Grand Theft Auto on Ryan's car? And what exactly was his motivation? There are easier ways to get someone to pull over, I don't care how drunk you are. Christ, Johnny's death was done better than this.

About the only highlight for me was the Oliver reference. That's two season finales in a row they've made light of that horrible plotline. Although honestly, I almost long for the days of those episodes. At least there were other things going on in the show that kept it watchable.

What really worries me is that as I stated earlier, Schwartz scripted this dreck. I realize he didn't have much to work with thanks to the Season 3 writing staff, but there was hardly any of the wit or energy of Season 1. And he's supposed to be the show's savior this fall when he returns to producing it full-time.

On a side note, did Upchuck vs. Ryan take place near the same tunnel where Marty McFly got the almanac back from Biff? It sure looked like it.

sureAV421
05-18-06, 10:09 PM
anyone notice they used "hallelujah" as the ending song, ala the end of season 1? season 1 was jeff buckley, tonights was by imogen heap.

MFRONE
05-18-06, 10:11 PM
This whole episode was used to setup next season, I'm not worried about how he wrote this one.

MFRONE
05-18-06, 10:12 PM
anyone notice they used "hallelujah" as the ending song, ala the end of season 1? season 1 was jeff buckley, tonights was by imogen heap.
They should have stuck to Buckley's version. I also though they used another Imogen Heap song during the begining of the episode as well.

dashiet
05-18-06, 10:12 PM
I prefer Jeff's version, and I like imogen heap's other song from last season's finale better.

JacksModernLife
05-18-06, 10:17 PM
I enjoyed Marissa this episode; I like her when shes not so dramatic. The writers should have utilized her innocence instead of exploiting it. I also think the OC is going to spin this "death" as she died for a minute or something, which makes her re-evaluate her leaving and she decides to go to college and such.

Or she really is dead because Mischa wanted to leave.

I knew the minute she said she was gonna leave for a year, it was her "death" sentence tonight.

Very nostalgic episode though, made me feel all high school again; back to season 1.

Doughboy
05-18-06, 10:20 PM
This whole episode was used to setup next season, I'm not worried about how he wrote this one.

I am. If this is a sign of things to come, then why should I bother tuning in next season? Storywise, it appears that Taylor is going off to France, Summer is going off to Rhode Island, Seth will join her eventually, Kaitlin will get to repeat Marissa's Season 1 arc of constantly getting into trouble and driving her mom nutz, Sandy will go back to being a public defender, Kirstin.....she'll do nothing just like this entire past season, Julie's suddenly a warm-hearted, respectable member of the community(unless she kills Voltron), and speaking of which, Voltron is still around! Only Ryan's fate is up in the air. Will he go to Berkeley or hunt down Coldshank and kill him?

This is not the type of season finale that has me waiting eagerly for next September to roll around. If you want an example of how to do a season finale as a way to launch a show in a whole new direction, Angel Season 4's finale "Home" is how you do it.

MFRONE
05-18-06, 10:25 PM
Taylor is in the "circle" she'll be back as a main character. Everyone is not going to go running off now with the death, I don't know why you would think that 3 of the main characters are just going to be gone next season. Everything Swartz said about next season: Mini Cooper coming back, Taylor becoming a main character looks to be true. He said he's going to focus on the characters out of college and Kaitlin in high school, so people are not going to be leaving.

Doughboy
05-18-06, 10:27 PM
Taylor is in the "circle" she'll be back as a main character. Everyone is not going to go running off now with the death, I don't know why you would think that 3 of the main characters are just going to be gone next season. Everything Swartz said about next season: Mini Cooper coming back, Taylor becoming a main character looks to be true. He said he's going to focus on the characters out of college and Kaitlin in high school, so people are not going to be leaving.

I'll give him 3 episodes to show some progress. But even last year's finale(which also brought to a close a mediocre season) was better than this.

I can't wait to see how he explains Taylor abandoning her education(or at least severely altering her plans) because a girl she was never that close to died in a car accident.

DVD Josh
05-18-06, 10:34 PM
Thank you Josh Schwartz. I can now leave this show full circle. Rarely do you ever get the chance for that.

meritocracy
05-18-06, 10:46 PM
Even though this episode was simply setting events up for the well publicized retooling, it came off as an atrociously lazy and all-around uninspired finale. A fitting end to a supremely subpar season.

Schwartz's return may be nothing more than an attempt to move the deck chairs around. This boat's been sinking for quite some time.

Didn't care for Imogen's Buckley tribute, and I've been a fan of Imogen's long before this show gave her any exposure.

On a positive note, thank God the rumours were true. Ding dong, the witch is dead!

Rocketdog2000
05-18-06, 11:42 PM
I prefer Jeff's version, and I like imogen heap's other song from last season's finale better.

I think Buckley's version - of the many out there - is THE best one! He may not have written it (that was Leonard Cohen), but he certainly owned that song after his breathtaking perfomance of it. When that song played at the end of Season 1 - pretty much in it's entirety, no less - it was a moment of pure perfection in the history of popular music being used on TV.

So now we've got ...Song used at end of Season 1 + singer used at end of Season 2 = singer at end of Season 2 covering song from end of Season 1 = end of Season 3 (?)

Not surprised by who died, or who was responisble for it, just in how it happened. And yeah, she's dead, or they would have just let her take off sailing for the year - and then she could have turned up for a visit for time to time. But in TV, having someone die just gives it more "impact".

Of course it is TV, so you can never count on the people (characters) invovled to do the easy/obvious thing to prevent it from happening in the first place. That's what makes for "drama".

But damn if they didn't hook me into seeing how this turns out at the start of next season - at least for a little while.

Patman
05-19-06, 12:05 AM
Was it me, or this death scene last as long as the one in The Matrix Revolutions?

MrX
05-19-06, 12:13 AM
I haven't paid much attention to this the second half of the season but I may tune in the first few episodes next season to see what Ryan does to Volchak

AndyCleveland
05-19-06, 12:31 AM
graduation song: "Speeding Cars"
death scene: "Hallelujah"

both by the amazing Imogen Heap

critterdvd
05-19-06, 01:11 AM
Thank you Josh Schwartz. I can now leave this show full circle. Rarely do you ever get the chance for that.

I was thinking the same exact thing... I mean the entire episode SCREAMED: "Series Finale." All the flashbacks, "everythings changing," "it will never be the same," and "I'll miss yous" I actually thought I was watching a series finale for 95% of the of episodes (eventhough I knew it wasn't). But in a way it is a seires finale... I have this theory that every show that is one the air for a number of years has 'reboot' episodes that are basically pilots to a different series with more-or-less the same characters... Buffy did it with 'the freshman,' Alias has done is atleast once a year since 'phase one,' and so on... usually with these high school shows its always the college episodes that change things up.

I am just glad that I can now leave this show while there is still fodder to argue its watchability, and leave it in peace... and I'm glad that they went back to the beginning, like all good shows do...

riley_dude
05-19-06, 01:37 AM
So it's ok that this was a bad episode just because it was a set up for next season?
I didnt watch much of the season so I didnt even know who the guy was that ran them off the road but they didnt even give her a good death scene. Not sorry to see the character go though. She was annoying and I dont know if it was just the way she was written or Barton's portrayal or a bit of both. So I guess next season Ryan will revert to his edgy sulky Season one self.

Daniel-A
05-19-06, 01:47 AM
What an utterly boring episode. I never liked Marissa, and couldn't care less that she is gone. How they did it was utterly boring, though. And even though she had talked about her death and I read something about it in a thread here, I didn't know about it, but I wasn't surprised. This was yet another badly written episode in a season full of badly written episodes.

The only 2 good things about this season:
http://gallery.nikki-reed.org/albums/userpics/10001/30%7E9.jpg
http://autumn-reeser.com/gallery/albums/scans/maxim/normal_0004.jpg

riley_dude
05-19-06, 02:15 AM
What an utterly boring episode. I never liked Marissa, and couldn't care less that she is gone. How they did it was utterly boring, though. And even though she had talked about her death and I read something about it in a thread here, I didn't know about it, but I wasn't surprised. This was yet another badly written episode in a season full of badly written episodes.

The only 2 good things about this season:
http://gallery.nikki-reed.org/albums/userpics/10001/30%7E9.jpg
http://autumn-reeser.com/gallery/albums/scans/maxim/normal_0004.jpg
Oh brother.

Brent_MN
05-19-06, 04:23 AM
It would have been so much better had the teasers not informed us of a pending death. Any OC fan who follows whats going on knew it would be Marissa....I'm more looking forward to what all happens now...Wasn't Taylor only leaving for the summer anyways? Not sure about Kaitlen....they need a different actress for her... :( Buuut, that B to A, A to B thing was kinda funny.

I hope Dr. Roberts is a regular. He and Sandy could start a restaurant together! I don't care how bad y'all think the show may be, I will never abandon it. As long as Seth and Sandy are around, there is a glimmer of hope.

spainlinx0
05-19-06, 04:38 AM
Hey Ryan, just pull over. Isn't he supposed to have brains? Oh, that's right. Everything he does in this show contradicts that. Your choices are to pull over and kick the shit out of a drunk and stumbling Volcek, or you can head full speed into a dangerous turn. Well, I guess I'll just keep on driving like a fucking moron.

Doughboy
05-19-06, 08:33 AM
Wasn't Taylor only leaving for the summer anyways?

She's going away for the summer to defuse land mines in South Korea(now THAT would've been a creative way to off Marissa). But after that, she's headed to the Sorbonne. Like I said, it'll take some very clever writing to explain why she'd drop those plans and stick around Newport.

boogieman03
05-19-06, 09:08 AM
Yea I'm not really sure what to think of the finale.
I guess I'm not the only one who was thinking Ryan should of hit the breaks.
Mini Coop is "gonna rule Harbor"? HA.
Taylor is a freak. She and Summer need to hook it up. MMMMMMM

I've been wanting to drop this show for a while. This may be as good of place as any, especially with how busy Thurs is going to be next year.
Although I'm a little curious how they show going with people going to college.

magiccmom
05-19-06, 09:15 AM
Dont think I am going to be able to take Ryan's guilt about Marissa's death next year.
And even though I thought she was a terrible actress and they drove her storylines into the ground, I didnt like how they killed her off...seems unneccessary...because, I agree with the other poster, they could have left her sail off into oblivion. Now it just doesnt seem like the OC.
It could start Julie Cooper into a spiral though. She has been way to mellow for her acting talents!

Red Dog
05-19-06, 09:53 AM
Why doesn't anyone just hit the breaks and stop in that situation?

mdc3000
05-19-06, 10:00 AM
I thought it was one of the better episodes this season. Josh Schwartz seems to be the one who acutally knows how to write for these characters well...so I do have hopes for season 4. I did think the Marissa death scene was kind of weak...no tears or even rage from Ryan? Come on. Also, the being run off the road was pretty ridiculous...overall though, I enjoyed it and will stick with the show, especially to see how they handle the whole situation at the start of next season.

MATT

raven56706
05-19-06, 10:10 AM
marissa's best performance was her dieing.... :lol:

raven56706
05-19-06, 10:11 AM
Oh brother.

true dat :drool:

DEGRASSIFAN1980
05-19-06, 04:53 PM
love her death, cant wait for season 4. I hope ryan gets a new love interest

Daniel-A
05-19-06, 05:30 PM
love her death, cant wait for season 4. I hope ryan gets a new love interestHe gets 2 or 3 a year. I'd wager my savings that he gets a new love interest in s4

DEGRASSIFAN1980
05-19-06, 05:34 PM
i hope its someone very attractive, like sadie

riley_dude
05-19-06, 08:45 PM
i hope its someone very attractive, like sadie
I actually heard it was going to be a short fat girl.

critterdvd
05-19-06, 09:56 PM
I might get attacked for this, but who else kinda wishes that last night was the series finale..

Doughboy
05-19-06, 09:59 PM
I might get attacked for this, but who else kinda wishes that last night was the series finale..

I wish the Season 1 finale had ended the series.

MFRONE
05-19-06, 11:44 PM
If you don't like the show don't watch it.

Brent_MN
05-20-06, 01:08 AM

mmhmm.

wait, actually, keep watching it for ratings sake, but don't bitch about it :)

Daniel-A
05-20-06, 01:46 AM
I'd rather the season finale not be the series finale. I'd like to know what happens next, and I'd also like to see what Josh can do once he mans the helm again. Maybe he can get it back to the Season 1 the fans so loved.

tofu
05-20-06, 01:54 AM
Yeah, to the death scene. It was really cheesy but whatever it worked.

Like the scene with Caitlin saying that she would rule harbor. Next season sounds promising now at least.

Brent_MN
05-20-06, 02:14 AM
Like the scene with Caitlin saying that she would rule harbor. Next season sounds promising now at least.

she's a horrible actress?

...and, how do you watch the new eps in Germany?? -confused-

DVD Josh
05-20-06, 10:26 AM
she's a horrible actress?

...and, how do you watch the new eps in Germany?? -confused-

Bittorent is worldwide baby.

mdc3000
05-20-06, 10:40 AM
Hey, i'm starting to like Kaitlin!

MATT

Nick Martin
05-20-06, 12:37 PM
mmhmm.

wait, actually, keep watching it for ratings sake, but don't bitch about it :)

Tell that to people who post in CSI Miami threads - they exist solely as threadcraps with nothing remotely positive to say about the show other than 'it looks really good in HD'.

B.A.
05-20-06, 03:16 PM
Bring back "Sadie"(Nikki Reed)!

as meritocracy said - what a lazy, uninspired piece of writing by Josh Schwartz. Is he taking clues from Prison Break? WTF?

and Ryan continues to be the stupidest "smart" person on television.

They could have given us a bit more time w/ the girls in their bikinis. Or something.

critterdvd
05-20-06, 03:24 PM
I'll probably watch the premier to see what direction Josh Schwartz is going to try and take the show in next season, but I'll definately have to be impressed to stick around... Although one way to make me impressed is to bring Anna back again for longer than a single episode.

Chauzer
05-20-06, 05:26 PM
wow, perfect way to end this horrible season :lol:

they should jsut end the series now.. next season is probably gonna suck more

Daniel-A
05-20-06, 05:43 PM
Although one way to make me impressed is to bring Anna back again for longer than a single episode.Her current look does nothing for me. She gave her hot away. She looked fine in season 1, and on Entourage, but this season and in Maxim her hair made her look like she had no reason to be in the magazine.

riley_dude
05-20-06, 09:15 PM
Ohh Ohhhh. Someone who thinks we can only give opinions if they match their own??
Sorry if we don't all agree tht The OC has gone down in quality the last two years. I certainly wish it had stayed as fun and as well written as it was the first season.

JacksModernLife
05-20-06, 10:18 PM
Ohh Ohhhh. Someone who thinks we can only give opinions if they match their own??
Sorry if we don't all agree tht The OC has gone down in quality the last two years. I certainly wish it had stayed as fun and as well written as it was the first season.

No, I think that's the general consensus with everyone who watches the O.C,; we all yearn for season 1 again! It's the show we all love to hate.

Original Desmond
05-21-06, 02:27 AM
i don't read rumours so the Marissa death came outta the blue for me !

I liked this episode, picturing Taylor having a threesome with those korean lads made me horny

How the characters handle Marissa's death will make Season 4 worth watching

tofu
05-21-06, 03:09 AM
Bittorent is worldwide baby.
Yup, thank goodness for that and my slingbox.

But next season sounds like its going to turn into Saved By the Bell : the next class with Caitlin and her friends as the new class and Ryan being like Screech in the administrator roll.

Geofferson
05-21-06, 11:43 PM
I'll probably watch the premier to see what direction Josh Schwartz is going to try and take the show in next season, but I'll definately have to be impressed to stick around...
Same here. I'm glad he's coming back full-time, but if I'm not involved by the first 3 episodes, I'm bailing. I stuck with it this season with the hopes it'd improve...only to find that it never really did, IMO.

Anyway, I'm curious why this show was always a lock to return for a fourth season? Since its ratings reached a new low this season (and knowing FOX) I was surprised that its return was a sure thing.

riley_dude
05-22-06, 01:00 AM
Ironic how this is probably the longest OC thread in over a year. Maybe Josh killing Marissa was on to something kinda like the Moldavia wedding on Dynasty after all the buzz had stopped. At that point the show was way to far gone to ever make a comeback. Maybe, the OC will be able to do it. Maybe it won't

Daniel-A
05-22-06, 02:32 AM
Anyway, I'm curious why this show was always a lock to return for a fourth season? Since its ratings reached a new low this season (and knowing FOX) I was surprised that its return was a sure thing.Probably because of the demo that watches it. The ratings may have hit lows but for the "tween" set I'd wager it was #1 in its timeslot. And the tween brats pester their parents to buy whatever is advertised during the OC and seen on the OC.

critterdvd
05-22-06, 12:37 PM
Probably because of the demo that watches it. The ratings may have hit lows but for the "tween" set I'd wager it was #1 in its timeslot. And the tween brats pester their parents to buy whatever is advertised during the OC and seen on the OC.

plus, despite the low numbers think of when its on, Thursdays at 9pm... for FOX those 6 million viewers are gold, because they have never been able to pull those kinds of Thursday numbers... But next year going against "Grey's Anatomy" should be interesting. I live in college dorms, and I know a lot of people that watch both shows, and almost everybody said that they are watching "Grey's Anatomy" next year, although me and a couple friends plan on watching GA, while taping OC in another room and watching that afterwards...

superdeluxe
05-22-06, 03:35 PM
love her death, cant wait for season 4. I hope ryan gets a new love interest

Bring back lindsay to mess with ryan's head. Remember, she is 'family'

Lindsay was the only one that they didnt really break up..she just up and moved away.

Or you can bring back Haley..have haley hook up with ryan..more interesting family dynamics.

deadlax
05-23-06, 12:30 AM
Post Removed due to my own stupidity.