Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friends going to Australia...what should I have her bring back?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My good friend is heading to Australia for a month...of course, I'll use this opportunity to pick up some good oversea DVD's for myself.

What R4 DVD's are out there that are something special or that we don't have over here? I already know I want her to bring me back The Proposition.

What else should I put on the list?

= J
Old 05-17-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1900 - not available at all in R1. (there are some threads discussing this release, which apparently is quite good.)

STAR 80 - presented OAR; only F/S in R1

LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN - presented OAR. Don't think this is even out in R1

There are two Tarzan discs, each with three post-MGM Johnny Weissmuller titles, which have yet to see an R1 release. The quality is not the greatest, but they are cheap and fill the gap for now.

84 CHARING CROSS ROAD - OAR, only F/S in R1

You should check out the website for ezydvd to browse through what is currently available.
Old 05-18-06, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
My good friend is heading to Australia for a month...of course, I'll use this opportunity to pick up some good oversea DVD's for myself.

What R4 DVD's are out there that are something special or that we don't have over here? I already know I want her to bring me back The Proposition.

What else should I put on the list?

= J
Besides the fact that R4 DVDs are in PAL....

and besides the fact that THE PROPOSITION has no special features (and is rather expensive at the moment) ...

I would suggest that you trawl thru the 'specials' pages of sites like EzyDVD.com.au - AtlanticDVD.com.au - JBHiFionline.com.au - for local distributor specials (of which are always on !!) and find titles via that way. Note that specials are on for specific periods - normally a month or two.

You'll find that many US TV series are MUCH MUCH CHEAPER than in R1 land.

You'll find that EzyDVD and JB HiFi have stores in major shopping centres (steer clear of HMV and Sanity stores !!!)
Old 05-18-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course I know R4 DVD's are in PAL...I have many import DVD's already, as I am region free.

= J
Old 05-18-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nicole Kidman and/or Naomi Watts
Old 05-18-06, 02:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
One of those reverse flow toilets.
Old 05-18-06, 02:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
'The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert' Special Edition ... (for me)
Old 05-18-06, 03:08 PM

Depending on how much you like the films of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, you might consider asking your friend to pick up their late (in fact, their last) feature-length collaboration They're a Weird Mob -- though Pressburger used his pen-name Richard Imrie. It's an amusing valentine to 1960s Australia as seen through the eyes of an Italian immigrant. It's no masterpiece, but it is a lot of fun, and the R4 release contains a nice making-of documentary from the same time period.
Old 05-18-06, 05:20 PM

TRUST - excellent dark comedy film from Hal Hartley. Only available on dvd in Australia as far as I know.. it's got a good transfer and some nice extras. A must have.
Old 05-19-06, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
What about Lantana special edition with Anthony LaPaglia? I think the R1 version is bare bones, but the Australian version is pretty souped up?
Old 05-19-06, 11:42 AM

Doc Martin
Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie

Two great TV movies featuring the character Martin Clunes played in the film Saving Grace, which is also inexpensive down under.

I'd also say pick up series one of the Doc Martin TV series, but that can be had cheaper from AmazonUK.
Old 05-19-06, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
1900 - not available at all in R1. (there are some threads discussing this release, which apparently is quite good.)
1900 is a good one but can be obtained easily from CD WOW. $13.95 before voucher.
Old 05-20-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quite a few shops in Australia seem to have in stock the New Zealand LE edition of 2046 which is a direct port of the French metal coffret and of superb quality (including all the extras), which in fact was released awhile ago in Australia and is now OOP. So, if you truly want to get something valuable I would ask for the R4 NZ LE of 2046.

The R4 disc of I Stand Alone is good to have as well!!

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 05-20-06, 06:15 PM

You might like to check out Bliss; an earlier film by Ray Lawrence, the director of Lantana. It not available anywhere else.

MichaelDVD Review...

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ws.asp?ID=6776

Wouldn't mind that LE of 2046 myself but can't find any stores which actually have stock. Pro-B, if you have any suggestions, that would be great!

Glennza
Old 05-20-06, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
'The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert' Special Edition ... (for me)

I'm pretty sure this is OOP now
Old 05-21-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Glennza
Pro-B, if you have any suggestions, that would be great!
Glennza

1. Gaspar Noe's (Irreversible) I Stand Alone is the only direct, anamorphic, port of the French disc with English subs. A must-have!

2. Tony Gatlif's (Latcho Drom) Swing also a direct port of the French disc and of excellent quality!!

3. Louis Malle's recently released Les Amants I would certainly consider.

4. The Russian production The Stroll (the Russian DVD is not in the proper aspect ratio).

5. A Touch of Spice (2DVD)- a spectacular Greek film which received a lavish treatment in Australia mainly due to the fact that there is huge Greek community there. This was Greece's official Oscar entry two years ago. Very much an Amelie-Greek style love story with excellent cinematography!! The only English-friendly release (including the extras).

6. Vengo- Tony Gatlif's R4 release is better than any other English-friendly disc.

7. The Aussie disc of Kusturica's Black Cat White Cat is also a direct port of the French TF1/Dutch release. Even though Artificial Eye are now releaseing it in the UK I would think that the Aussie disc will be times cheaper!

8. Angelopoulos' Eternity and a Day, a Cannes Winner, is also out in Australia. (The upcoming Greek disc will definitely be pricier).

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-21-06 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-21-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love´s Brother - The R4 is superior to any other region.