Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Frustrated Daughtry fans say they were greeted with message for McPhee

Some callers claim ‘Idol’ votes were misdirected
Frustrated Daughtry fans say they were greeted with message for McPhee

Fox
Chris Daughtry was sent home on the May 10 "American Idol" episode and many viewers were shocked. But were the votes counted accurately?

"American Idol" sent rocker Chris Daughtry home Wednesday night, but Daughtry's fans aren't quite ready to let him go. At least one online petition, with more than 16,000 names attached, is calling for a recount of the "American Idol" votes.

MSNBC.com has received numerous e-mails and bulletin board posts claiming that voters who dialed the first of Daughtry's two phone numbers were greeted by a recorded message from "Idol" singer Katharine McPhee, thanking the caller for voting for her. According to Wednesday night's show, McPhee received the second-lowest number of votes, after Daughtry. The Associated Press cited Tracey Adams, a family friend of Daughtry's, saying that fans from his North Carolina hometown were among those who heard another contestant's voice when calling for Daughtry.

One fan who wrote to MSNBC.com said: "They had another voting mess-up. When I called to vote for Chris, Katharine says Thanks for voting for me. I thought I dialed the wrong number, so I tried again to hear Katharine, again. People were trying to vote for Chris...not Katharine! That's why Chris went home......GRRRR...REDO please!”

Other voters claimed that they were able to get through on both of Daughtry's numbers and heard his voice, not McPhee's. Still others said that despite calling solidly for two hours, they were never able to get through and place a vote for Daughtry.

FOX was not able to immediately respond to a request for comment late Thursday night.

Bulletin boards, of course, also offer up their share of inaccurate information. Some Thursday postings claimed that Ryan Seacrest had made an announcement that he had read incorrect phone numbers, and that because of this, Daughtry would be returned to the show. A replay of the Wednesday-night show does not appear to show any incorrect numbers given, nor has Daughtry been returned to the show as of late Thursday.

The news wasn't all bad for Daughtry this week. Thursday night he was offered a job with the band Fuel. Bass player Jeff Abercrombie and guitarist Carl Bell made their pitch on the TV show “Extra.”

“Chris, if you are watching, we’ve talked about this before, and if you want to entertain it again we’ll take it and go,” Abercrombie said. The buzz around Daughtry for weeks has been that he could end up the band’s lead singer. He performed the band’s song “Hemorrhage” on a recent “Idol” show.

"American Idol" has faced complaints about its phone lines before. In March of last year, incorrect phone numbers were listed for contestants Anwar Robinson, Mikalah Gordon, and Jessica Sierra. The phone numbers are always listed twice for each contestant, once as a number and once in a kind of shorthand, incorporating the letters on the phone that spell out IDOLS.

For Robinson, Gordon and Sierra, the numbers spelled out using letters were correct, but the complete phone numbers printed below those numbers were incorrect. Viewers who called the second numbers intending to vote for Robinson, Gordon or Sierra would be instead casting votes for contestants Anthony Fedorov, Carrie Underwood or Scott Savol. The errors were not corrected before the show aired on the West Coast.

A FOX representative blamed the errors on an outside contractor and said that person had been reprimanded. The network then aired a new performance show the night after the incorrect numbers were shown, reopened the voting, and moved the results show from Wednesday to Thursday.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12748906/
Old 05-12-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let him go, you freaks. He's in a better place now.
Old 05-12-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder if that's true. Anyway, I am very very relieved that Paris Bennett was voted off before this week.
Old 05-12-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh no! The system that allows sheep to vote multiple times for their favorite manufactured "star" is flawed! Alert the presses!
Old 05-12-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any bets on if Katherine McPhee gets taken out by a crazed fan with a lead pipe before the show on Tuesday?
Old 05-12-06, 08:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just tasted this fruit that grows on a vine, and boy is it sour.
Old 05-12-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-12-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who cares.

He's already got a band offer. The winner of AI is useful for nothing more than that person's fans saying 'OMG I TOLD YOU THIS PERSON WAS GONNA WIN!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!'.
Old 05-12-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Remind me to add the assasination of Simon Cowell to my time machine duties.
Old 05-12-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Who cares.

He's already got a band offer. The winner of AI is useful for nothing more than that person's fans saying 'OMG I TOLD YOU THIS PERSON WAS GONNA WIN!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!'.
any idea who teh band is? They said it was a famous band that he's a fan of. (course that last part could be him just being PC).

Anyone have any idea?
Old 05-12-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuel.
Old 05-12-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
any idea who teh band is? They said it was a famous band that he's a fan of. (course that last part could be him just being PC).

Anyone have any idea?
To be fair, Mr. ESQ doesn't bold.

It's in the article in the original post, 5th paragraph from the end.
Old 05-12-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
The news wasn't all bad for Daughtry this week. Thursday night he was offered a job with the band Fuel. Bass player Jeff Abercrombie and guitarist Carl Bell made their pitch on the TV show “Extra.”
Any idea where teh announcement was made? They said it would be announced on some "show."

Anyone have any idea?

Old 05-12-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Y2K and I must be on the same wavelength.
Old 05-12-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Any bets on if Katherine McPhee gets taken out by a crazed fan with a lead pipe before the show on Tuesday?
Is Tanya Harding scheduled to be in LA anytime soon???
Old 05-12-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I apologize for my lack of reading comprehension
Old 05-12-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was just watching TOMBSTONE and this guy lost at cards to Doc Holiday. He got all mad such and said he was cheated. Wanted ta start a lil gunfight.

I guess whining when things don't go your way isn't all that new.
Old 05-12-06, 01:29 PM

People need to give it a rest. The only thing getting kicked off of Idol did was spare Chris Daughtery from making a crappy CD with Clive Davis peeping over his shoulder. Chris actually did win...
Old 05-12-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by zebop
People need to give it a rest. The only thing getting kicked off of Idol did was spare Chris Daughtery from making a crappy CD with Clive Davis peeping over his shoulder. Chris actually did win...
Yeah, but isn't Chris contractually obligated to participate in the Top 12 American Idol tour or whatever it is? Even after they get voted off the show and are not crowned the winner, their participation in American Idol is far from over. But I do see your point. He probably had less to gain by winning the whole thing.
Old 05-12-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Still, it's nice to win even if getting kicked out now makes him a bigger star.

Since I am woefully unfamiliar with today's music, I ask this: Is Fuel a top band? I've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything.
Old 05-12-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Still, it's nice to win even if getting kicked out now makes him a bigger star.

Since I am woefully unfamiliar with today's music, I ask this: Is Fuel a top band? I've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything.
Fuel a top band today? No. 5 years ago? Again no, but that was about the last time they had a hit.
Old 05-12-06, 03:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't that in their manic attempts to vote for Chris that they simply misdialed.
Old 05-12-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yeah, but isn't Chris contractually obligated to participate in the Top 12 American Idol tour or whatever it is? Even after they get voted off the show and are not crowned the winner, their participation in American Idol is far from over. But I do see your point. He probably had less to gain by winning the whole thing.
yep, unless a lawyer gets him out of it
Old 05-12-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

isn't fuel a 1-hit wonder band so far?
Old 05-12-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
They've had two songs that have gotten heavy rotation, Shimmer in 1998 and Hemorrhage in 2000. I always thought they were a better live band than a studio band. They have toured extensively for the last 10 years and have a platinum album as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_%28band%29

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.