Old 05-09-06, 01:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Early look at the fall schedule

CW

An Early Look at the CW Fall Schedule
By: Jimmie Manning, About.com Television Columnist

As fans of on-the-bubble series such as Veronica Mars, Everwood, and One Tree Hill wait anxiously to learn whether or not their beloved series will return, insider reports suggest that organizing a fall schedule for the new WB/UPN hybrid network The CW has been filled with anxiety as well. Reports suggest that the upstart network has been plagued by a poor development season and interpersonal conflicts among executives.

Regardless, on Thursday, May 18 a new schedule for the network will be announced, and it continues to become more unclear as to how things will finally shake down.

MONDAY

While there has been talk for 7th Heaven to return to the night, fans of the family series should not get their hopes up for its return. Instead, expect the new drama series Runaway, a family thriller starring Donnie Wahlberg as the father to a family of fugitives on the run. Everwood is likely to return to the night, although it may have to share its timeslot with the new Aquaman series Mercy Reef. Even though Mercy has been in developmental hell, many feel it will be ready in time for a midseason debut. Insiders report that talk of airing comedy series on the night were also explored, but that these talks were quashed due to CBS’s successful comedy block.

TUESDAY

It is almost certain that the much hoped for pairing of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars will happen. Expect Veronica Mars to rest midseason, though, as drama Split Decision receives a trial run. Pepper Dennis, mired by poor ratings and high production costs, is unlikely to return.

WEDNESDAY

A rotation of America’s Next Top Model and Beauty and the Geek are likely to open the night, followed by the return of One Tree Hill. New Kevin Williamson drama Palm Springs will likely premiere in place of One Tree Hill at midseason to give the former series a rest from repeats. While Everybody Hates Chris and new Wayne Brady comedy Flirt are also being considered for the post-Model slot, chances are they will be needed for the comedy-intense Sunday lineup.

THURSDAY

A Smallville and Supernatural pairing seem almost certain at this point. Many pundits predict Mercy Reef to enter the night, but insiders report that the network is unlikely to toy with the success they already have on Thursday.

FRIDAY

Wrestling will continue to air on Friday night.

SUNDAY

The network is expected to air a night of comedies, although Reba will most likely not be included in the mix. Everybody Hates Chris and Girlfriends are shoo-ins for renewal, and new projects Flirt and She Said, He Said are looking promising. Girlfriends spin-off, The Game also looks good for a go, and expect All of Us to return for a new season as well. The Beginnings franchise is rumored to be coming to an end, and no WB sitcoms are expected to join the CW lineup.
http://tvdramas.about.com/od/tvshows...wearlylook.htm

ABC

An Early Look at the ABC Fall Schedule!
From TV News Correspondent Jimmie Manning

Last year television fans were buzzing with talk about Commander in Chief and Invasion as the potential new hits on ABC while denouncing the sad state of ABC’s comedy slate. Unfortunately for ABC, Commander in Chief and Invasion quickly faded and ABC’s comedy roster has continued to deteriorate.

According to insiders, this year ABC is employing a new strategy in constructing its fall schedule: take its six biggest hits, stretch them across the network’s programmed nights, and surround them with compatible programs. What does this mean for fans of the ABC network? A look night by night:

MONDAY

ABC is committed to moving the white hot Grey’s Anatomy to the night, and the network plans on pairing it with Six Degrees , an ensemble show about six young New Yorkers from executive producer JJ Abrams. The show tested well and should hold on to a considerable chunk of the Grey’s Anatomy audience. Currently the network is looking at opening the night with new Alicia Silverstone comedy Pink Collar, although Wifeswap or Supernanny may take its place if the show does not test well.

TUESDAY

Boston Legal will most likely air an hour earlier to make room for compatible new drama Brothers & Sisters , another program performing well with test audiences. The network is currently sifting through sophisticated comedies to open the night, although Wifeswap may make a move to Tuesdays. An According to Jim renewal is highly unlikely.

WEDNESDAY

The network is high on David Arquette comedy In Case of Emergency and believes the buzz it will generate may provide for a wider audience for the low-rated but still likely to be renewed Sons & Daughters. That comedy duo may instead open Tuesday. Of course, Lost will remain in the anchor spot for the network with the action-packed Traveler a virtual lock to air in the coveted post-Lost time period. Invasion and Freddie are not expected to return, although George Lopez may get an additional season.

THURSDAY

Dancing with the Stars will return in the fall with an all new edition, most likely leading in to the new Heather Locklear and Patricia Heaton sitcoms Women of a Certain Age and The Patricia Heaton Show, respectively. Though Commander in Chief was being considered to close the night for the fall, that is now highly unlikely and Primetime Live will almost certainly be back.

FRIDAY

ABC is hopeful about the buzz executive producer Elton John and star Kim Cattrall will generate for Him & Us, making it a compatible pairing with the Dancing with the Stars results show. Dancing with the Stars will then lead in to Men in Trees, a promising new drama starting Anne Heche that tested well with audiences and is a favorite of the ABC executives. News perennial 20/20 will close the night.

SATURDAY

Movies and Disney specials will likely continue to run on the night, although the network was reportedly considering moving many of its aging comedy series (Hope & Faith, George Lopez, According to Jim) to the night. While this is highly unlikely, it is about the only hope these series have of being renewed.

SUNDAY

ABC had considered moving Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to an earlier time period, but has instead decided to keep the entire night in tact with the exception of Grey’s Anatomy. Most likely to take the post- Desperate Housewives slot is Secrets of a Small Town, a pilot that has been well received by test audiences and features the star power of Denise Richards and Angie Harmon.
http://tvdramas.about.com/od/tvshows...abcpreview.htm

These are the only two up right now
Old 05-09-06, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the update, cw does have a lot options, hope to see shows like everwood, one tree hill survive

grey moves to monday night, not sure about that one...
Old 05-09-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Grey's Anatomy will kill in just about any time slot they move it to.

to Boston Legal most likely being on an hour earlier.
Old 05-09-06, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have to wait for mid-season for Veronica Mars
Old 05-09-06, 05:00 AM
Banned

I've got my fingers crossed for "Sons & Daughters". That was a show that got funnier as it went along and really won me over.
Old 05-09-06, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
Really?

At least it's coming back.
Old 05-09-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops, sorry, I got it reversed. VM will start, but then break at midseason. Sorry - read it too fast.
Old 05-09-06, 06:54 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't believe In Justice is not in the fall lineup and basically disappeared from the schedule after it's initial 13 episode run. That's disappointing as I enjoyed going back and watching it during the week after I DVR'd it on Friday nights. Oh well...I guess I'll just have to stick to Las Vegas on Fridays.
Old 05-09-06, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
I've got my fingers crossed for "Sons & Daughters". That was a show that got funnier as it went along and really won me over.
Agreed. They sat on the Tivo for awhile, but when I got around to them I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-09-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just FYI on Veronica Mars should season 3 happen:

Spoiler:
Rob Thomas has talked about splitting up the season into 3 mystery arcs that are more or less self-contained in 7-episode chunks, with one arc being 8-episodes long, it's easier to get guest-stars to sign on for shorter 2-month commitments than a full TV season commitment. This will allow for mid-season drop-in programming in VM's timeslot, instead of showing repeats.
Old 05-09-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sons & Daughters was a great show.

Hoping Sons & Daughters and Everwood return.
Old 05-09-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Monday is a much better day for watching TV but it looks like I will continue to record Grey's Anatomy unless the Monday Night Football game is a stinker. Wish they moved it to Wednesday.
Old 05-09-06, 08:33 AM
Suspended

A lot of the ABC pilots sound interesting. What's "Traveler?"
Old 05-09-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
What's "Traveler?"
Old 05-09-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Invasion ... [is] not expected to return...
Boo! Hopefully the season ends satisfactorily concluded.
Old 05-09-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm bummed that Invasion most likely won't be back.
Old 05-09-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am glad that it sounds like the CW is looking at rotating series midseason. Everyone has been debating the fall schedule and there has been a lot of talk about there not being enough slots for Everwood and other shows. But it seems obvious to me that they should have shows share a time slot. Run a show like Everwood for four months straight and then drop another series into the slot at mideseason. Everwood was on hiatus from December through March this year.
Old 05-09-06, 01:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by movieking

Well, a side benefit is that more people (including myself) will get all caught up on the 2nd season dvd before beginning the 3rd. (like many, I missed out on VM s2 due to the late s1 dvd release)
Old 05-09-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with the love for Sons & Daughters. Hope it returns.
Old 05-09-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I really don't want to see Boston Legal moved up to 9. DEK will have to tone things down to deal the FCC Nazis.

Sounds like good news for OTH and Sons & Daughters.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-09-06 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 02:50 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I'm bummed that Invasion most likely won't be back.
Me too.
Old 05-09-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any way possible to help keep Invasion? This has turned out to be one of the best suprises of this season.
Old 05-09-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the creator of Sons & Daughters signed a development deal with NBC. Did I get that wrong? I figured that meant the end of that show, but apparently I'm wrong. If they put it in the right time slot, I might just check its progress next year some time.
Old 05-09-06, 04:17 PM

I really hate the midseason rotation crap. I always seem to forget about the shows or what the hell happened. If shows are going to share time slots, then why not complete the run of one show before moving on to another.

I am guessing What About Brian is not going to survive?
Old 05-09-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sq240
I really hate the midseason rotation crap. I always seem to forget about the shows or what the hell happened. If shows are going to share time slots, then why not complete the run of one show before moving on to another.

I am guessing What About Brian is not going to survive?
ABC kept Jack in Progress last season even though the ratings weren't good at all. It is possible that since ABC doesn't have MNF anymore, that they could keep What About Brian at 10pm on Monday and see if the moving Grey's Anatomy to Monday 9pm will help leadout to higher ratings for Brian. More likely as the article mentioned, they will probably pair GA with that JJ Abrams show.

Furthermore, the executive producer of what about brian has another show, women of a certain age with Heather Locklear so it's kind of doubtful What about Brian will be coming back.

What I am pretty sure will happen next Spring is that American Idol will go three nights at first and then move to Wednesday and Thursdays. Fox has been hesitant in the past to do this but I think they will pull the trigger this time around.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.