Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are Towering Inferno & Poseidon Adventure dvds worth getting?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen either Towering Inferno or Poseidon Adventure. Are both good blind buys?

I've heard some people say that T.I. is much better than P.A. due to better fx and could still be appreciated by today's audiences while P.A.'s appeal is more only towards nostalgia of the early 70s disaster movies.
Old 05-08-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This should probably go in the Reviews and Recommendations and/or DVDtalk forum.
Old 05-08-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, you may be right.

I was actually looking into the movies themselves and not the dvds' features.
Old 05-08-06, 11:42 PM
Banned

oh no he's posting in teh wrong forum!!!! burn him at the stake!!
Old 05-09-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I liked Poseidon Adventure when I saw it last, although it has been many years. I've never seen Towering Inferno.

I would say yes to Poseidon Adventure, but I probably wouldn't pay a lot for it.
Old 05-09-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I think these are the 2 best 70's disaster flicks you can get and with the deal to get both at Amazon for a little over $20 shipped, they make a great blind buy.
Old 05-09-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The two greatest cheesy all-star disaster movies. Definitely worth getting. The fx is about the same on both, pretty good for those days. Plenty of likable characters to root for in either one.
Old 05-09-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by ytrez
I think these are the 2 best 70's disaster flicks you can get and with the deal to get both at Amazon for a little over $20 shipped, they make a great blind buy.
They are the two best of the '70s disaster flicks, unless you count the original Airport which is better movie than both. Poseidon doesn't have all the corny cliches that became standard to the later ones, but it does have a few. Towering Inferno was a much bigger hit than Poseidon, introduced most of the cliches and became the blueprint for all the cheesy films that followed.
Old 05-09-06, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Plenty of likable characters to root for in either one.
Such as O.J.

Seriously...these are two of the must have disaster flicks. Airport and Earthquake are probably a notch below them in my book, but still must haves.
Old 05-09-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both are Irwin Allen formula movies, dated and the all-star casts give them a made for TV feel. What if The Love Boat Flipped Over?

That said. I grew up watching these movies. Poseidon Adventure WAS one of my favorites. I have watched The Towering Inferno two or three times.

I was a big Land Of The Giants / Time Tunnel / Lost In Space / Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea fan. So I like Irwin Allen.

But I gotta say ...

Rent Them.
Old 05-09-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was first exposed to The Poseidon Adventure when I was eight or nine and caught it on Disney Channel (out of all places) late one night in a horribly edited pan-and-scanned version. It's always been a guilty pleasure of mine and I am excited that it now has a worthy DVD release.

Caught The Towering Inferno a year or two later, mostly because I was such a fan of The Poseidon Adventure. I haven't seen it in years, but I did enjoy it, but didn't think much else of it other than it was too long.
Old 05-09-06, 08:06 PM
Banned

There are good characters in POSEIDON ADVENTURE it's very good drama. And I just watched the TOWERING INFERNO 2-DISC DVD and that dvd is loaded! You get a booklet, nice box cover and lots making of features. And for the price it's worth it.
There's no way your blowing your money if you blind buy this dvd.
I believe Amazon has it for $12.99.
Old 05-09-06, 08:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
a "digitally remastered" version of TPA is on AMC this Thursday (5/11) at 8:00pm.

i didn't like TPA at all. was too cheesy even for my tastes. i thought Hackman's performance was just off.

i bought TTI because i love McQueen and Newman and always wanted to see it and like most have said for the price...
Old 05-10-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
oh no he's posting in teh wrong forum!!!! burn him at the stake!!
C'mon now, no need for the sarcasm. The poster was cordial and polite in informing him of other forums where he might get more appropriate answers. Or at the very least...a different thread title (one asking about the films as opposed to the DVDs) might work.

I had the same thought when I saw the thread title in the movie forum.

-JP