Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Grant McLennan (Go-Betweens) died this past weekend

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-08-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I know they never made it big in the US, but I'm still surprised there's no thread about this already. Anyway, Grant McLennan died in his sleep at the age of 48 two days ago. More information here.

Robert Forster has said that this is the end of the Go-Betweens.
Old 05-08-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
*sniff

There was talk about this on a music list I'm on.
Old 05-09-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG, that's horrible. I'm on vacation right now and didn't have net access and didn't know of this until I just read your post. I haven't been this bummed about a musician's death since Kirsty MacColl.

Grant released nothing but top notch solo work in the 90's and 00's. I love the Go-Betweens as well and have nearly all of their work, but I usually liked Grant over Robert's songs.

I was just listening to a live Go-Betweens album this past weekend. What awful news. I'm really going to miss hearing his future songs, but at least there are many wonderful albums out there waiting for people to discover.
Old 05-09-06, 12:20 PM

So sad. The Go-betweens put out some of the best pop records of all time in my opinion. And their latest(last ever) album, Oceans Apart, is just as great as their 80's classics like Liberty Belle and 16 Lovers Lane.
Grant was a GREAT songwriter, and he will be surely missed by his fans.
Old 05-09-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks for posting this as I had not heard this news. I had several Go-Between CDs and some of Grant's CDs, but hadn't been following them or him for a couple of years. He was certainly very talented and his work should have been known to many more people.

(Yes, it was also upsetting to me when I heard that Kirsty MacColl had died at such a young age. Along with Joe Strummer and Elliot Smith.)
Old 05-17-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Allmusic.com has an excellent article about Grant on their front page. Complete with music clips.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=61::65QP