Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox orders two pilots; "ER" may shift nights (other networks news inside)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060508/...pilots_ii_dc_1

By Nellie Andreeva
1 hour, 38 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Fox Broadcasting Co. has jumpstarted more of its 2006-07 primetime schedule with early pickups for two drama pilots, "Primary" and "American Crime."

"Primary" stars Ron Livingston and Rosemarie DeWitt as hostage negotiators who balance their budding relationship and their job. "American Crime," featuring "Alias" veteran Victor Garber, is an ensemble about high-profile defense attorneys.

They join drama pilot "Vanished" and comedy pilot "'Til Death," in getting series orders from Fox well in advance of the broadcast networks' fall schedule unveilings, set to take place next week in New York. Buzz was building on Friday that Fox was eyeing a renewal of the domestic comedy "The War at Home" as a possible companion to "'Til Death," which stars Brad Garrett and Joely Fisher as a long-married couple.

There also was speculation that Fox was looking to resurrect the animated series "Futurama," from "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, on its Sunday lineup the same way that "Family Guy" was brought back last year. The network has an option for new episodes, which currently are being produced for Cartoon Network's Adult Swim late-night block.

Meanwhile, the chatter also was beginning to build last week that NBC is eyeing a move of its veteran drama "ER" out of the Thursday 10 p.m. slot that has been its home since the series premiered in 1994. There was speculation that the network could look to bolster its fortunes on Tuesday or Wednesday by shifting "ER" to a 9 p.m. or 10 p.m. slot and pair it with "Law & Order" or "Law & Order: SVU." NBC's new drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which earned its formal greenlight last week, was said to be the contender for the Thursday 10 p.m. berth if "ER" moves.

At ABC, the industry's focus was centered last week on whether a move was in store for Sunday dynamos "Desperate Housewives" or "Grey's Anatomy." There was talk that "Housewives" could be headed for a Monday berth, as ABC prepares for its first fall launch without "Monday Night Football" in 36 years, and that "Grey's" could be bumped up from its current 10 p.m. slot to 9 p.m. Sunday in order to give a new show the benefit of its lead-in.

The pilot pickup picture at ABC is still hard to read, but good vibes seem to be surrounding drama "Day Break," starring Taye Diggs as a cop on the run; an untitled bank-heist drama; as well as "Drift," "Six Degrees" and the telenovela adaptation "Ugly Betty." Among comedies, the heat still seems to be on the rock star comedy "Him and Us"; an untitled project starring Donal Logue and featuring Mick Jagger; "In Case of Emergency," starring David Arquette and Greg Germann; and "Help Me Help You," featuring Ted Danson. "George Lopez" and "Freddie," two ABC comedies that had been on the bubble for renewals, are said to be looking good to return.

CBS is said to be poised to add hot midseason drama "The Unit" and midseason comedy "The New Adventures of Old Christine" to its previously announced roster of returning series, while veteran "The King of Queens" is not expected back in the fall. Among pilots, the top drama contenders at CBS are said to include "Jericho," about a small town isolated from the rest of the world after a nuclear disaster; "Shark," starring James Woods as a celebrity attorney-turned-prosecutor; and an untitled legal drama from "CSI" executive producer Carol Mendelsohn.

Over at the nascent CW, the pilot "Flirt," starring Wayne Brady, looks like the one to beat on the comedy side. Meanwhile, the WB Network's "Reba" is not expected to move to CW for a sixth season after UPN and WB fold their tents in the fall.

The show at present is wrapping up the first year of a two-year pickup struck last year between WB and "Reba" producer 20th Century Fox TV, which means its cancellation won't come cheap for CW. Sources said the decision will cost CW as much as $20 million, including compensating the studio for lost syndication revenues from the sixth-season episodes that will not be produced.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Chris
Old 05-08-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they really do move ER (actually, whether they do or not), it would seem to me that ABC would be missing a golden opportunity to use GA for all it's worth by putting it on Thursdays at 10.
Old 05-08-06, 01:16 AM
Banned

Even though ER is still chugging along successfully, moving it to another night might speed up its demise. Although considering how old the show it, it would be smart for NBC to try to inject new blood into that time slot, considering how badly they're struggling with shows.
Old 05-08-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by mrpayroll reported
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060508/...pilots_ii_dc_1

There also was speculation that Fox was looking to resurrect the animated series "Futurama," from "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, on its Sunday lineup the same way that "Family Guy" was brought back last year. The network has an option for new episodes, which currently are being produced for Cartoon Network's Adult Swim late-night block.
In fact, get rid of "Family Guy", thereby freeing up $cratch for production of new "Futurama" eps.

Meanwhile, the chatter also was beginning to build last week that NBC is eyeing a move of its veteran drama "ER" out of the Thursday 10 p.m. slot that has been its home since the series premiered in 1994. There was speculation that the network could look to bolster its fortunes on Tuesday or Wednesday by shifting "ER" to a 9 p.m. or 10 p.m. slot and pair it with "Law & Order" or "Law & Order: SVU." NBC's new drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which earned its formal greenlight last week, was said to be the contender for the Thursday 10 p.m. berth if "ER" moves.
Yeah. That'll last about as long as L&O's move to 9pm. Stupid NBC.

...or better yet, start production on ER: Africa and then pair that show with L&O...
Old 05-08-06, 07:01 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Out of everything they talked about, I'll be sad to see Reba go.
Old 05-08-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who the hell watches The War at Home? I watched one episode and it made me want to scoop out my brain with a spoon.
Old 05-08-06, 08:40 AM

If they move ER to tues against House....I would die.
Old 05-08-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JacksModernLife
So would ER.
Old 05-08-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The constant Futurama rumours are driving me crazy. Just bring it back already!!!! Oh, and there are some people that can like The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, and American Dad at the same time.
Old 05-08-06, 10:17 AM

I wish they would leave ER where it is. I hate when they move shows around after bing a certain day and time for years. Thats how half the shows on ABC die.
Old 05-08-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read in TV Guide that CBS is consdering moving Without a Trace to Sunday also.

It's weird that everyone is leaving the Thursday 10 pm slot.
Old 05-08-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts
This just in: Fox cancels "Primary" and "American Crime".
Old 05-08-06, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"American Crime," featuring "Alias" veteran Victor Garber, is an ensemble about high-profile defense attorneys.
to SpyDaddy still being on TV...

to him no longer being SpyDaddy in any form - unless they make him one badass defense attorney, which I suppose is possible (particularly on Fox).
Old 05-08-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JacksModernLife
Don't the Law & Order shows perform better in the 9 p.m. timeslot, so I'd think that ER would be moved to the 10 p.m. timeslot on Tuesdays.
Old 05-08-06, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
This just in: Fox cancels "Primary" and "American Crime".
Never heard of them!

Chris
Old 05-08-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read about Reba a few days ago. its a shame as it is/was an enjoyable show.
Old 05-08-06, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Don't the Law & Order shows perform better in the 9 p.m. timeslot, so I'd think that ER would be moved to the 10 p.m. timeslot on Tuesdays.

Well here in Chicago (so central time), House is on at 8 pm and L&O:SVU is on at 9pm....so I'm guessing that since L&O is on NBC....they might keep it at that timeslot and move ER to the 8pm slot. Not sure exactly...but that's how I see them doing it, especially considering they loved the regular L&O to weds at 8 and lost a lot of it's normal audience.

And I think that I would probably choose ER over House....just because I care more about the many various characters on ER than I do about the 5-ish main ones on House. Don't get me wrong, I like Cameron, House, and Wilson, (and Foreman is ok...), but on ER....I pretty much enjoy and are emotionally invested in every one of the characters.
Old 05-08-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised they don't move ER to Friday night (haha).

to Futurama possibly coming back, The Unit being renewed, Grey's Anatomy at least moving up (it should be moved nights though), and canning King of Queens.

to keeping War at Home. And canning Arrested Development.
Old 05-08-06, 12:07 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
NBC's new drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which earned its formal greenlight last week, was said to be the contender for the Thursday 10 p.m. berth if "ER" moves.
Really excited about this, it's from Aaron Sorkin

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a new dramatic television program coming to NBC in the fall of 2006. The show takes place behind the scenes at a fictional sketch comedy variety show, similar to Saturday Night Live or MADtv.

Cast.
Bradley Whitford (Josh from the west Wing)
Matthew Perry
Amanda Peet
Sarah Paulson
Nate Corddry
DL Hughley
Steven Weber
Timothy Busfield
Judd Hirsch
Old 05-08-06, 12:14 PM

Is Judd Hirsch leaving "Numb3rs?"
Old 05-08-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Who the hell watches The War at Home?

I do.

I have a couple of friends who like the show too. So I for one hope that the show is picked up for another season.
Old 05-08-06, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I do.

I have a couple of friends who like the show too. So I for one hope that the show is picked up for another season.
I still watch this show. But after the first 4 or 5 episodes, the writing has become typical sitcom fare. At least in the beginning they were really pushing the envelope with their non pc humor.

Now unfortunately, it already seems a shell of it's former self. So hopefully the writing will be better next season or I will drop it.

Chris
Old 05-08-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I'm more curious to know what NBC is going to do with Crossing Jordan and L&O:CI the first half of the season with SNF occupying their current slots.

The new Sorkin show does sound promising. I hope they don't put in the Thursday 10 pm. Their expectations will be too high for it.
Old 05-08-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I read about Reba a few days ago. its a shame as it is/was an enjoyable show.
I never saw it but I was laughing at the idea of a Reba/Everybody Hates Chris comedy hour.

I guess it just didn't fit in with UPN's urban comedies.
Old 05-08-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Studio 60 sounds interesting.

W/out a Trace as an alternative to NBC's SNF? Make sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.