Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV: The Time has come

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm going HD. What should I get?

1. Plasma
2. LCD
3. DLP
4. DLP Projector and Screen

I'm leaning heavily towards the 4th option, heard good things about DLP projectors: http://www.dlp.com/
Old 05-07-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
#4 isn't an HDTV. It's an HD display. Is that what you want? Because that's not what your thread title asks.

You should do a search, there's plenty of threads on the topic. The bottom line is that all three have their pluses and minuses and you should pick whichever one fits you best.
Old 05-07-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dude, the other member is correct....do some research first. It's too big of purchase for others to tell you what to buy. Narrow it down to one sub-cat and then list three or four from a short list of possible specific candidates before asking members to research for you.
Old 05-08-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What is your room size? What is your budget?
Old 05-08-06, 12:57 PM

I have researched, but honeslty I can make an argument for any of those options - that's why I was hoping you'd help. My budget is unlimited - I was originally just going to get the most expensive thing I could find (Plasma), but after reading a bunch about burn-in and acknowledging that my current TV has some score meters from various gaming burned into it, I've started to look at DLP seriously. My room size is pretty decent, but I'm moving and I don't know where yet. I guess I'll rephrase my question and make it more specific: Why would I get a DLP TV over a DLP Projector + Screen? Seems to me like the former is just the latter in a fixed array?
Old 05-08-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Diabolita23
Why would I get a DLP TV over a DLP Projector + Screen? Seems to me like the former is just the latter in a fixed array?
I have no idea and can't answer the question. I built a theater for myself and have a dlp projector and love it.

Not every one has a totally light controlled room or can build a theater. the dlp sets offer portability and size considerations.

until you can further narrow your parameters it looks to me like you want someone to tell you what to buy. I never do that.
Old 05-08-06, 02:25 PM
Suspended

#4 hands down. The other 3 are just "big" tvs that look tiny compared to a front projection home theater. Having four times the screensize of a 55" "big screen" TV is awesome. The TVs do have one big advantage though. The ability to watch in high ambient light. No tv can beat or come close to creating the immersiveness of a home theater projector.

If I were you I'd get a projection system for serious viewing and maybe an average sized HD set for casual viewing when you want the lights on.

So, from the choices above I'd go with an HD DLP projector & screen hands down. However, personally, I'd choose CRT front projection over all of them, but they are for hobbiests who are contrast & black level nuts that want the best picture quality possible (and in some cases the lowest price as well).
Old 05-08-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Another vote for a PJ. It has changed the way we watch TV (in a good way).

But what I think others are trying to say is there is no "best" regardless of cost. There are pros and cons with every single set out there. In fact, if you want the ultimate in picture quality, some still argue that CRT RP is the way to go, and that is not even on your list.
Old 05-08-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A PJ will give you the biggest picture and the best bang for you buck. Of course, as Brian said, light control is an issue. If your budget isn't an issue, how about an inexpensive 42 inch Panasonic plasma for daytime viewing and a PJ for movies at night? Best of both worlds!
Old 05-09-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a room where you have total control of light and everything #4 should be your best option.
Also if you choose #4 when you move you should take that in consideration. Is there a room where you can set up your PJ?
Old 05-10-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My budget is unlimited
Get a top-of-the-line projector, screen, and sound system.
Old 05-10-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My budget is unlimited
Get a top-of-the-line projector, screen, and sound system.
And a room to put it in. I can't tell you how many poor setups I have seen with "unlimited budgets"
Old 05-10-06, 01:37 PM

I do have total control over light, but I think I'm going to go with the DLP flat screen instead of the projector/screen. I'm more of a stickler for sound than anything, and the projector/screen just makes more noise than the TV.
Old 05-11-06, 02:34 AM

I do have total control over light, but I think I'm going to go with the DLP flat screen instead of the projector/screen. I'm more of a stickler for sound than anything, and the projector/screen just makes more noise than the TV.
If you budget is unlimited I would definitly recommend checking out the Pioneer Elite plasmas. The color contrast and vibrant, crisp picture is quite impressive when compaired to DLPs.

Also a good thing to keep in mind that the quality of the set has just as much to do with the picture as the format used. A good start may be to go to a local home theater store that carries a nice selection of HD sets and get a feel for them yourself. Much of it will depend of your particular preference of a larger set or higher picture quality.
Old 05-11-06, 11:01 AM
LiK

i'm going for a 50" plasma this summer, can't wait! you should do the same
Old 05-12-06, 11:41 AM

I'm still stuck on the burn-in and fading problems with plasma. I know the newer sets are better, but still. I did go to the store, and to my eyes there's really not that much difference between the high end models whether plasma, LCD or DLP. This is the model I'm looking at: http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainmen...ail.asp?id=856
Old 05-13-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any DLP will fade far faster than plasma. Then you'll have to replace the lamp eventually. Plasmas have a 60000 hour lifespan, the DLP lamp has probably 3000-4000 before it dwindles to half brightness.

Personally, I'd jump to front projection if you are considering a big RPTV.
Old 05-16-06, 12:12 PM

Hm, but price-wise it seems like replacing the lamp on the DLP would end up equaling the difference between plasma and DLP, and since I can indefinitely replace the lamp it still seems like DLP has a longer lifespan. Money isn't really a problem for the initial purchase, but in 60,000 hours I will not have enough money to buy a new plasma.
Old 05-16-06, 01:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
20 years of running it 8 hours a day?

Just save 25-50¢ a day for its replacement.
Old 05-16-06, 07:28 PM

What kind of t.v. should someone get if they want a HDTV that you could watch movies,television shows,and play games on it?
Old 05-17-06, 05:39 PM

I run it more than 8 hours a day. It's more like 16 hours a day. It's my background to most things. You forgot about inflation.

Heh, moviemaniac - you and I are asking the same question. The only place where I can provide any info is that DLP TV's are the only ones not subject to burn-in at all, which makes them the best choice for gaming (IMO).
Old 05-17-06, 08:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
So 50¢ to $1.00 per day max. You forget that electronics prices fall faster than inflation. In 10 years you'll get a much better unit for a few thousand dollars. You wouldn't even want what you have now.