Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me find out the title of this film I saw on TCM

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd ask here. On TCM one night during their 30 minute showing of old "shorts" (short films) I saw the funniest thing I've seen in a while and I want to know if it's on DVD but I don't know what it's called. I think it was a western but it was with dogs and the dogs were talking and walking on 2 legs and it looked really funny. I know there are so many random shorts from the 30's and 40's that it may be hard to find but does anyone know what it's called? Or maybe know of a website that specifically deals with shorts from that time era? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you remember when you saw it, you can go to TCM's website and look through their program guide. They should have the name of it in the description.
Old 05-04-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it this?

3. Program Title: Festival of Shorts #9

Two shorts from horror film director Jacques Tourneur titled Killer Dogs and Jonker Diamond.22 mins.
Horror/Science-Fiction.

PLAYING ON TCM: 05/08/2006 05:30:00 AM

PLAYING ON TCM: 05/16/2006 05:30:00 AM

PLAYING ON TCM: 05/30/2006 06:00:00 AM
Old 05-04-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lucas McCain
I thought I'd ask here. On TCM one night during their 30 minute showing of old "shorts" (short films) I saw the funniest thing I've seen in a while and I want to know if it's on DVD but I don't know what it's called. I think it was a western but it was with dogs and the dogs were talking and walking on 2 legs and it looked really funny. I know there are so many random shorts from the 30's and 40's that it may be hard to find but does anyone know what it's called? Or maybe know of a website that specifically deals with shorts from that time era? Any help is greatly appreciated.
If you liked it that much.. howcome you did not put an initiative on your end to take a few seconds of your time checking the TV Guide / listing for that film?

Isnt it weird that despite you dont know what is the title and you just recall it during their "30 minute old shorts" you have the audacity to put other members in a test to know the title?

There is TCM site you could check....duhh??
Old 05-04-06, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Heh, welcome to the forum...

*SLAP!*
Old 05-04-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by xage Chloe O'Brian
If you liked it that much.. howcome you did not put an initiative on your end to take a few seconds of your time checking the TV Guide / listing for that film?

Isnt it weird that despite you dont know what is the title and you just recall it during their "30 minute old shorts" you have the audacity to put other members in a test to know the title?

Fixed.
Old 05-04-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xage

the offical DVD Talk Welcome Wagon
Old 05-04-06, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Fixed.

LMAO!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lucas McCain
Hi, and welcome. Don't feel bad about the response you get. I'm still healing from the hole they give me with the first question i asked when i first discovered this forum. You'll find that everyone here wants to be a moderator, so hang in there and check back now and again for bargains and sometimes good dvd talk. Don't feel bad, we've all been there and made it through.
Old 05-04-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
What you're looking for is one of the Dogville comedies produced by MGM in the early 30s. here's a link to them:

http://www.imdb.com/keyword/dogville/

AFAIK, none of them were Westerns, but the one you're looking for should be here.

Also, the Killer Dog short mentioned is not a Dogville comedy, but a short film about a German Shepherd that is tried for killing sheep. This is an outstanding short film and is worth checking out if you have TCM.
Old 05-04-06, 01:59 PM

Look smart aleck, actually I think it was shown as a time filler after some movie that was shown. Secondly, I saw it over a year ago therefore I don't remember exactly WHEN I saw it, Thirdly, I understand message board sarcasm and the appeal of faceless replies, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Also, thanks for the link to the Dogville comedies!
Old 05-04-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
TCM's site has some Dogville Comedies available for your viewing pleasure.

http://tcmdb.com/search.jsp?methodNa...Go.x=14&Go.y=8

Edit: Love Tails of Morocco appears to be the one you saw. It contains a western scene about 13 minutes in.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-04-06 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the info...I watched part of one online and that's what I saw! In further searching, I noticed they're not on DVD yet (except for a bootleg I saw) but hopefully maybe TCM or MGM will release them on DVD one day soon. Thanks to all that helped me figure out the name!
Old 05-04-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, i haven't been this tempted to call someone names here in a while - at least two days

Listen mr. know-it-all...TCM routinely shows shorts in between features that are not listed at all, but aired to fill in 15 or 20 minutes here and there. I've seen some that were great, and thought i'd remember the name long enough to write it down later but didn't.

go ahead, check the TCM site, and enjoy not finding any of them listed. until then, perhaps you should know what the fuck you're talking about before being such a smartass to people genuinely looking for assistance with something.
Old 05-04-06, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
Boy, i haven't been this tempted to call someone names here in a while - at least two days

Listen mr. know-it-all...TCM routinely shows shorts in between features that are not listed at all, but aired to fill in 15 or 20 minutes here and there. I've seen some that were great, and thought i'd remember the name long enough to write it down later but didn't.

go ahead, check the TCM site, and enjoy not finding any of them listed. until then, perhaps you should know what the fuck you're talking about before being such a smartass to people genuinely looking for assistance with something.
Who cares if it was atleast 2days you havent tempted to call someone? You put your time and effort to put some sort of a historical preference before stating your "buttin in" reason about my comment?

The original message I made was an answer to a "stupid" (IMHO) question/help in the DVD Discussion thread (No moved here in Movie Discussion Thread) where the original author of the topic, asked members to give him the DVD and the title of the short film which he saw about a year ago (Which for you as how you see it ->"people genuinely looking for assistance with something").

go ahead, check the TCM site, and enjoy not finding any of them listed
So you mean to say, you did check the TCM site and searched for it? Found Nothing then huh? Now, is that the reason why you are asking me to check it as well? Nahh...

I made my point back in the DVD Discussion thread. Well, this topic was now moved here in Movie Discussions for some reason. So its up to you if you still keep on heating up there.

By the way

mr. know-it-all...
I'm flattered thanks.
Old 05-04-06, 07:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Originally Posted by xage Chloe O'Brian

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Fixed.
that's great!! that is her to a tee!!
Old 05-04-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So you mean to say, you did check the TCM site and searched for it? Found Nothing then huh? Now, is that the reason why you are asking me to check it as well? Nahh...
no, I mean - once again - that the shorts they frequently air as time fillers in between films ARE NOT LISTED ANYWHERE.

his question was not "stupid" - but your ridiculously overblown response was.
Old 05-05-06, 02:17 AM

I hope "xage" gets eaten by a rabid flock of emus.

Y'know, just for the record.

-JP
Old 05-05-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, a bit of an overreaction, don't you think? The OP asked a valid question, no need to bit his head off.
Old 05-05-06, 01:55 PM

Everybody needs to chill. It's alright someone thought I asked a stupid question. I really don't care. I just thought I would find an answer to my question here (eventually), which I did. So to all get along, let's all look up TCM on the web, search for Dogville comedies, and watch a few of them and laugh at poor dogs being paraded around in people's clothes. (You really should, it's pretty hilarious).