Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Unit?

Do people just not care about this show anymore. There used to be weekly discussions, but the interest level seems to have dropped off. I looked at the ratings and it actually had more viewers than 24 but there isn't even a thread on this week's show while this week's 24 thread has 80 posts at the moment. I'm a fan of both shows, even though I have voiced my displeasure with some of the Unit's plotlines. I still like the show a lot. Maybe it just doesn't have the plot twists to get people talking like they do about a show like 24. In any event has anybody heard if the show will be picked up for next season? It seems pretty popular so I don't see why it wouldn't get picked up.
Old 05-03-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been recording it on the Tivo each week, but I'm probably 2 weeks behind in watching it. I enjoy it for the most part, but if it was never on again I probably wouldn't care.
Old 05-03-06, 01:38 PM

This is now just a modest hit as is reflected in the latest up to date viewers in millions:

18.50 18.06 15.50 16.08 15.44 14.12 15.62 13.87

Last weeks show had the lowest rating so far. And next week they are showing 2 news shows, so they may be trying to burn off the rest of the episodes.

Last nights show, well, let me put it this way. I was hoping that they would bring back the remaining stinger missle and fire it into wives meeting, blowing them up all to pieces and erasing any memories of them.

I realized what really pisses me off about those women. They are all smug, down to the most minor character. We get a new character in the general's wife and she is smug as all hell.

And everytime I hear Molly speak, I just want to smash my fist into her face and I am NOT a violent person (and of course wouldn't do that in real life to her). But you get the idea.

I think renewal for this show is going to be on the fence, because I'm sure the cost per episode is a lot higher than most 1 hour dramas. I don't know if they actually film in exotic locations or not, but it still looks pretty authentic to me.

I think a better title for the show would have been 'The Whiney Wives of the Unit".

Chris
Old 05-03-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
I guess I must be in the minority of people who really like this show. One advantage I have is that I always watch it off my DVR because of House being on at the same time. I just fast forward through pretty much all the wife scenes. I really hope it gets picked up for another season.
Old 05-03-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
This is now just a modest hit as is reflected in the latest up to date viewers in millions:

18.50 18.06 15.50 16.08 15.44 14.12 15.62 13.87

Last weeks show had the lowest rating so far. And next week they are showing 2 news shows, so they may be trying to burn off the rest of the episodes.

Last nights show, well, let me put it this way. I was hoping that they would bring back the remaining stinger missle and fire it into wives meeting, blowing them up all to pieces and erasing any memories of them.

I realized what really pisses me off about those women. They are all smug, down to the most minor character. We get a new character in the general's wife and she is smug as all hell.

And everytime I hear Molly speak, I just want to smash my fist into her face and I am NOT a violent person (and of course wouldn't do that in real life to her). But you get the idea.

I think renewal for this show is going to be on the fence, because I'm sure the cost per episode is a lot higher than most 1 hour dramas. I don't know if they actually film in exotic locations or not, but it still looks pretty authentic to me.

I think a better title for the show would have been 'The Whiney Wives of the Unit".

Chris
Well to be fair I don't they anybody expected this show to do CSI or American Idol numbers consistently. Unless I read the rankings wrong last week it had more viewers than 24 and we know that'll be on for at least another 4 years. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the wives though. I think it could be an even better show if some changes were made. I do hope that it stays on the air, but like dadaluholla said, I wouldn't lose any sleep if it was pulled.
Old 05-03-06, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Well to be fair I don't they anybody expected this show to do CSI or American Idol numbers consistently. Unless I read the rankings wrong last week it had more viewers than 24 and we know that'll be on for at least another 4 years. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the wives though. I think it could be an even better show if some changes were made. I do hope that it stays on the air, but like dadaluholla said, I wouldn't lose any sleep if it was pulled.
Ahhh, but you still have to remember that FOX is still does not have 100% market coverage (I read somewhere 95% coverage). CBS, ABC & NBC of course have 100% market coverage.

Chris
Old 05-03-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Ahhh, but you still have to remember that FOX is still does not have 100% market coverage (I read somewhere 95% coverage). CBS, ABC & NBC of course have 100% market coverage.

Chris
Are you saying that there are parts of the country that don't get FOX? I didn't know that.
Old 05-03-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I just fast forward through pretty much all the wife scenes. I really hope it gets picked up for another season.
I do the exact same thing. I don't know if they're trying to get husbands/wives to watch it together or what, but I just cannot stand the whining either and always fast forward. The show is incredibly well done and it's one of my favorites--and I hope it comes back.
Old 05-03-06, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Are you saying that there are parts of the country that don't get FOX? I didn't know that.
It used to be in the 70% & 80% range, but it looks like they've made some strides in recent years. Remember, Fox is still a pretty controversial station and I'm sure there are some parts of the country that are still not eager to add them.

Chris
Old 05-03-06, 03:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I gave up on this show 3 weeks ago. I kept on losing interest.
Old 05-03-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe thats my problem...I haven't been fast forwarding through the scenes with the wives. I will do that on these I have yet to watch and see if it doesn't improve my view of the show 1000%. How could it not?

It would be nice if they did have some evil arch enemy of the Unit show up and kill all of their families. Then the Unit goes out on their own...FOR REVENGE.
Old 05-03-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
I think I actually cringed last night during one of the wive's parts came on.
I really enjoy the Unit stuff.
Old 05-03-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Have not seen this week's ep yet. May just dump it to DVD to watch on our plane ride to our cruise...:-)
Old 05-03-06, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea what the current wives story line is. I caught something about a wife whining about her yard being messy before I clicked the fast forward. But they tricked me at the end when they showed one of the Unit guys with his girlfriend and all of a sudden she started whining about something. I was like 'WTF!' and scrambled for the remote.
The Stinger getting fired was pretty cool.

D
Old 05-03-06, 06:01 PM

IF it does come back next year, I bet that they will change the focus back to 95% the men and 5% the women.

We cannot be the only people bitching about those 'bitches'!

Chris
Old 05-03-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched it and thought it was ok. Them blasting away that helicopter was great.

However, they really should have ended the episode with the team sadly driving away after haybsert tells that kid that they can't bring him back.
Old 05-04-06, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still watch it, maybe more for Haysbert and Patrick than the actual storylines. And even though Audrey Marie Anderson's character is annoying, she's still hot and has a great voice.

However, they seem to move along in Jack Bauer speed the way they dash all over the world and intercut their covert missions with the wives storyline that was taking place the same day the unit left.
Old 05-04-06, 05:55 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
As a retired Navy guy who watches the show with my wife, I have to say there is interest in the "wife" aspect of the program (with the exception of the ridiculous affair subplot). My wife especially enjoys it, as she is a former military spouse left at home while I was deployed around the world.