Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DRACULA sequel in the works

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more vampire movies, the better.

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6044

May 2: Jan De Bont bites into DRACULA sequel

Jan De Bont’s Blue Tulip Productions has teamed with Atchity Entertainment on a new feature which represents the first officially sanctioned sequel to Bram Stoker’s DRACULA. Tentatively titled THE UN-DEAD, after the subtitle of Stoker’s original novel, the script was written by Ian Holt and is set 25 years after the book’s events. All the surviving protagonists—including Jonathan and Mina Harker and Professor Van Helsing—appear, along with Inspector Cotford, a character cut from the original manuscript, facing the bloodsucking Count once again. The Stoker family has officially recognized Holt’s screenplay—the first adaptation to receive such approval since the original 1931 Bela Lugosi-starring film.

De Bont and co. are currently seeking a director for the project. “We’re going after someone who knows how to do big-budget, adult Gothic horror with top A-list actors like SILENCE OF THE LAMBS,” says De Bont, whose own next directorial venture is the giant-shark epic MEG for Atchity and New Line. “We’re not making a B-movie teen slasher film here. This is the DRACULA [sequel] the true fans have been waiting for.”

Holt, who also wrote York Entertainment’s DR. CHOPPER, began the project by acquiring the rights to the best-selling book IN SEARCH OF DRACULA and traveled to Transylvania and spending a night at Bran Castle (pictured), where the “real Dracula,” Vlad Tepes, spent time. “Me and a friend huddled in the room where Dracula’s wife jumped out the window to her death,” he says. “The sky was pitch black—there were no stars—and it was quiet, except for low moaning sounds every time the wind whipped through the crumbling walls of the castle. Needless to say, we didn’t get much sleep!”

Holt also visited the dark prince’s palace in Romania, and wound up being knighted by The Transylvanian Society of Dracula into the Order of the Dragon. In addition, he was allowed by a Stoker family representative to read Stoker’s original handwritten manuscript (where he discovered Cotford’s existence), currently stored under glass at Philadelphia’s Rosenbach Museum. “I had to put on white gloves to not get any oil from my fingertips on the pages,” Holt says. “A guard watched over me the whole time. I got to see Stoker’s handwritten notes in the margins. It was such an honor to be holding the second most popular book of all time behind the Bible. It brought tears to my eyes and brought me full circle with the story.”

Look for more details on this project as we find ’em out. —Michael Gingold
Old 05-02-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So the official sequel to the novel will be a bad movie?

[QUOTE}De Bont and co. are currently seeking a director for the project. “We’re going after someone who knows how to do big-budget, adult Gothic horror[/QUOTE] Two names: Guillermo del Toro or Alex Proyas.
Old 05-02-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big-budget, adult Gothic horror????? Umm.... Len Weisman? I can't think of many films that meet that description made within the past 10 years.
Old 05-02-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jan DeBont has made pretty crappy movies except for Speed. So if he's producing this, it will also suck.
Old 05-03-06, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Big-budget, adult Gothic horror????? Umm.... Len Weisman? I can't think of many films that meet that description made within the past 10 years.
You're joking, right?
Old 05-03-06, 03:35 AM

It's a vampire movie. I am soooooo there.

Loved Gary Oldman's version of the transylvanian blood-sucker.

"Children of the night.... what sweet music they make."
Old 05-03-06, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure many fans were really waiting for a Dracula sequel, were there? There've already been tons anyway.

English horror columnist Kim Newman wrote a book where Dr. Jack Seward becomes a vampire killer, and kills vampire prostitutes - making him Jack the Ripper. The premise is interesting.

Then get started on Sherlock Holmes & The Revenge Of Dracula!

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Big-budget, adult Gothic horror????? Umm.... Len Weisman?
Oh fuck a pig, I hope to Christ NO.
Old 05-03-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was kinda interested until read the name Jan De Bont.
Old 05-03-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Indeed... when it comes to sequels, there's better choices than Speed 2 and Tomb Raider 2...
Old 05-03-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

how about just a remake of the original Dracula.... i mean that would be great.
Old 05-03-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bad choice for director and I wouldn't consider it being "official" unless Bram Stoker climbed out of his grave and wrote the book first, and then they made a movie out of it.

It's like if the Tolkien Estate gave the OK for "Hollywood" to make a sequel to "The Lord Of The Rings" that sure the hell wouldn't be "official" to fans of the books.
Old 05-03-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Restorer
It's a vampire movie. I am soooooo there.

Loved Gary Oldman's version of the transylvanian blood-sucker.

"Children of the night.... what sweet music they make."
My favorite line...

"Blotty wooolves chising me through som blue INFARENO"

Gotta love the Reevinator.
Old 05-03-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not that I would support Len Weisman but he was the only director I can even think of that meets that description. The Coppola Dracula wasn't even that great, I can't imagine a sequel would be any better. Smells like DTV.
Old 05-03-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts
If they called it Dr. Acula I'd be soooo there!
Old 05-03-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We can only hope Keanu Reeves will reprise his role as Jonathan Harker.
Old 05-04-06, 03:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
We can only hope Keanu Reeves will reprise his role as Jonathan Harker.
Random trivia: Charlie Sheen wanted that role and couldn't understand for the life of him how Keanu got picked.

Of course, Sheen also turned down White Men Can't Jump and willingly made Shadow Conspiracy.
Old 05-04-06, 03:45 AM

I hope they at least go for an R rating with this film. If this thing goes PG-13, I won't even rent it. I am so sick of all these PG-13 "horror" movies.
Old 07-05-06, 10:25 AM

I agree 200%, the more vampire films the better! Erotic, sexual, films with lots and lots of serious necking, lol!
Old 07-11-06, 05:36 AM

This appears to be a different project than the first post, but it still sounds cool:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15338

Dracula Year Zero Rises at Universal
Source: Variety July 11, 2006

Universal Pictures has acquired the spec script Dracula Year Zero by new screenwriters Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless and set it up with Michael De Luca to produce via his De Luca Productions, says Variety.

The story explores the origin of Dracula, weaving vampire mythology with the true history of Prince Vlad the Impaler, depicting Dracula as a flawed hero in a tragic love story set in a dark age of magic and war.

Alissa Phillips of De Luca Productions, who brought the project in, will serve as co-producer. Donna Langley, president of production, and Jeffrey Kirschenbaum will oversee the project.
Old 07-11-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts
Everyone should know by now that all the historical figures throughout history, both real and mythical, were actually G'ould. Especially the nasty ones. The good count Dracula(Vlad to his friends) was one of the worse. He couldn't be killed because of his symbiote kept him alive. His coffin was actually a G'ould rejuvenation chamber. The origin of the stake through the heart is that will kill the symbiote. The werewolf legend is also rooted in the G'ould. Dracula had his Jaffa personal guard genetically altered by the evil female G'ould scientist so they could transform into wolves. The rest was made up to strike fear into the humans to keep them in line while Drac and his Jaffa werewolfs terrorized the countryside. Van Helsing really existed, he was an Ancient devoted to destroying Dracula. Thinking he had destroyed Dracula with a stake through the heart/symbiote he changed his named to Bram Stoker and documented his exploits in novels(Jewel of the Seven Stars details his struggle with a particularly nasty Egyptian/G'ould princess) before ascending with the other Ancients.
Don't know if this would be any good but would be worth seeing just for a scantlly clad Samantha Carter in see-through nightie roaming around at night in a trance after a few neck bites.
Old 07-11-06, 01:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
exactly. my response went some thing like this:

oh, a sequel to dracula. interesting.

oh. jan de bont. not interested.
Old 07-11-06, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Everyone should know by now that all the historical figures throughout history, both real and mythical, were actually G'ould. Especially the nasty ones. The good count Dracula(Vlad to his friends) was one of the worse. He couldn't be killed because of his symbiote kept him alive. His coffin was actually a G'ould rejuvenation chamber. The origin of the stake through the heart is that will kill the symbiote. The werewolf legend is also rooted in the G'ould. Dracula had his Jaffa personal guard genetically altered by the evil female G'ould scientist so they could transform into wolves. The rest was made up to strike fear into the humans to keep them in line while Drac and his Jaffa werewolfs terrorized the countryside. Van Helsing really existed, he was an Ancient devoted to destroying Dracula. Thinking he had destroyed Dracula with a stake through the heart/symbiote he changed his named to Bram Stoker and documented his exploits in novels(Jewel of the Seven Stars details his struggle with a particularly nasty Egyptian/G'ould princess) before ascending with the other Ancients.
Don't know if this would be any good but would be worth seeing just for a scantlly clad Samantha Carter in see-through nightie roaming around at night in a trance after a few neck bites.
What is the meaning of this gibberish? Methinks somebody here has gone a little nutso.
Old 05-03-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well they found a director.

Blackfilm.com reports that Ernest Dickerson ("Never Die Alone," TV's "Heroes" & "The Wire") will be directing a "Dracula" sequel called "The Un-Dead". Jan De Bont will be produce through Blue Tulip Productions.

Amongst the cast members in negotiation are Javier Bardem to play Dracula, Monica Bellucci as Lucy, and John Hurt as Professor Van Helsing.

Set 25 years after the book's events, all the surviving protagonists including Jonathan and Mina Harker and Professor Van Helsing, appear, along with Inspector Cotford, a character cut from the original manuscript, facing the bloodsucking Count once again.

The Stoker family has officially recognized Ian Holt's screenplay, the first adaptation to receive such approval since the original 1931 Bela Lugosi-starring film.

Holt scouted locations in Whitby, England, and Transylvania, Romania, including a visit to the ruins of Dracula's castle.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070426f.php
Old 05-04-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
So how/why does Dracula come back? Is there any recogonized sequels or extended lore ragarding this?

I thought the ending to Dracula was pretty final. Not to mention it was supremely melancholy and moving.
Old 05-04-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
how about just a remake of the original Dracula.... i mean that would be great.
Yeah, sign Martin Landau and make it happen!