Veronica Mars -- "Happy Go Lucky" -- 05/02/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Veronica Mars -- "Happy Go Lucky" -- 05/02/06

"Happy Go Lucky"
Spoiler:
Veronica, Keith, and Logan take the witness stand to testify against Aaron Echolls; Veronica finds a suspicious e-mail on Woody's computer; Lucky brings a gun into Neptune High.

Cast: Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III, Teddy Dunn, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Tessa Thompson, Tina Majorino, Kyle Gallner, Harry Hamlin, Steve Guttenberg, Jeffery Sams , Michael Muhney, Krysten Ritter, Gil Birmingham, John Prosky, James Jordan , Brandon Hillock, Gay Storm , Michael Gaarde .
Director(s): Steve Gomer.
Producer(s): Joel Silver, Rob Thomas.
Writer(s): Diane Ruggiero.

Original Airdate: May 2, 2006.
Old 05-02-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
So Aaron Echolls was able to "O.J." himself out of jail. (Saw that one coming way back when Logan erased the tapes.)

And with the shooting and a death in the lunch area, wouldn't the school cancelled class for a few days and postponed the finals for a little while? I mean, when something like that happens, don't schools usually go overboard with counseling and touchy-feely stuff so that they don't get sued for big $$$ by someone claiming that they were "traumatized" by the event?
Old 05-03-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where was Wallace going in the summer? Seems like his goodbye/goodluck to Veronica spiel seemed forced.
Old 05-03-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Where was Wallace going in the summer? Seems like his goodbye/goodluck to Veronica spiel seemed forced.
I don't think he was leaving. I think he was planning on her leaving, since it has always been her goal to leave town the second that high school is over.

With her blowing off the final, though, she'll end up at the local college that she toured (which I assume is the same school where the woman from jury duty offered her a scholarship?).
Old 05-03-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to know what sort of trial features the defendant testifying first and the prosecutor's witnesses testifying last. I'd also love to see the murder trial where the witnesses were sitting in the courtroom listening to the testimony of their fellow witnesses. That was truly terrible. I'm talking as bad as Matt Murdoch giving a closing argument in a criminal trial in the role of a prosecutor even though he is an attorney in private practice bad. You don't even have to know anything about law to avoid these mistakes -- watching a couple of seasons of L&O would fix these problems. Oh, I'd also love to know where they got the idea that the judge would actually allow the question about Veronica's nasty STD. Where's the probative value there?

I do wonder if they included that to give us the idea that they somehow gave Veronica the STD artificially.

I cannot believe that they intend Harry Hamlin to be around for S3, so something big has to break next week.

One final thing about the charges. If I have it right, they charged Aaron with murder 2, assault, and statutory rape. Why didn't they charge him with abduction or attempted murder for what he did to Veronica? Those would have been open and shut charges compared to something like freaking statutory rape.
Old 05-03-06, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One final thing about the charges. If I have it right, they charged Aaron with murder 2, assault, and statutory rape. Why didn't they charge him with abduction or attempted murder for what he did to Veronica? Those would have been open and shut charges compared to something like freaking statutory rape.
i've been thinking the same thing, i guess it just wasn't in the cards...
Old 05-03-06, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The defense attorney said that the only witness to the Aaron/Veronica mess had said that they just merely went to his house to use his phone after having car trouble. It agreed with Aaron's story that Veronica had thrown herself at him. They said that she was attracted to the rich and famous, and used the tape as leverage to get Aaron to do her.

Is it possible that Lamb was once molested by Woody? After what we saw with Meg's family, the way he reacted was very odd, although it seemed more like violence rather than sexual abuse. From the way he acted last night talking to Keith, it didn't seem like he had a prior relationship with Woody though.

So it definitely seems like The Gute is a molester. I think that the Beav might be the missing link. With all of the storylines up in the air, I wonder what ones (aside who blew up the bus) are going to be concluded next week.
Old 05-03-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Yeah, the trial scene was pretty bad. There's no way the STD question would have been allowed, and the entire structure of the scene was horrid. Oh well.
Old 05-03-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt that Veronica has a STD, it was just another trial ploy.
Old 05-03-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another week of basketball instead of VM. I have to wait until Sunday again.
Old 05-03-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I doubt that Veronica has a STD, it was just another trial ploy.

???? Last week's episode had VM wax rhapsodic about contracting chlamydia.
Old 05-03-06, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The STD will prove very important...Lamb has it, Meg, Duncan, Veronica....can they tie the STD to Woody? (Assuming all of this of course)
Old 05-03-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked the no happy endings for anybody tone of the show last night, but there are things that bother me from a "real world" standpoint.

I can't believe that the Kane scholarship would be Veronica's only entre into Stanford. If she had straight A's, and was second in her class at Neptune which must be a very competitive high school, there would surely be other scholarships and financial aid available (I realize it's just a plot device to set up season 3, but still...). I also think she could have been excused from the final because of the trial and arranged for a make up the next day. I think most teachers would have understood. And I agree with dhmac, being witness to a shooting on campus would defintiely have been grounds for delaying or even excusing a final exam.

Nothing about Kendal or the Fitzgeralds last night. I wonder if the doctor who diagnosed Veronca's STD was under the thumb of the Fitgeralds. And we've heard nothing about what was on Kendal's hard drive...
Old 05-03-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
???? Last week's episode had VM wax rhapsodic about contracting chlamydia.
I know that, but I am referring to someone possibly switching or falsifying her test results.
Old 05-03-06, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The STD will prove very important...Lamb has it, Meg, Duncan, Veronica....can they tie the STD to Woody? (Assuming all of this of course)
I said in last week's thread, of course it may have been on another board, that it could have possibly been:
Woody -> Lucky -> Meg -> Duncan -> Veronica

I took the Lamb stuff from the episode where Veronica broke into the Manning's house to mean he was abused, not necessarily molested.
Old 05-03-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
My biggest issue with the trial was the tape. They had Logan and Veronica testify to its contents. But surely SOMEONE at the sheriff's department watched the tape. It was sitting in their evidence storage prior to Leo stealing it. I'm fairly certain that Leo watched it. Lamb and the DA had to have watched it as well. There had to be others that could testify to the contents of the tape.

It didn't ruin the show for me or anything, as I still enjoyed this episode, but it was a bit of a head scratcher.
Old 05-03-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was surprised that Celeste Kane was not at the murder trial for her own daughter. Jake is supposedly serving time for obstruction of justice or something is he not? (or did I just imagine that?)...... but it's strange that Celeste was not there.
Old 05-03-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great episode. I noticed some the courtroom stuff Jimmy James was talking about, but personally don't feel it took anything away from the scene. I watch VM for the dialogue, characters, and story, not for once-every-two-seasons courtroom accuracy.

I'm sure she'll figure out the Beaver connection next week for the win. Which leaves us with:

What happens to Weevil, since he was IDed by the kids?
What happens to the Fitzpatrick connection?
What happens to Kendall and her company with Beaver?

And a bunch more. It's going to be suspenseful week!
Old 05-03-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, there is a lot to wrap up next week.

I'm not sure if Weevil will get wrapped up, it may turn into a plotline for next season. And hell even if he does get nailed for Thumper's murder, that wouldn't exactly be unjust.
Old 05-03-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woody as the mastermind has to be a red-herring, I'm not convinced they would give this up this early. Molestor, sure, but not the big bad.

Here is my theory, spoilerized to avoid any potential complaining:

Spoiler:
I'm going with Beaver as the killer. Something about the girl's name on the car was a little odd, as was his friend Hart reappearing (the kid who got the Lynn-Echolls-jumping-off-the-bridge fan video last season). Assuming Veronica could see everyone in the team photos this week, I'm betting Beaver is the "Not Pictured" (next week's ep title), and that he's the killer.
Old 05-03-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
The defense attorney said that the only witness to the Aaron/Veronica mess had said that they just merely went to his house to use his phone after having car trouble. It agreed with Aaron's story that Veronica had thrown herself at him. They said that she was attracted to the rich and famous, and used the tape as leverage to get Aaron to do her.
Where's the admissible evidence to cut against Veronica's story there? Why isn't Keith a witness to it?
Old 05-03-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
Great episode. I noticed some the courtroom stuff Jimmy James was talking about, but personally don't feel it took anything away from the scene. I watch VM for the dialogue, characters, and story, not for once-every-two-seasons courtroom accuracy.
I watch for the same reasons, and I'm hardly saying that I hate this season or even this episode because they got it so wrong. I just want to be clear about that. I love this show.

I do think it was dumb not to get it right when it's so easy to get it right. I don't think anything was gained in terms of increasing the drama, either. A good trial that you don't have to sit through voir dire, jury instructions, or deliberations for is actually pretty much the best natural drama you could ask for.
Old 05-03-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I watch for the same reasons, and I'm hardly saying that I hate this season or even this episode because they got it so wrong. I just want to be clear about that. I love this show.

I do think it was dumb not to get it right when it's so easy to get it right. I don't think anything was gained in terms of increasing the drama, either. A good trial that you don't have to sit through voir dire, jury instructions, or deliberations for is actually pretty much the best natural drama you could ask for.
Oh, you've been in every thread, so I didn't mean to insinuate that you weren't a fan. I did notice you knew quite a bit about the courtroom stuff in the "One Angry Veronica" thread, so it's natural that you would notice a lot of the peculiarities about the courtroom stuff this episode.
Old 05-03-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Where's the admissible evidence to cut against Veronica's story there? Why isn't Keith a witness to it?
Aaron's story was that Keith saw them on the porch, became enraged and attacked him, thus explaining the physical evidence of fistacuffs.
Old 05-03-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
Aaron's story was that Keith saw them on the porch, became enraged and attacked him, thus explaining the physical evidence of fistacuffs.
Uh huh. Yeah, he's going to come off as completely credible with that bunch of baloney. I understand he's going to say it. What jury isn't going to look right through it and see the BS that it is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.