Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What big summer flicks are going make use of DLP screens?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost convinced my friend to drive down to Schaumburg, IL and finally see a movie at Loews down there. Only problem is it does not seem like MI3 makes use of DLP screening, at least it not an option yet on fandango, and he feels that would be awaste of time understably to drive so far for same experience as theater only 20mins away. So what movies coming should have DLP options? I think I'll save Superman Returns for Imax if I can find one around here since it seems to make use of special features exclusive to it.
Old 05-01-06, 01:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
according to DLP's website - yes, Paramount is releasing MI3 in DLP.

The problem with these announcement's is that DLP and their website only denote future films only about a week from it's release.

Secondly, the theatres/chains don't do a real good job denoting when a film is playing in DLP (I am pointing my finger directly at AMC - the Georgetown and Gaithersburg Maryland Rio theatres DLP units are severly underused).

All in all, I really don't see a future for DLP, unless they get support from all those involved - from the studios to the individual theatres and chains. The equipment is still too expensive. There are all these films in DLP, yet the format is going to go belly up, if theatres can't afford the technology.

Last edited by Giles; 05-01-06 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know Sony's Monster House will screen in DLP. As well as Disney's Cars and Pirates of the Caribbean 2.
Old 05-01-06, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I know Sony's Monster House will screen in DLP.
In 3-D!!! nonetheless.
Old 05-04-06, 12:25 PM

oh and since 'Superman Returns' was shot using HD cameras - you can expect Warner's to release this to DLP screens. However the IMAX presentation will supercede the DLP with it's 3D sequence. For us Washingtonians, the Smithsonian and Warner's are in talks to make sure we can see this at the Air & Space Museum.
Old 05-04-06, 12:28 PM

AMC is finally starting to book and utilize AMC Georgetown's DLP system with Mission Impossible 3 starting tomorrow - woohoo! Now if only AMC will upgrade the huge Uptown theatre screen to playback DLP films, I'd be a very happy camper.
Old 05-12-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Da Vinci Code and Over the Hedge will get DLP presentations.

Galaxy Theaters just opened a 16 screen multiplex in the ghetto -- I mean North Las Vegas -- with one cool thing about it. All 16 screens are capable of DLP. Currently M:I-III and Poseidon are on 8 of the 16 screens in digital. They have The Da Vinci Code and Over the Hedge listed for DLP next weekend on their website.
Old 05-12-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seen Mission Impossible 3 in a DLP screen.
Old 05-15-06, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Da Vinci Code and Over the Hedge will get DLP presentations.

Galaxy Theaters just opened a 16 screen multiplex in the ghetto -- I mean North Las Vegas -- with one cool thing about it. All 16 screens are capable of DLP. Currently M:I-III and Poseidon are on 8 of the 16 screens in digital. They have The Da Vinci Code and Over the Hedge listed for DLP next weekend on their website.
psst - your over by two, there are only 14 screens

all 14 - wow! at 250,000 a system that's - uh... 3.5 mill to upgrade... now how many of those systems can playback in 3D for the upcoming 'Monster House' ?

Last edited by Giles; 05-15-06 at 01:59 PM.