Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Longtime PS Fans Switch to 360? (I Did)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had the PS2 since it came out and the PS1 before that, but this weekend I picked up a 360. A couple things contributed to my purchase: (1) I grew impatient with PS3 delays; and (2) I doubt I'd be able to get one at launch anyway, and I didn't feel like waiting another year to play next-gen games (in HD!).

Even though I may ultimately pick up a PS3 a year or so down the road, when I made my purchase I couldn't help but feel like a bit of a traitor, like I'd crossed some line, like a Chevy guy buying a Ford, like an PC guy buying a Mac. Seems like most people are true believers one way or the other.

I know, no Blu-Ray & all that, but so far I'm completely blown away by my new system, and even though I have a few unfinished PS2 games (Godfather, Gun), I don't know how I can go back.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had jumped ship, due to PS3 delays, possible price problems, or any other reasons...
Old 05-01-06, 09:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hard to "switch" since the next Playstation isn't out yet. But I'm sure most Xbox360 owners have owned a Playstation console in the past.
Old 05-01-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Since I had the "triple threat" during the last round, I don't consider it a switch from one to the next. I buy the system that has the games I want to play. Last gen all three had something to offer.

I can say that, as of right now, when I do get next gen consoles it'll be a 360 and a Revolution. The price of the PS3 is going to push it way out of my market, and I'm not interested in the new digital formats enough to justify the cost.
Old 05-01-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's been discussed at length, but if 360 can continue putting out tremendous games up until PS3 is released, could it be far enough ahead to do serious damage to the PS3? I consider both GRAW and Oblivion "system sellers" and given another 6 months, there could be 5-10 more titles compelling enough to give even staunch PS fans reason to wonder if the PS3 is worth it. Combined with the rumors of $500+ PS3 w/Blueray pricing, I'm starting to get a little nervous for what that release will look like. I'll be on board as soon as I can, and Sony has shown sound sound strategy in the past, but I think it might be a lot more murky than I thought it would.
Old 05-01-06, 10:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Has the PS3 price been officially announced?
Old 05-01-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will never pay $500 for a console...or even $400 for that matter...but if I had to choose between the two consoles based on what I've seen thus far, I'd lean toward the PS3.

That said, Nintendo will probably the only one to get any of my money at launch this round because they are doing something genuinely different and they are pricing the Revolution where a console should be priced.
Old 05-01-06, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hard to "switch" since the next Playstation isn't out yet. But I'm sure most Xbox360 owners have owned a Playstation console in the past.
You really don't know what I mean? I've ONLY ever owned Sony gaming systems, and it felt odd "switching" to the XBox. That said, maybe "most" 360 owners were former PS2 owners and I just don't know--just saying it felt a little odd.

Oh, and as for PS3 price there have been lost of rumors, but the last I heard was here,which said this, putting supposedly in line with 360 instead of the double I had been hearing about:

Originally Posted by djones6746
Current PSM mag says to expect $399...system comes with 60GB hard drive....online gaming will be free. One million units expected at launch here in the states with another 1/2 million by the end of the year. I would say there is going to be a major shortage at launch alone. Besides the fact this will be one hot gaming machine....it will also be the cheapest Blue Ray dvd player on the market.
Old 05-01-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually the $59.99 price point for software is keeping me away from the 360 more than the hardware price. Something about that price point I just find completely unacceptable.
Old 05-01-06, 10:35 AM

Just play the games you enjoy playing. That's how I see it. The Xbox offered better games in the genre I enjoy playing (i.e. FPS, racing). Now, it seems the 360 will continue that.

As for Blu ray, sure we all want to make the leap into the next gen of movies, but if you're a HT buff like myself, you can pretty much bet on a stand alone player being able to produce a better picture than an all-inclusive player like the PS3.
Old 05-01-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made the switch from PS2 to XBOX, then just continued down that road....I have the 360 now and I love it. I may get a PS3 with credit I have built up.

NO PS3 PRICE YET....NO SOFTWARE PRICES YET.
Old 05-01-06, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Actually the $59.99 price point for software is keeping me away from the 360 more than the hardware price. Something about that price point I just find completely unacceptable.
This is a good point. I bought Call of Duty for that price w/the system and see it for around $30 now on half.com. I just ordered Ghost Recon for $42 off there as well, and plan to get most of my games that route if at all possible...
Old 05-01-06, 11:17 AM
tpc

I haven't decided. Ultimately price is going to sway me... assuming the software lineups hold about equal. If the PS3 launches at some ridiculous price point, I'll get an Xbox 360. If it comes in competitive (within 100 bucks of the 360) then I'll have some real thinking to do.
Old 05-01-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm already pretty happy with my Gamecube and my PC. I'll definitely be picking up a Revolution (or Wii rather...ugh) because I've always been a Nintendo fan, and it looks like a great system. Theoretically, I'd also like to get either a 360 or a PS3, but the price is definitely a factor. I just can't bring myself to pay $500+ for more games that simply look a little better. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't already have gaming systems. But as it stands now, the difference isn't great enough to make me bite.

Some friends next door have both a 360 and the original Xbox. I asked 'em what they thought of the 360 and they're basically like "we're not sure yet, we still play the original quite a bit more..."
Old 05-01-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tpc
I haven't decided. Ultimately price is going to sway me... assuming the software lineups hold about equal. If the PS3 launches at some ridiculous price point, I'll get an Xbox 360. If it comes in competitive (within 100 bucks of the 360) then I'll have some real thinking to do.
Unless Microsoft has a price drop to coincide the PS3 release, which has been mentioned often.
Old 05-01-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
I have 5 360 games and have not paid more than $50 each. Between sales, coupons and used you can easily get games for less than $59.99.

I have all of the last gen systems (GC, PS2, Xbox, DC) and is was the xbox games that appealed to me the most. That's why I chose to go with the 360. I have no interest in HD-DVD or Blue Ray right now. And that controller for the PS3 looks like a damn bat-a-rang. I am happy with my 360 and I don't plan on getting a PS3.
Old 05-01-06, 12:10 PM
tpc

I'll be surprised if they stick with the boomerang look, but controller comfort DOES matter to me... and I have to admit... the 360 controllers are pretty nice.
Old 05-01-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For me it is all about the games. The XBox/XBOX360 just does not have enough RPG's for me. Since the 360 is doing so bad in Japan I figure the Japanese RPG's will not be appearing on the system. This leaves me no choice for the next Gen. PS3 and Revolution.

Of course if this changes I would look at picking one up.
Old 05-01-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They got rid of the boomerang PS3 controller....fyi
Old 05-01-06, 12:38 PM
Banned

I won't switch for a couple reasons:

1) Still playing through an amazing library of PS2 games (KH2 baby!) that will keep my attention well into 2007.
2) No HDMI = no sale.
3) Not enough games that interest me on 360, and only a few of the Xbox games that interest me are playable on the 360.
4) Can't give up the first-party/exclusive titles that PS offers.
Old 05-01-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been pretty exclusive to the PS1 & 2 over the past 9-10 years or so with no Xbox or Nintendo purchases (except the N64 for Bond & Perfect Dark), but when the next gen 360 came out and the PS3 nowhere to be found in the near future, I picked it up. Between the games and the Xbox Live Arcade and achievements system, I'm enjoying the hell out of it, probably moreso than any other console I've owned. Almost to the point that I may not purchase a PS3 when it does come out, since there will be a bunch of 360 games that I will be busy playing. I think the delay of the PS3 is really gonna hurt Sony.
Old 05-01-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I suppose I'm a long time PS/Nintendo fan, as I've owned every console from both companies and never had an Xbox. That said, I was ready to pick up a 360 last November when I knew it'd be nearly a year until PS3 or Gamecube. If I'd been able to find one during the holiday season, it'd be sitting in my entertainment center right now. Instead, that money was put towards a new tv and now I'll be getting a Revolution at launch and waiting a bit to decide what to do about PS3 vs. 360.
Old 05-01-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Although one could say I'm more "loyal" to the XBOX/360 systems that doesn't mean I won't buy a PS3 or whatever Nintendo puts out if it catches my fancy. I see no reason why one can't own as many systems as one wants.
Old 05-01-06, 01:56 PM
Retired

I'd rank the systems in terms of number of games I enjoyed this gen:

PS2
Gamecube
X-box

Going into the next get the Wii will get my money first as Nintendo is doing something new with it and it will be priced more in my range (never paid more than $200 for a console, hope to keep it that way but might buy in at $250).

I'll probably pick up a PS3 sometime down the road for Final Fantasy and the other killer third party exclusives they get. The 360 I'll likely pass on. The X-box had some outstanding games like Halo, KOTOR, Crimson Skies etc., but there just weren't enough that I dug to get me to buy in again with the game library shaping up nearly identically this go round.
Old 05-01-06, 02:34 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive never wanted to get any Sony console simply because they seemed so aloof and snobby as a corporation. Kind of like Apple elitism. Ive always wanted to promote the underdogs unless I HAD to have something Sony offered in that dept. I have been willing to get a sony console lately but never felt compelled to yet. I was planning on getting a PS3 because I want blueray but now im thinking it might be cheaper to wait a bit and just get a drive for my HTPC. Ive been actually surprised at what Xbox is offering this gen and it looks like it might keep my gaming needs filled.

I got a gamecube last gen because my girlfriend wanted it. Im pretty sure ill be in that situation again where i'll need a Nintendo product to round out my collection and Nintendo has always had games that favor the 'cute' crowd.

That being said, I DO want a lot of competition in the console market. I dont trust MS will keep our best interest if they werent trying to come out on top.
Old 05-01-06, 02:39 PM
tpc

I too owned all three this gen, and I definitely most enjoy the Nintendo offerings, but there are certain gaming experiences I enjoy which require one of the other two. I've always been primarily loyal to Sony, but not so much so that I'm sold on the PS3 blindly. I can be swayed to a 360 with the right library, and a poorly launched PS3. Not that the 360 launch was any better, but that should be pretty well worked out when I'm ready to take the leap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.