Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What's going on with DDD's Criterion prices?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

After their most recent Criterion sale ended, they raised the prices across the board on their Criterion titles. All the 29.95 MSRP titles used to be ~$21.59 and are now ~$23.90. The $39.95 MSRP titles used to be ~$28.79 and are now ~$31.90. I was hoping that these were just some sort of system error that would be fixed but the prices have remained the same for about three weeks now. I'm just hoping they go back down to their normal level by the next sale or my order will be much smaller than normal.
Old 04-30-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed this as well - would be a drag if the prices were permanent, which they appear to be.
Old 04-30-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amazon has shit prices on Criterion too. Maybe the new pricing at DDD is designed to just barely undercut Amazon's price. If that's the case, then don't be surprised if DDD also raises the price on Disney titles. Just speculation.
Old 05-01-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed this weekend that DDD prices on Dvdpricesearch have gone up and in some cases DDD does not even show up in the list of stores listed. I was looking at the Tennessee Williams Film Collection and at DDD its 58.03 and several other stores its around 48.00 including Amazon. Maybe DDD is just raising prices like as usual before the 20% off coupon codes.
Old 05-01-06, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ernestrp
I noticed this weekend that DDD prices on Dvdpricesearch have gone up and in some cases DDD does not even show up in the list of stores listed. I was looking at the Tennessee Williams Film Collection and at DDD its 58.03 and several other stores its around 48.00 including Amazon. Maybe DDD is just raising prices like as usual before the 20% off coupon codes.
Or maybe Criterion has increased the price they charge DDD, and the increase is being passed along to the consumer. As I'm sure everyone knows, DVDs are made of petroleum-based plastics, and covered with some kind of metallic surface...anyway, the operative words here are petroleum based, and since petroleum is at an all time high price everything made of it is (or will soon become) more expensive than it had been previously. Even DVDs.

So don't be so quick to judge; I bet other DVDs will soon cost more than they do now, as production costs (petroleum costs, mostly) go up. "A rising tide lifts all boats", etc.

Considering all the content you get when you buy a Criterion DVD, they're still a real bargain.
Old 05-01-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed this too, and it's definately going to affect how much I spend at the sale this year. Last year, I spent about $600, mostly on Criterions. And this year probably would be no different. With the prices as they are now, they only beat dvdplanet by about a quarter, and that's after their 20% discount. It's rather odd, since they're both owned by the same parent company, and I believe they ship from the same warehouse.
Old 05-01-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
^^I don't see how that would be a possible reason. If Criterion were raising the price they charged their retailers they would do it across the board and we would see them go up at all retailers, not just DDD and Amazon. As was mentioned DVDPlanet is still at their regular prices and they are owned by the same people.
Old 05-01-06, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Or maybe Criterion titles are a popular purchase during the semiannual 20% off sale. DDD got an earful from customers last November for price hikes just prior to the sale. Maybe increasing Criterions three or four weeks before the sale is their way of doing the same but not making it look too obvious. (Amazon's recent increase on Crtierions only makes DDD's increases look more legit.) Just a theory.