Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a Mary Shelley's Frankenstein WS version?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one with Robert DeNiro? I've tried amazon and ebay but all listings seem to be for a FS only edition.
Old 04-30-06, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I have a WS / FS flipper disc. Here is the UPC code..

Old 04-30-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it is out of print. You will have to get lucky and find a new one somewhere that never sold out or buy one used (which shouldn't be extremely hard to do).
Old 04-30-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beware the UPC codes, as I believe this is one of those titles where they reissued a flipper WS/FS disc as just a one-sided FS without changing the UPC code.
Old 04-30-06, 05:10 PM

I would check out the Vampires/Mary Shelley's Frankenstein 2-pack if you want the flipper version with WS on one side. I don't know with 100% certainty that it's guaranteed to have the flipper copy, but this set was released before the FS-only version was populating stores everywhere, so it might be worth a shot if you can find one. I found my WS copy by purchasing that particular 2-pack, while the FS-only version is all I ever see by itself.
Old 04-30-06, 06:02 PM

I checked the UPCs, and it seems as though the UPCs for both versions are the same. Are there different covers for the two? I guess I'll just have to send questions to sellers if they aren't different.
Old 04-30-06, 08:03 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
Are there different covers for the two?
Yes...

Widescreen:

Full-Screen
Old 04-30-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CloudVader
I would check out the Vampires/Mary Shelley's Frankenstein 2-pack if you want the flipper version with WS on one side. I don't know with 100% certainty that it's guaranteed to have the flipper copy, but this set was released before the FS-only version was populating stores everywhere, so it might be worth a shot if you can find one. I found my WS copy by purchasing that particular 2-pack, while the FS-only version is all I ever see by itself.
No, that set was just released a few months ago and according to DVDTalk's review, contains the FS-only version. (Unless there was another 2-pack before)

Also, beware that there are some FS-only copies out there with the old cover. They didn't change the cover art right away when they dropped the WS side.
Old 04-30-06, 10:15 PM

I have seen the two pack at Best Buy and the back states that Frankenstein is FS only. They also have both cover versions,but the old version is FS as well. The only sure way to get a WS copy is to buy it used and check the disc to see if it is a flipper.
Old 04-30-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
No, that set was just released a few months ago and according to DVDTalk's review, contains the FS-only version. (Unless there was another 2-pack before)

Also, beware that there are some FS-only copies out there with the old cover. They didn't change the cover art right away when they dropped the WS side.
You linked to the new set (Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein) Vampires is the Carpenter film and that set came out years ago. I bought it. he set will run you around 15 bucks at DVDEmpire or Overstock.com.

Last edited by speedyray; 04-30-06 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyray
You linked to the new set (Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein) Vampires is the Carpenter film and that set came out years ago. I bought it. he set will run you around 15 bucks at DVDEmpire or Overstock.com.
Damn, how did I not notice that?
Old 04-30-06, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Widescreen:
My local Walmart has the DVD with this cover and it's full screen only, so cover isn't a way of telling....you just have to look at the back to be sure. Sony has gotten a bit sneaky with their pushing of full frame movies on people as of late.
Old 05-01-06, 04:09 AM

AFAIK the r2 edition is 1.85:1 anamorphic.
Old 05-01-06, 08:58 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I can at least guarantee you that if the cover looks like this:

it's Full-Screen.
Old 05-01-06, 09:24 AM

Oh yeah, I was just warning people to check the other cover to be sure...cause I was almost fooled by it.
Old 05-01-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I would also suggest checking Ebay and Amazon Marketplace. Some savvy sellers will make specific mention if they have the WS/FS or not. I would stay away from high volume sellers who are less likely to know the details of their stock.

I got my copy of Starman from Ebay after the seller confirmed it had the widescreen side.
Old 05-01-06, 10:22 AM

I have the widescreen edition of frankenstein.. I was able to find it at a local record/video store. they sell used dvds..
what state are you in?

Jacob
Old 05-01-06, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I would also suggest checking Ebay and Amazon Marketplace. Some savvy sellers will make specific mention if they have the WS/FS or not. I would stay away from high volume sellers who are less likely to know the details of their stock.

Amen to that - avoid the sellers who have tens of thousands of sales, they are always the front end of stores, lots of whom have no idea about what they are selling, often putting their listing against the wrong product (ie so long as the title matches they don't bother with worrying about which edition it might be). And I've found several times that they breach Amazon's Marketplace selling rules by not even having stock.

And individual seller is much more likely to actually have the item, and will usually respond promptly to enquiries about their listings.