DVD Talk
Rename the Wii (immature jokes can also go here but no console bashing) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Rename the Wii (immature jokes can also go here but no console bashing)

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 01:29 AM
So everyone seems to have mixed feelings about the name "Wii".

Think you can do better? Prove it.

Give us your best name.

I have a few I post later. :)

SiberianLlama
04-28-06, 01:54 AM
In a couple of minutes, this might even be stupid to me, but since I mocked the Wii, I thought I should at least come up with an alternative, however bad it may be.

So, in the spirit of... something, I give you the (drum roll please)

Nintendo Un

The Un is everything that the other consoles aren't. It is the anti 360, the anti Playstation. It is anti graphics at the expense of gameplay and caters to a whole new audience. It is a new and fundamentally different way to play games (new controller), it embodies the spirit of the former name (Revolution), plus it still maintains the one syllable weird name (Wii) without any of the urine or penis jokes.

Plus, when you abbreviate Nintendo Un, you get NU (new) which is everything that Nintendo is saying their console will be.

The Un is a different experience than any console previously.

Feel free to mock at your leisure... :)

yotd576
04-28-06, 01:55 AM
"Pii"

"The Last Hope"

"Revolution"

"The Driimcast"

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 02:08 AM
"Pii"

"The Last Hope"

"Revolution"

"The Driimcast"

Hmmm Pii?

What about Phi? The golden ratio.

The Nintendo Phi. Nah too much like a frat.

pizzamousechips
04-28-06, 02:10 AM
"The Nintendo"
"New Nintendo"

Simple enough.
Also, I love how just two letters (DS) can spark so much creativity in game titles, so I wouldn't mind a two letter abbreviation for a title. (Keep in mind, Nintendo never actually officialized that DS stood for Dual Screen, they just say Dual Screen a lot)

So maybe...

"Nintendo IS" (Innovative System... hey IS works for Lexus)
"Nintendo NS" (think of it... it's the Next Stage of gaming...)

Or something to that effect. Nintendo NS is my favorite now that I reflect...

Blitz6Speed
04-28-06, 02:16 AM
The Nintendo "WE HOPE IT DOES BETTER THEN THE GC"

Hows that?

cerialiously, Nintendo 21st, something new for the 21st century.

pizzamousechips
04-28-06, 02:22 AM
Sorry to double post but NS just works for me. It ties in with the possibility of hologram gaming. Nintendo NS (No-Screen)

Focus on the freedom? No Surroundings.
Reality? No Strings.
Community? New Society.
Multiplayer? Never Solo.
Creativity? Never Stale.
Sleekness? Neverending Style.
Wanna be simple? Nintendo System.
Bold? Nothing Similar.

Nintendo NS.

grim_tales
04-28-06, 04:21 AM
Wii? Wee? :D

:confused:

I'm sorry but what the feck is that? At least DS made some sort of sense as a name.
Revolution was kinda cool!

Frenzy
04-28-06, 04:33 AM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1313/buchstabepi1ic.png

yotd576
04-28-06, 05:21 AM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1313/buchstabepi1ic.png

Console formerly known as.....

or

"The Console"

darkside
04-28-06, 06:02 AM
Terrible name, but its still the Revolution to me and I won't give up on it because of a bad marketing decision.

They should just call it the Nintendo $199.99 since that will be a big reason to get one over the competition.

kakihara1
04-28-06, 06:40 AM
So the DS is the "Developer's System"

Why not "Nintendo P.S." the People's System

Or "Nintendo GS" the Gamers System

But really even though I may still think of it as the Revolution I think "wii" may grow on me.

The Bus
04-28-06, 07:04 AM
<center>http://www.fantasticdamage.com/blog/wiii.jpg</center>

Flay
04-28-06, 07:11 AM
Nintendo Boobii

grim_tales
04-28-06, 07:12 AM
:lol: :lol:

tbird2340
04-28-06, 07:31 AM
<center>http://www.fantasticdamage.com/blog/wiii.jpg</center>

rotfl

edstein
04-28-06, 08:19 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060428.jpg

joshd2012
04-28-06, 08:23 AM
I have stalled responding this this thread, because I wanted to come up with something that at least had some meaning to it. As much as I like the Nintendo Shitbox ( :up: ), I submit to you in large print:

NintendoIcon

Why Icon? Well, Nintendo's first console was the Famicom. And while Icom doesn't make any sense, Icon does, and is very similar. Also, look at the definition: "An important and enduring symbol. One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol." I think that is exactly what Nintendo is going for with this console. Something everyone will look to and want to play.

Eh, that's the best I can do without my Red Bull.

mmconhea
04-28-06, 08:46 AM
I like Icon- good one!

darkside
04-28-06, 09:03 AM
The strange thing is I can't really think of anything worse than wii.

edstein
04-28-06, 09:04 AM
iicon?

dx23
04-28-06, 09:18 AM
Wii Focked Op! by renaming the Revolution.

PixyJunket
04-28-06, 09:29 AM
So what's the ruling on the people posting repeated immature, derogatory images and infantile penis and urine jokes in conjunction to the name compared to the PS3 Grill thread which was locked in much haste? What if someone posted GayStation 3 or Xbox Three-Shitty comments in those threads? Personally, this only bothers me minimally (you have to learn to ignore a level of immaturity on any internet forum) but ever since Corvin pointed out the grill thread, I'm deadly curious why some of the stuff has been allowed here (mostly the dumb images being repeatedly posted by the same people) as these would have been warnings and troll posts in any other thread.

jeffdsmith
04-28-06, 09:42 AM
Pixy, stop trying to be intelligent. It only hurts more.

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 09:47 AM
I didn't lock the grill thread, I think Namja might have based on one complaint. Personally I would have left it open, but various mods have various levels of tolerance.

You see, we aren't the borg, we all don't share the same mind.

What's buggy you pix, the shitbox photo? Everything else is pretty harmless in this thread. I've been deleting craps in the official thread and want to leave this one open for jokes and/or serious replies so the official thread doesn't get overwhelmed with them.

If you can't get over the fact that some people will tease this thread, then I'm sorry but don't click on this thread ok?

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 09:50 AM
I don't see the shitbox image as derrogatory for Nintendo. The point they are making is the name doesn't mean shit, it doesn't matter, it's going to be a great console and you'll buy it no matter what. You are reading way too much into it.

Again, don't click on this thread if your maturity won't allow you to have a little fun.

chess
04-28-06, 09:54 AM
I'd buy a shitbox for $199.

Liver&Onions
04-28-06, 09:57 AM
See GP likes (and started) this thread, I find this thread useless and would prefer to lock it. I come to this forum for "generally" intelligent conversation, and to be overrun with Wii jokes that are far from intelligent (my 4 year old nephew makes pee jokes too), and even further from funny, isn't very stimulating.

And yes, locking threads making fun of the PS3 design, the fact the original Xbox could kill a small child due to its size, etc should IMO fit into the same category as dick jokes about a system name.

joshd2012
04-28-06, 10:00 AM
I like the idea of the thread, and as long as it is kept serious.

PixyJunket
The teasing doesn't bother me so much, I actually posted the first "Wee Wee" comment in the first thread as a matter of fact and the Shitbox image is pretty funny.. it's the fact that one is allowed and another isn't that gets under my skin. And I don't think the "If it bothers you, don't click" argument works.. if someone started a "Make fun of Xbox 360 thread.." Xbox guys are going to jump in regardless.. or how about the various derogatory threads/comments on the DS in its infancy..? Those were heavily policed as well. I get the feeling that because a mod agrees with what's being said, it's given leniency against what we'd normally allow.

Gallant Pig
I started this thread as a serious place to rename the wii due to all the criticism. :) But if we can also use it to confine the dick jokes, which will be inevitable, so be it. As long as no one is overtly console bashing I think it's fine. If someone does do that, please report it, seriously.

This thing will run its course eventually Nintendo guys. Just grin and bear it :)

Josh H
04-28-06, 10:01 AM
Revolution was the perfect name IMO.

Josh H
04-28-06, 10:03 AM
BTW, I don't like the comments still being allowed, as other said it didn't happen with the PS3 grill thread, the DS bashing etc.

But if it's going to be allowed, then :up: for confining it to one thread at least. I just think it sets a bad precedent going into the next gen console war. You remember how ugly it was 5 years ago, I imagine it will be even worse this time with it likely being a tight race between MS and Sony and with Nintendo doing their own thing. It won't be a fun place to mod, especially if you loosen the reins now.

Nausicaa
04-28-06, 10:05 AM
I don't really see people's problems with this new name. Yes, it's a little silly, but is it really any worse than the "XBOX 360"? Even Playstation, if it wasn't so common place, sounds sort of ridiculous when you think about it. Consoles have always had odd names.

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 10:07 AM
I get the feeling that because a mod agrees with what's being said, it's given leniency against what we'd normally allow.

:lol: Nice attempt to bash me. Keep trying.

chess
04-28-06, 10:07 AM
I started this thread as a serious place to rename the wii due to all the criticism. :) But if we can also use it to confine the dick jokes, which will be inevitable, so be it. As long as no one is overtly console bashing I think it's fine.

On the contrary, I don't think anybody is (or will be) console bashing. Any gamer with more than a brain cell or two has to be stoked about the console. The console is innovative and gorgeous.

For the most part, I think we're looking at N-fans who are just disappointed in Nintendo's decision to give this thing a silly name...and are expressing it the only way they can.

Incidentally, "Pii" popped into my head as an alternate name as well. Great minds, I suppose. :)

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 10:09 AM
I don't mind Pi myself. or Phi (da vinci code anyone?).

The Franchise
04-28-06, 10:11 AM
Seriously, everyone needs to lighten up (I realize the dichotomy there).

Ii laughed at the George Foreman PS3 pics and the Wii is like striking comedy gold in the mine that is console-naming. If you are going to get it then why even worry about what it's called?

<i> plz don't add fuel to the fire</i>

jeffdsmith
04-28-06, 10:17 AM
If it was called "Pii" people would say "Pee" and it would be fourth grade recess all over again.

Keeping in mind with Nintendo's goals of a name, how about "Core".

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 10:18 AM
Nintendo guys:

I think the best thing to do is let everyone get it out of their system and get over it already. The sooner we do that the sooner people will accept it and move on. As long as no one is overtly trashing it or console bashing.

Josh H
04-28-06, 10:19 AM
Seriously, everyone needs to lighten up (I realize the dichotomy there).

Ii laughed at the George Foreman PS3 pics and the Wii is like striking comedy gold in the mine that is console-naming. If you are going to get it then why even worry about what it's called?

<i> plz don't add fuel to the fire</i>

Hell I think the name is lame. And I couldn't care less what anyone else, especially people that post here, think about Nintendo in general.

I just don't want to see this forum degenerate into the festering fanboy shithole it was in 2001 again this fall when the next console war gets underway.

And inconsistent rulings (by different mods at different times I realize) aren't a good start. Hopefully this will wear off soon, and the mods will go back to cutting down on even borderline console bashing.

chess
04-28-06, 10:21 AM
How about something descriptive like Wave or Tilt or Wand or Free?

How about "Unleashed"? ;)

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 10:24 AM
OK I'm steering this thread back on course: either get a dick joke out of your system or post something serious. Either way, enough discussion on whether we can tease the wii. :) If you seriously wish to discuss the name and its ramifications do so in the official thread.

kgrogers1979
04-28-06, 10:52 AM
Nintendo should call their next console after the Wii the Wiii, then the next console after that the Wiiii. Eventually, we would have a Nintendo Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

ScandalUMD
04-28-06, 10:57 AM
They clearly should have called it the "Nintendo Mothafucking Chuck Norris Gangsta Keg-Stand Death Star of Kicking Ass That Totally Likes Chicks and is Indisputably Not Gay, With Built-In Water Pipe."

Or the NMFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP.

Imagine the commercial:

Fade in on guy sitting on a couch playing his NMFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP, lurching around madly with the controller. Then there's an explosion sound, and he sighs with anguish. Cut to the TV screen where a message scrolls up that says "You lose again, Bitch! Is sucking that hard a natural talent or do you have to practice?" Then it cuts back to the guy for his shamed reaction, and finally, it pans across the couch to a woman sitting next to the guy. holding her NMFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP controller against her crotch and shuddering with pleasure. Cue up "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard as the image fades out to the official slogan.

Nintendo MFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP. It will kick your ass and fuck your girlfriend.

Everyone would buy that.

Gallant Pig
04-28-06, 11:02 AM
<b>Mod Note: I am now actively enforcing this thread's topic. Anything off topic will be deleted. If you would like to discuss the issue further, either email me or post something in the feedback forum. Payroll I put your post in the 1/Only thread. Thanks</b>

Liver&Onions
04-28-06, 11:05 AM
It's all you GP - I prefer to stay out of this thread :)

dvdsteve2000
04-28-06, 12:03 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/st0rmbr1nger/nin1.jpg

jeffdsmith
04-28-06, 12:21 PM
Not good:
http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-11861-224148-2081/Saturn%20Aura1.jpg

Michael Corvin
04-28-06, 12:22 PM
but it all comes back to:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8182/nin27vi.jpg

JaxComet
04-28-06, 12:45 PM
I'll be buying one even if they call it "Turd". Sure, technically it's really only going to be a GameCube 1.5 but I'm sure they'll release some fun games........

03euroSVT
04-28-06, 12:46 PM
Also, I love how just two letters (DS) can spark so much creativity in game titles, so I wouldn't mind a two letter abbreviation for a title. (Keep in mind, Nintendo never actually officialized that DS stood for Dual Screen, they just say Dual Screen a lot)

So maybe...

"Nintendo IS" (Innovative System... hey IS works for Lexus)
"Nintendo NS" (think of it... it's the Next Stage of gaming...)

I believe that someone in on this forum mentioned using RS a while back. Ofcourse RS standing for Revolutionary System

My vote goes for:

NintendoRS

Centurion
04-28-06, 12:52 PM
What was wrong with calling it Revolution?
I think the official name is wiik.

UAIOE
04-28-06, 01:43 PM
I've had some time to think about this since its name was dropped yesterday.

I feel naming the system "Wii" in the English-speaking market is a terrible and short-sighted move on Nintendo's part. Japan might eat up this name but it doesn't really seem to make much sense or have much meaning here.

Do i find "PS3" or "XBox360" to be orginial? No, but i can understand the keeping of those names based on brand recognition.

I can also say that spending an interview mostly discussing the name as opposed to games or controls doesn't really excite me alot. I understand that E3 is almost here, but i'd rather be excited about something substantial and not have someone attempt to sell the name to me instead.

kakihara1
04-28-06, 01:56 PM
The only thing that makes me think that the names Xbox and Playstation are important to maintain recognition are the fact that the parent companies that made the systems weren't known for their videogaming first.

Nintendo Entertainment System = Nintendo or NES
Super Nintendo= Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64= N64

Microsoft Xbox = Xbox
Sony Playstation = Playstation

You don't call it a "Microsoft Xbox" or a "Sony Playstation" Therefore they don't want to abandon naming conventions. Nintendo IS Gaming they can name their systems whatever the hell they want and everyone will know it's distinctly Nintendo. I don't think MS and Sony have that luxury per se.

pizzamousechips
04-28-06, 01:57 PM
I believe that someone in on this forum mentioned using RS a while back. Ofcourse RS standing for Revolutionary System

My vote goes for:

NintendoRS

Not bad. I think S is the key cool-sounding letter. Putting it after most letters makes it sound cool. I even thought of the Nintendo S. Sounds cool but the system doesn't have curves so it doesn't work. I still like the NS. Personal preference I guess.

PixyJunket
04-28-06, 02:01 PM
Not bad. I think S is the key cool-sounding letter. Putting it after most letters makes it sound cool. I even thought of the Nintendo S. Sounds cool but the system doesn't have curves so it doesn't work. I still like the NS. Personal preference I guess.Nintendo BS? ;)

pizzamousechips
04-28-06, 02:09 PM
Nintendo BS? ;)

Lol.

Putting it after most letters makes it sound cool.

Least I put that.

UAIOE
04-28-06, 02:13 PM
Nintendo IS Gaming they can name their systems whatever the hell they want and everyone will know it's distinctly Nintendo. I don't think MS and Sony have that luxury per se.

Sony and MS will probably never have that luxury because they aren't know only for gaming and selling a name is the smartest move.

On the other hand I don't think Nintendo should just create any kind of oddball name and simply run with it, even if they can.

Michael Corvin
04-28-06, 02:19 PM
Not bad. I think S is the key cool-sounding letter. Putting it after most letters makes it sound cool.

boobies

Yep. You're right. Pluaral is better.

PixyJunket
04-28-06, 02:26 PM
This isn't EXACTLY on-topic.. but I didn't want to pollute the real Wii thread with it.

Do you think there'll be some interesting responses during Nintendo's keynote at E3 concerning the new name? Some of the fanboy reactions I've seen in past E3 videos (first Halo 2 movie, new Zelda, etc.) were kind of funny. I can just see people starting a "Revolution!" chant or something.

JaxComet
04-28-06, 02:29 PM
The way you can tell how effective a name is is by listening to people who don't play games or know nothing about them. In this regard the "Playstation" name has worked best. I always hear these people refer to gaming systems as "Playstations". It's almost become the generic name for a game console..........

jiggawhat
04-28-06, 02:47 PM
Nintendo ReMotion - combination of Remote and Emotion

Nintendo Penocha

Michael Corvin
04-28-06, 02:48 PM
^and before that every gaming system was Nintendo.

03euroSVT
04-28-06, 03:05 PM
Not bad. I think S is the key cool-sounding letter. Putting it after most letters makes it sound cool. I even thought of the Nintendo S. Sounds cool but the system doesn't have curves so it doesn't work. I still like the NS. Personal preference I guess.

Yeah I was just playing off your NS when I mentioned RS (which I am not taking credit for because I blieve it was already mentioned awhile back).

How about this:

Nintendo 365

Hey if the others can use numbers why can't Wii

PixyJunket
04-28-06, 03:14 PM
Nintendo Phantom: I Believe

gimmepilotwings
04-28-06, 04:13 PM
Nintendo Penocha

:lol:

kgrogers1979
04-28-06, 07:01 PM
How about Nintendo Mxyzptlk?

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/characters/mxyzptlk/i-mxy.gif

The Bus
04-28-06, 07:20 PM
http://www.fantasticdamage.com/blog/wiiii.gif

PixyJunket
04-28-06, 07:33 PM
^ Winner!

jediwicz
04-28-06, 07:49 PM
Don't you mean Wiinner?

Besides, I'm going to be so high on Wiid I'll have no idea what's going on.

UncleGramps
04-28-06, 08:44 PM
The "Wii" stands for "What the hell were Wii thinking when Wii named it Wii?"

tenaciousdave
04-29-06, 03:02 PM
*Update*

After sitting on this a few days, I still hate the name.

gcribbs
04-30-06, 03:55 AM
NCUBE361

Tagline: It's one better!!

Commercial:
Male1:The numbers all go to 361. Look, right across the board, 361, 361, 361 and...
Male2: Oh, I see. And most consoles go up to 360?
Male1: Exactly.
Male2: Does that mean it's better? Is it any better?
Male1: Well, it's one better, isn't it? It's not 360. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at 360. You're on 360 here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on 360 on your Console. Where can you go from there? Where?
Male2: I don't know.
Male1: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Male2: Put it up to 361.
Male1: 361. Exactly. One better.
Male2: Why don't you just make 360 better and make 360 be the top number and make that a little better?
Male1: [pause] These go to 361.

grim_tales
04-30-06, 06:50 AM
The only thing that makes me think that the names Xbox and Playstation are important to maintain recognition are the fact that the parent companies that made the systems weren't known for their videogaming first.

Nintendo Entertainment System = Nintendo or NES
Super Nintendo= Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64= N64

Microsoft Xbox = Xbox
Sony Playstation = Playstation

You don't call it a "Microsoft Xbox" or a "Sony Playstation" Therefore they don't want to abandon naming conventions. Nintendo IS Gaming they can name their systems whatever the hell they want and everyone will know it's distinctly Nintendo. I don't think MS and Sony have that luxury per se.

I've always called the Super Nintendo the Super NES, or the S.N.E.S, or the SNES (snez) ;)

sureAV421
04-30-06, 06:05 PM
Nintendo SHiFT
Nintendo one (1ne)

achau9598
04-30-06, 06:14 PM
what about Nintendo Evolution - the future of gaming is here (and coming)

gameover2k2
04-30-06, 07:49 PM
Although, I like the name revolution... it's kinda long and hard to pronounce or spell (from a non-native English speaker). 'Revo' would be an alternative to make it shorter..
I thought that they would defenitely shorten the name and they did..... but the name wii kinda sound strange regardless..... wee wiiiiiiii :)

Centurion
05-01-06, 09:32 AM
So if you bought two of them, hooked them up in a system link...

...would that be considered playing with your Wii Wii?

DRG
05-01-06, 10:26 AM
I could also see people (mainly clueless parents buying it for their kids) pronouncing it 'Why'. "Do you have any more Nintendo Whys?" "You mean Wees?" Probably won't hurt sales in any way, but it's also not the best thing as far as brand/name recognition.

Draven
05-01-06, 02:00 PM
Ugh, I don't really like the name, but I think the 360 is equally stupid (that's right folks! We turned in a complete circle and are right back where we started!) so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Interesting that, even though there is an article about the new name, Nintendo.com still has "Revolution" all over it.

UAIOE
05-01-06, 02:25 PM
I've had all this time to think about the name and i still find it to be hugely inappropriate.

CreatureX
05-01-06, 06:28 PM
http://www.infendo.com/uploaded_images/Wii-Wallpaper-7%28by-SER%29-727768.jpg

source: New Generation (http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2006/04/clever-wii-logos.html)

Jimmy 345
05-01-06, 06:45 PM
Ugh, I don't really like the name, but I think the 360 is equally stupid (that's right folks! We turned in a complete circle and are right back where we started!) so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Interesting that, even though there is an article about the new name, Nintendo.com still has "Revolution" all over it.

Not a big fan of the name 360. I guess they couldn't just call it the Xbox 2 because they were afraid of the Playstation 3 sounding superior. Still come on Wii. That name is so unbeliably stupid. A friend of mine who works in a game shop asked how can he sell something called Wii.

chess
05-02-06, 10:34 AM
After a few days to let it sink in, I still think it's terrible.

Any time you have to explain how to pronounce your product's name (and it's a gross misspelling of the word you want to emulate), you have a problem.

If they wanted to emulate the i-pod, they probably should have just named it i-something. I don't think they would have had any trademark problems since they are in a different market...plus i-river pulled it off and they are a direct competitor with Apple.

i-toy (perhaps not)
i-game
i-play
i-rev
i-change
i-control
i-wave
i-move
i-act
i-fi
i-share
i-lookmuchmoreinterestingthanthePS3orXbox360sobuymenomatterwhatI'mcalled

NC-36
05-09-06, 05:21 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2006/ft060509.gif

dizzlle01
05-09-06, 08:02 PM
Wiivolution

Jadow
05-18-06, 10:34 PM
MOD NOTE: This post was moved from the Official Wii Thread pt 2 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=463650). -namja