Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel The Daily Show audience is getting a little to married w/ children?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone else feel The Daily Show audience is getting a little to married w/ children?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent seen the show in a while, but I started watching an episode and like after every joke the audience would yell, and clap, and cheer. Loudly, even if the joke wasn't very good. It's like a white trash audience. When he goes to an anchor the audience claps for like a minute. I couldn't finish the show it was pissing me off too much.

Leno does it too, but I don't like his show.

This bug anyone else?
Old 04-27-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's something that bugs me too. I think part of it is whenever the show pitches a joke that involves something they don't like, the crowd cheers in support of their opinion.

That's a general trend in most of these type shows now. I think it satisfies those who do not want to dialogue about issues, so much as to shout their opinion without any care for who may respond.
Old 04-27-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
I havent seen the show in a while, but I started watching an episode and like after every joke the audience would yell, and clap, and cheer. Loudly, even if the joke wasn't very good. It's like a white trash audience. When he goes to an anchor the audience claps for like a minute. I couldn't finish the show it was pissing me off too much.

Leno does it too, but I don't like his show.

This bug anyone else?
I see the line for that show every day driving home, its a upper west side/Village audience
Old 04-27-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed it more with The Colbert Report. There always seems to be this one guy in the audience that really hoots and hollers a lot. I think it's the same guy.
Old 04-27-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably the audience warm up guy, seriously. I saw a taping of the Craig Ferguson show, and the audience warm up guy, seriously one of the most annoying "comedians" (I use that term loosely) I've ever encountered. Anyway, at every single joke that Craig told in the monologue, he burst out laughing, with the fakest laugh you've ever heard. People were constantly turning around and looking at him. It was obvious he was doing it to make it sound like the audience was responding more than they really were.

That's probably what it is with this show.
Old 04-27-06, 04:25 PM

Yeah, this really annoys me too. You'd think they'd realize that the longer they spend hooting at the jokes, the less time they have for actual content in the show.

It hasn't bothered me as much on the Colbert Report, possibly because it has been consistently far funnier than the Daily Show lately, and it doesn't get much more annoying than people laughing at stuff that isn't funny...

Also, Colbert always interprets their cheers as the opposite of what they are cheering for...
Old 04-27-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I dunno - I'm usually too busy laughing at the jokes to really notice.

(However, I do notice the few times a joke actually bombs with the studio audience - a situation that doesn't happen often, but Jon Stewart is a master at recovering from.)