Battlestar Galactica' Prequel on Tap at Sci Fi

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battlestar Galactica' Prequel on Tap at Sci Fi

'Galactica' Prequel on Tap at Sci Fi
'Chariots of the Gods' miniseries also in development

The Sci Fi Channel will delve into the backstory of "Battlestar Galactica" with a new series that looks at the years leading up to humanity's devastation by the Cylons.

The prequel, called "Caprica," heads a list of development projects the cable network unveiled Wednesday. Also in the works are a miniseries based on the book "Chariots of the Gods" and series from Jesse Alexander ("Alias"), Christopher McQuarrie ("The Usual Suspects"), Eric McCormack and Freddie Prinze Jr.

Additionally, legendary B-movie director Roger Corman will produce two films for Sci Fi's Saturday movie franchise: "Cyclops," about the mythical beast wreaking havoc on ancient Rome, and "Supergator," which pretty much explains itself.

"Caprica" will be set more than 50 years prior to the events of "Battlestar Galactica" and focus on the lives of two families -- the Adamas (ancestors of future Galactica commander William) and the Graystones. Humankind's Twelve Colonies are at peace and on the verge of a technological breakthrough: the first Cylon.

As "Battlestar Galactica" is about a lot more than space battles, "Caprica" will be as much family drama as sci-fi tale. Remi Aubuchon ("The Lyon's Den," "24") is writing the pilot script; "Galactica" veterans Ronald D. Moore and David Eick will executive produce it.

"Chariots of the Gods," Erich von Daniken's book purporting to offer evidence that aliens visited Earth several thousand years ago, is being turned into a six-hour miniseries by writer John Whelpley ("Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Andromeda"). The miniseries will center on a soldier whose souvenir from his tour of duty may hold evidence of alien interference with human life since ancient times.

Last edited by ten41; 04-26-06 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should be good.

das
Old 04-26-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, if the BSG executive producters are going to do this, then it might be good.
Old 04-26-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They can count me in. This sounds great. Thanks for posting. I am excited for more of the story.
Old 04-26-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh brother.
Old 04-26-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll tune in, but I'm very wary...I'd hate to see BSG become a brand like Star Trek that gets run into the ground with multiple (shitty) spin-offs... but like I said, I'll give it a shot.

MATT
Old 04-26-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Well, if the BSG executive producters are going to do this, then it might be good.
ditto, I like what the two have done with the new series. It'll be interesting to see what the Admiral's life was like leading up to the first war.

As for the rest of that news blurb... blah.
Old 04-26-06, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I like how they talk about the fact that the show will feature ancestors of Commander Adama and will be set 50 years ago.

Ancestors? What are we talking about here -- Adama's father? Maybe his grandfather? Edward James Olmos is pushing 60, so assuming William Adama is roughly the same age, you might even see a young William Adama.
Old 04-26-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
and I think 50 years would be awfully short for all the advances the cylons made
200 would be better, especially since it took a while for the cylons to revolt and go to war
Old 04-26-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why dont they do the prequel but make it like the old show with retro sets and stuff.
Old 04-26-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Speaking of Sci-Fi Channel miniseries, whatever happened to the 4-hour "Forever War" series they announced years ago?
Old 04-26-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
and I think 50 years would be awfully short for all the advances the cylons made
200 would be better, especially since it took a while for the cylons to revolt and go to war
It's only been 40 years since the end of the first war. Although I'm not up to date on exactly when in the timeline they created the Cylons and for how long they were used. I guess --according to this announcement-- they were created 50 years ago. It does seem kinda too short of time for them to go from created to as advanced as they are now.
Old 04-26-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I'll give the BSG prequel a chance, I ignored the new series for most of it's first season, now I'm an addict.
Old 04-26-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think everyone's getting hung up on the 50 years thing. It says "more than 50 years." The Cylon War took place 50 years before the current series, so it would naturally take place "more than" 50 years prior. The war lasted 10 years before an armistice was declared and the Cylons left the colonies.

From http://members.cox.net/battlestar/reimagined.htm
Old 04-28-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Supergator !!!!!

I read the book.
Old 04-28-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
Supergator !!!!!

I read the book.
Which wasn't nearly as moving as the stage play.

D
Old 04-28-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrich
Which wasn't nearly as moving as the stage play.
Bringing in a star of a high enough quality to play Supergator, cost the producer an arm and a leg.
Old 04-28-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
Bringing in a star of a high enough quality to play Supergator, cost the producer an arm and a leg.
I'm just glad they found someone who could really sink their teeth into the role.

D
Old 04-28-06, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tazwolff
It's only been 40 years since the end of the first war. Although I'm not up to date on exactly when in the timeline they created the Cylons and for how long they were used. I guess --according to this announcement-- they were created 50 years ago. It does seem kinda too short of time for them to go from created to as advanced as they are now.
I don't agree that 50 years is too short a time. Think about 50 years ago for example. The year would be 1956. Computers which these days you can carry in your hand fill large rooms, there are only a few dozen in the entire world, none as powerful as the simplest PC.

TV is Black and White and even that has less resolution than we're used to.

VCRs, and Cassette players don't exist, let alone DVDs and CDs.

Flying is only barely making an impact on personal travel plans, with airlines experimenting with introducing stewardesses (they were all female at the time) in order to demonstrate how safe flying was.

Fortunately we've avoided a major war over the period. But if you want a 50 year period with wars. Consider the late 19th century through to the mid 20th century.

The then superpower British Empire is warring with France during the latter part of the 19th century, and as the century closes is at war with South Africa. A major British ally is Germany, the German Kaiser is grandson to Queen Victoria. Russia and Japan also go to war during the early part of the 20th century.

By 1914 Britain, France and South Africa are allies and at war with Germany. Russia and Japan are also allies in the conflict against Germany. Italy is fighting with the British. Less than 21 years after the end of WW1 we get WW2. Now Japan and Italy are on Germany's side. Britain and France are still allies.

Fifty years may not sound like much but I think its ample time for the type of events suggested.
Old 04-28-06, 07:13 PM

This sounds like a good idea, but watch out if NBC starts showing BSG:

NBC ANNOUNCES NEW "GALACTICA" SPINOFFS

LOS ANGELES - NBC announced its new season of shows today, with a majority of them coming on the heels of their smash hit "Battlestar Galactica", which NBC appropriated from its cable property The SciFi Channel last year. Surprisingly enough, most of the new shows are all "Battlestar Galactica" spinoffs.

"Well, if 'Law & Order' and 'CSI' can have all of these shows going on simultaneously, why can't 'Galactica'?", a network spokesperson stated.

The listed "Galactica" sitcom spinoffs are:

"The Wackiest Ship In The Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet" - a 30 minute show about the Smithtons, a family learning to live with less in a decrepit vessel that can barely make lightspeed, crewed by "a cast of zany actors" (from the press release). First episode: Mrs. Smithton tries to get out of paying the rent by accusing the landlord of being a Cylon in disguise.

"Friends In Space" - NBC had to mortgage every scrap of property it had to bring back the original actors from "Friends" to star in this one, where the only change is that it's in... space.

"My Name Is Gaius" - Dr. Gaius Baltar learns the meaning of karma and tries to undo all the wrongs he's committed by referencing a list of 10x2.141687 to the tenth power misdeeds. The first episode is called "Stole A Nuclear Bomb".

The drama series listed are:

"Law & Order: Colonial One" - a group of lawyers and cops, part of the Colonial Fleet's Government Law Enforcement group, tries to make the system work for everyone.

"Star E.R." - Doctors. Space. Must it be explained?

"Rising Star" - one of the ships has turned into a home for gambling, glamorous showgirls, and the sins of all. Starring "the poor man's James Caan", James Caan.
Old 04-28-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Good thing it's not CBS though, or we'd have "Survivor: New Caprica."

Does Starbuck have the hidden immunity idol? Find out this week!
Old 04-28-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would watch every one of those shows such is my love for BSG.
Old 04-29-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
I would watch every one of those shows such is my love for BSG.

Old 04-29-06, 12:38 AM

I'm much more excited about season 3 of BSG than I am about this prequel series. Sure, if it's done right, it could be great, and I'd grow to love it... but at this point, I'm more concerned that it would draw away writers and creative energy in general from the main BSG show, and the entire franchise would suffer and fall apart as a result. Plus I think it's too soon for a spin-off. We've only had 2 seasons! Though I suppose the first season of this probably wouldn't air until season 4 of BSG started airing.
Old 04-29-06, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrauss
Good thing it's not CBS though, or we'd have "Survivor: New Caprica."

Does Starbuck have the hidden immunity idol? Find out this week!
And the individual reward for this week -- you get to have intercourse with your choice of any of the twelve models. And keep in mind that the Boomer models do anal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.