Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kinky Boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kinky Boots

Anyone seen this?

A friend wants to go see this tomorrow. I’ve heard nothing about this and wondered if anyone here has any thoughts on it.
Old 04-25-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I've seen a few TV spots and some clips. I'm actually interested in seeing it but have no idea if/when it'll be showing anywhere near where I live and I haven't seen any reviews either.
Old 04-25-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
This was playing in the U.K. when I was there last Fall and I read some good things about it while I was there, but didn't get a chance to see it. About two months ago, I saw it was out on DVD (region 2) so I bought it as blind buy from amazon.co.uk. I didn't care for it too much. Thought it was corny and that the lead (who played the drag queen), was miscast. Don't pay more than a matinee to see it. I'd give it *1/2 out of ****.
Old 04-26-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
This was playing in the U.K. when I was there last Fall and I read some good things about it while I was there, but didn't get a chance to see it. About two months ago, I saw it was out on DVD (region 2) so I bought it as blind buy from amazon.co.uk. I didn't care for it too much. Thought it was corny and that the lead (who played the drag queen), was miscast. Don't pay more than a matinee to see it. I'd give it *1/2 out of ****.
Miscast? Pffft. Chiwetel Ejiofor is one of the better up-and-coming actors out there at the moment.

I haven't seen the flick yet, but I've heard nothing but positive things from friends who have. I am trying to catch the advance screening here in Vegas on Thursday.
Old 04-26-06, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Miscast? Pffft. Chiwetel Ejiofor is one of the better up-and-coming actors out there at the moment.

I haven't seen the flick yet, but I've heard nothing but positive things from friends who have. I am trying to catch the advance screening here in Vegas on Thursday.

Re: Chiwetel as an actor in general. Did I say he was a bad one? No. I said he was miscast. And he was IMO. And I'm not the only one who thinks that:

http://boxofficemojo.com/reviews/?id=2049&p=.htm

Check out the reviews for this film on rottentomatoes. It's split right down the middle. And no one seems to love it.

Back to Chiwetal, he won me over after seeing "Dirty Pretty Things". Which is the ONLY reason I wanted to see "Kinky Boots". The story didn't interest me really. I like this actor.
Old 04-26-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Chiwetel Ejiofor is a big reason why I want to see this film. Why do you feel he was misscast?
Old 04-26-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Chiwetel Ejiofor is a big reason why I want to see this film. Why do you feel he was misscast?
It just didn't work. He's way too masculine for the role. As the one reviewer pointed out too in the link I attached. Sometimes great actors just don't fit in certain parts.
Old 04-26-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It just didn't work. He's way too masculine for the role. As the one reviewer pointed out too in the link I attached. Sometimes great actors just don't fit in certain parts.
However, it's a tough role to fill. Most male actors would never be able to pull off a role of a drag queen. Then again, there are actors who can, but who wants to see a movie headlined by Alexis Arquette?
Old 04-26-06, 05:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

have you seen The Full Monty or Waking Ned Devine or Calendar Girls? well then you've seen this.
Old 04-26-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
However, it's a tough role to fill. Most male actors would never be able to pull off a role of a drag queen. Then again, there are actors who can, but who wants to see a movie headlined by Alexis Arquette?

Philip Seymore Hoffman pulled it off incredibly in that one movie with Robert DeNiro. Sure, he's not super macho. But that worked. Chiwetel didn't.
Old 04-27-06, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I LOOOOVE British comedies like this.
Old 04-27-06, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Philip Seymore Hoffman pulled it off incredibly in that one movie with Robert DeNiro. Sure, he's not super macho. But that worked. Chiwetel didn't.

Hoffman was fantastic in Flawless.
Old 04-27-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brian Orndorf
Yeah, that's the thing: it isn't really a comedy. The plot sure looks like a screaming good time, but the film gets dramatic much more than I was expecting. I found it to be a pretty standard, and pretty bad, movie.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is the only reason to see it. He may not look like a woman, but he's the only cast member with personality.

Awe, that's too bad.
Old 04-27-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in it because it has Owen Lars(Joel Edgerton). I'll probablly catch it on dvd or on demand.