DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Munich Dvd Review

Old 04-25-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Dvd Review

Here is the first reivew of Munich (enjoy)...

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...re=date_posted

Here is a quick blurb from the review...

Munich is a raw, gritty, powerful film from one of the best director’s to ever step behind the camera lens. Spielberg, no matter what subjects he tackles, is always able to deliver films of excellent quality through his imagery mind. The DVD of Munich boasts fine picture and audio, but only one feature on the single disc edition (probably due to the film’s near three hour length.) Grab the two-disc edition and be prepared to be taken into the world of the latest Spielberg masterpiece.
Old 04-25-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
*Edited for some re-wording.*

I'm not much of a director's commentary junkie, but given some of the negative press that Spielberg had to put up with when promoting Munich, I would have loved it had he broken his "no commentary" rule and provided one for the movie.

Last edited by Vipper II; 04-26-06 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-25-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I'm not much of a director's commentary junkie, but given the crap from several different groups that Spielberg had to put up with, I would have loved it had he broken his "no commentary" rule and provided one for this movie.
I would love to read more about the crap he had to put up in order to complete Munich. Can you elaborate and provide specific evidence?

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-25-06, 01:53 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not the crap he endured to complete MUNICH, it's the crap he had to endure upon its release.
Old 04-25-06, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
It's not the crap he endured to complete MUNICH, it's the crap he had to endure upon its release.
That's what I meant - thank you.
Old 04-25-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Vipper II
That's what I meant - thank you.
Great! I still would like to read more about it (specifically the groups you mentioned). Could you elaborate?

Pro-B
Old 04-25-06, 11:20 PM

Can't wait to check this film out. Anyone find any reviews of the 2-disc set yet?
Old 04-26-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Since Spielberg tried as much as he could to stay objective while still making a point about escalation, he neither vilified nor sainted either side of the conflict. This, in turn, drew scorn from both sides.
Old 04-26-06, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Great! I still would like to read more about it (specifically the groups you mentioned). Could you elaborate?

Pro-B
This stuff came up a while ago, so tracking down information without having to pay different web sites' fees for dipping into archived news proved to be a tad bit difficult. I did track down this article, though, which gives a pretty good idea of some of the heat Spielberg took with his approach to the events portrayed in the film:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...3518_1,00.html
Old 04-26-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I appreciate you providing the link however I remain sceptic that he had to deal with "crap" (I am not picking on the word used but what it implied within the context of the above statement). Spielberg knew very well that there is going to be harsh criticism (from both sides), particularly because of his success in Hollywood and because of those who have used it for other causes. To sum it all up, and I did some browsing myself to find a credible "crap-statement", all of the criticism directed at him had nothing to do with special groups (..."several different groups" as you noted).

Perhaps I read your statement differently!! Regardless, I see what you were trying to say!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-26-06 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 828 Posts
Individuals, lobbies, organizations, diplomats, governments, websites, etc... Criticism of Spielberg and his film came from everywhere. So I'm sure that at least some of those qualify as "groups".
Old 04-26-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...and as I noted already I was interested in reading a specific "crap"-statement from a well or less known group. It was the actual statement that I was interested in reading not debating the merits of the film (that is why I pointed out above that the director must have been aware that criticism will ensue...after all every film review is more or less seen as criticism, "crap" implies something different...to me).

Pro-B
Old 04-26-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 828 Posts
Well the thing is, with you get a film such as this one (or Passion of the Christ) which deals with a hot topic, the crap gets mixed in in a lot of reviews, so said reviews can no longer be viewed as simply criticism of the film. Such as:

http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_co...x_article=1042

And you get statements like these made by various individuals and/or groups:

Israel 's consul-general in Los Angeles , Ehud Danoch, said after an advance screening earlier this month that he found the film pretentious and superficial - a view subsequently endorsed by the Israeli Foreign Ministry. On the other side, Abu Daoud - one of the few suspected masterminds of Munich to have survived Israeli retaliation - told the Reuters news agency from Damascus that the film served "the Zionist side alone" and did not properly explain the Palestinians' motives.
Old 05-07-06, 08:49 PM

Here's a review of the 2-disc version of the DVD.

http://homevideo.about.com/od/dvdrev...chdvdpicka.htm