Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or is today's R&B awful?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-24-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can count the good R&B songs I've heard on the radio in the past few years on one hand. But almost every modern R&B song I hear makes me want to chuck pencils into my ears, Electriclarryland style.

The singers I usually don't mind although they almost all sound the same, but the production is usually bargain basement at best. This is especially on the "slow jamz" where it seems they've been rehashing Babyface's limited sonic vocabulary endlessly for the past decade and a half; I kid you not, a drum machine with, what, seven? maybe eight? samples can recreate 70% of the R&B songs of the past decade.

"Party R&B" is not much better. For every "Yeah!" or "Ignition (Remix)" I have to sit through a Chris Brown song, whixh brings me to my next point: party R&B is usually done better by rappers, and that's sort of offensive isn't it (to R&B artists)? It's like country-western artists doing heavy metal crossovers doing a better job of it than regular metal bands.

There are some bright spots. The success of Alicia Keys makes me think that talent and originality can be rewarded but then Jagged fucking Edge makes another album.

I thought D'Angelo's Voodoo was one of the best albums of 2000, but where has the man been since? Cameos on Raphael Saadiq live albums don't count.

For every John Legend, there's six Jamie Foxxes, three Destiny's Child, and a handful of Ne-Yos; and John Legend is good, but not the aposthoesis of modern music.

I know the source of my problems: Relying on radio, people's loud cars, and MTV to dictate what there is to listen to. I don't have the same resources to explore R&B as I do with other genres, so I don't know "where to go" so to speak.

People like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke will be unequaled so I am not trying to draw out their modern-day counterparts. That would be as foolish as asking where I can find "the next Sinatra" (if you say anything that even remotely sounds like "Michael Bublé" I will strangle you).

Where is today's equivalent of Bill Withers? Shuggie Otis? Etta James? Dinah Washington? Why is there a revival of every 60s rock genre but we don't have anyone trying to act like the Marvelettes?

So I ask you, R&B enthusiast... is today's R&B truly awful or can you lead me to redemption by giving me some good recommendations?
Old 04-24-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm no authority, but I'll try and help anyway.

I really love Musiq Soulchild's stuff. His albums are very complete, and while mainly about love, the song's subject matter are usually pretty interesting and unique. And it doesn't sound like R. Kelly which is my biggest R&B pet peeve. It has nothing to do with Kelly's sexual issues, but more the fact that I cannot stand R&B singers who want to be rappers. So yeah, Musiq Soulchild is some good stuff. All three of his albums are really good, but I would rank them: first, third, and then second.

Also the Jazzyfatnastees are wonderful. They make real "grown up" r&B. And another great lady duo is Floetry. The "rapper" in the group is more of a spoken word artist, so don't let that turn you off.

Alicia Keys is really good and if you like her definately check out India Arie. I actually like India better and think she has a better sound, but she just isn't your typical "beautiful" and so she doesn't get the attention she deserves.

Dwele also has a really smooth sound.

And a little out of your normal r&b is the fantastic album by Res. If you've ever heard of Esthero, she sounds like that. It's borderline r&b and trip-hp, but totally worth your time if you want to try a new sound. Hell you may as well check out Ethero's first album too. Again these aren't really r&b, but still couldn't hurt to check out the sound samples on amazon.com eh?

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-24-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll have to check on Res; the JFN I have heard of but never heard. All the other ones I knew and I do like.
Old 04-24-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TheBus, I agree with you. I pretty much stopped listening to new hip-hop/R&B in the mid-90's. However, I do have four words for you:

Lewis Taylor
Van Hunt

Neither are 'pure' R&B, both are a bit rock-tinged. Van Hunt's two albums pick up where Voodoo left off, and LT's self-titled debut is one of my two favourite albums of all-time, a psychedelic soul masterpiece.
Old 04-24-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
It has evolved and changed a bit but every year or two a new artist comes out and brings a boost to the genre.

Angie Stone
Jill Scott
John Legend
Some songs by Lenny Kravitz
Old 04-24-06, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear ya, TheBus, and heartily agree.
Old 04-25-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd highly recommend:

Anthony Hamilton (all his albums are great)
The Transitions (I think they only have one, I wish there were more)
Dave Hollister's first album (each one that followed was worse than the previous.)

Some others from the top of my head:
Ruff Endz
Carl Thomas
112 (earlier stuff)
Joe
Avant
TQ
Old 04-25-06, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Four Tops, The Temptations, Aretha, Stevie, etc....now THAT'S some good R & B. Not even the best of the new stuff will ever compare.
Old 04-25-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,846 Posts
...and don't forget Marvin Gaye.

Yeah, modern R&B sucks donkey balls. It's all a bunch of bling-blingy, hip-hop lifestyle, fashion conscious crap.
Old 04-25-06, 09:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I avoid the new stuff like the plague...
Old 04-25-06, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out Jamie Lidell - Multiply (2005 song & album). He's got soul and his music sounds pretty old school; real instruments and stuff. The single's really good; album got a bit repetitive.