Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think they will fix the Tales from the Crypt packaging discrepancy eventually?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you think they will fix the Tales from the Crypt packaging discrepancy eventually?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 04:05 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you may know, the release of the third season of Tales from the Crypt is using a totally different type of case than the first two. Worst of all, the new case is taller than the others, which would result in a very asinine-looking shelf display. Instead of a collection to be proud of.

Me being a nitpicker, I'm not willingly going to buy any of those seasons with the pre-knowledge that they will look ridiculous due to this packaging discrepancy.

So my question is: Will they fix this?

By "fix this", I mean: will they start packaging season 1 and season 2 into the same type of package as season 3 has?

Or eventually will they release a box set of all 7 seasons which all have the same type of packaging on them?

What would the time frame on these things be?
Old 04-22-06, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Navaros
Me being a nitpicker, I'm not willingly going to buy any of those seasons with the pre-knowledge that they will look ridiculous due to this packaging discrepancy.
Then why bother asking others in this forum about the fix? As if we care on your "NOT Willing" to buy it Cry there...

For crying out loud.. you even went to the extent asking about time frames to members here?

Why not do it yourself? Write the DVD studio on who did/design it, get the manufacturer of the packaging and demand what you wanted to satisfy your taste. And see how the studio/manufacturer react on your sentiments...
Old 04-22-06, 10:47 AM

Did they switch to slim cases? If so they shouldn't be much taller than seasons 1 and 2.

A lot of seasons have switched packaging form one season and another and I don't think they will re-release the previous ones in the new packaging. I could be wrong though.

The only one that bothers me is Six Feet Under season 1.
Old 04-22-06, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Careful there, jake. Don't piss off the big guy!
Old 04-22-06, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jake_spade
Then why bother asking others in this forum about the fix? As if we care on your "NOT Willing" to buy it Cry there...

For crying out loud.. you even went to the extent asking about time frames to members here?

Why not do it yourself? Write the DVD studio on who did/design it, get the manufacturer of the packaging and demand what you wanted to satisfy your taste. And see how the studio/manufacturer react on your sentiments...
Well because I'm a newbie to this field, not an expert like many of you here seem to be. Experienced experts can give me much better insight than I could discover on my own.

I'm guessing that if I tried contacting the studio they'd just give me a canned automated response and not answer my question.

If you don't care about the question then there is no need to get all up in arms; you need not read or post in this thread, no one's making you do so.

I wasn't crying, I was just voicing my dissatisfaction at this packaging discrepancy, being optimistic that it may possibly be fixed that I might buy it, and asking for feedback from those who might know something.
Old 04-22-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Considering that the package is only 1/4 of an inch taller than the first 2 seasons, I'd hardly call it a ridiculous discrepancy. When lined up on the shelf, the third season looks just like the others, they didn't change the artwork or the look of the packaging. It's just a tiny bit taller and has different contents. Perosnally, I prefer slim cases, but I too am annoyed when packaging changes mid-season, such as with the Simpsons. But this is not extreme, and for such a tiny difference, I don't believe the studio will have many unsatisfied customers, certainly not enough to go back and redo the first seasons. Generally I take any series that changes mid-stride and use custom covers for them once the series is complete. There are many talented artists online who create covers for just this type of reason, and for continuity.

But you never know...on the first season they included the the original opening of the camera going through the house and down to the crypt as a menu feature, rather than as actually attached to each episode. So many people cried and moaned that the episodes were actually "incomplete" because the opening wasn't included at the beginning of each episode that by the third season they had included it, just so that the rest of us could skip it to get to the episode rather than watch it 15 times. So if people are vocal enough about a dissatifaction, anything is possible.

Last edited by Living Dead; 04-22-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 04:30 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Considering that the package is only 1/4 of an inch taller than the first 2 seasons, I'd hardly call it a ridiculous discrepancy. When lined up on the shelf, the third season looks just like the others, they didn't change the artwork or the look of the packaging. It's just a tiny bit taller and has different contents.
Pictures speak louder than words. Here is one that a guy who bought them made:

Could it possibly look any more dumb?

That looks highly ridiculous to me.

Where exactly is the correct place to "cry and moan" about the packaging discrepancy?
Old 04-22-06, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While it does irritate me that people are switching from digipacks to slimpaks in the middle of tv series' runs, once we get all seven seasons out, I don't think it'll look all that bad.

Personally I don't care if they release slimpaks or digipaks, so long as they're consistent throughout the whole production and series.

The Simpsons fiasco comes to mind...
Old 04-22-06, 05:27 PM
Cool New Member

The height difference did bother me as well, but they also removed the bumpy lettering/Crypt Keeper which sucks too. I wouldn't go as far as saying it looks ridiculous, but it does look stupid.

[Edit]
You know, I just looked at in person and it does kind of look ridiculous. The difference is so minor, yet it's so obvious.

Last edited by CheapChildren; 04-22-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 05:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Ohh....NO!

How abouyt how Six Feet Under Season 1 is WAY bigger then every other one?

How about the BBC version of the Office Season 1 and Season 2 using totally different packaging ideas, and one, yes, IS a bit taller! OMG!!!
Old 04-22-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
This is a funny thread.
Old 04-22-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about how Futurama Season 4 looks nothing like the packaging for seasons 1-3/
Old 04-22-06, 07:15 PM

They won't be redoing the packaging on seasons 1 & 2, the first two Harry Potters are different packaging than the last two and they've still not changed the first two to match the last two (even in the boxsets)

They've redone the packaging halfway through a lot of the series' I collect:

Alias (seasons 1 and 2 are different than seasons 3 and 4)
Full House (seasons 1 & 2 are digipaks and season 3 is those thin keepcases)
Mary Tyler Moore (season 1 was digi, the rest have been keepcases BUT THANK GOD THEY WERE RELEASED AT ALL)
THE MUNSTERS (most notable among the different cases because the season 2 case has an outer slipcase that cracks when you try to remove the Herman head from it)

....but I'm not complaining too badly, I'm just happy to have the shows at all.

Last edited by IGotsNewShoes; 04-22-06 at 07:19 PM.