Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Malena Unrated???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 11:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malena Unrated???

Does anyone know where I can find the Malena unrated version . I have the US version and it cuts out a good 10 mins from the unrated one. I like Monica Bellucci alot.

Where I can find this at a resonable price. Thanks
Old 04-21-06, 11:41 PM
Banned

The Malena:Unrated released in Korea is Region 0

If you wish to buy one, its available at www.dvdheaven.com
Old 04-22-06, 12:28 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks Jake. The site says region3. I'm not sure this could play in my player. What is the cost of Korea money compare to american dollars??
Old 04-22-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

last I knew 1800 Won was approximately $1
Old 04-22-06, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD maniac
Thanks Jake. The site says region3. I'm not sure this could play in my player. What is the cost of Korea money compare to american dollars??

Even the box itself stated it was region3 but it was proven that it runs in Region 0
Old 04-22-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

American money??

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/search/se...l?_srch=malena

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1161

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

.....and so on....

Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
It is indeed Region 0.
Old 04-22-06, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
last I knew 1800 Won was approximately $1
Last you knew must have been awhile ago. The won is on the rise and dollar is on the decline. Right now about 960 won is around $1. While that's not too great for the value of the dollar, it is great for those of us Americans who are working in South Korea and are sending money home.

The prices on the site are in U.S. dollars anyway, so there's no need to worry about the conversion.

While I can't tell you for sure on Malena, I would be careful if you are considering the Korean disc because movies released in Korea that have extensive nudity, sexual content, or violence are often censored. Koreandvds.com puts this disclaimer up on several titles, including Malena:

"Titles produced in Korea are subject to government censorship when it involves nudity and violence. Although the censorship has been lessened over the years, frontal nudity and extreme violence (although rare) are forbidden. Please be careful especially when purchasing erotic movies. When you are worried about censored and deleted scenes of graphic violence and frontal nudity, do not buy from our site."

At the bottom of the koreandvds.com page for Malena it says that it is fully uncut and uncensored, so it might be (although that doesn't mean that it necessarily is). Of all of the dvds I've purchased here in South Korea only the first season of Six Feet Under and the special edition of Once Upon a Time in America have had any censoring. It seems that sometimes they censor and sometimes they don't without any real pattern.

Last edited by bjh_18; 04-22-06 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-22-06, 08:31 AM
Banned

I have a copy of the Korean release. It is indeed the unrated version and region free.

Here's the wierd part. If you turn on the Korean subtitles it also turns on the censoring which places blurry circles over some of the nudity in the film. The English subtitles however are unaffected.

Great movie and one I would say really loses a lot with the nudity taken out. Not just because it's Bellucci but because the sexual undertones are basically a large part of the movie.
Old 04-22-06, 12:30 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info cardaway. I guess I should go ahead and get this dvd since its uncensored.
Old 04-23-06, 01:31 PM
Banned

Share us your viewing expereince once you obtain and watched your Malena Unrated
Old 04-23-06, 02:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jake_spade
Share us your viewing expereince once you obtain and watched your Malena Unrated
Order it last night. Will post all the details once I see it
Old 04-23-06, 06:45 PM
JIF

Here is the thread of the original post for the region-free Korean uncut version of MALENA. Everything you'll need to know about the quality of the disc.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ghlight=malena