Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle of the 60's Masterpieces: Pet Sounds vs. Sgt. Pepper

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Which is better 'Pet Sounds' or 'Sgt. Pepper'?
Pet Sounds
33.93%
Sgt. Pepper
66.07%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to think Sgt. Pepper was the hands-down winner, but the more I listen to it, the more I think Pet Sounds is a superior work.
Old 04-20-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
...and yet I've always thought Pet Sounds was over-rated, so let the battle begin!
Old 04-20-06, 10:40 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I think both are over-rated, but I still like Sgt. Pepper a lot better. The Beach Boys have never done it for me, with the exception of a handful of songs.

Now, if we want to compare Sgt. Pepper to Ogden's Nut Gone Flake or The Who Sell Out, then I'd have to think about it.
Old 04-20-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pet Sounds for me, but I'd take Revolver over Pet Sounds (maybe).
Old 04-20-06, 10:51 AM

No Odessey and Oracle? That would be my choice but I'll go with Pet Sounds.
Old 04-20-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sgt. Pepper's is a slightly better album as a whole. Pet Sounds has three songs (Wiouldn't it be nice, God Only Knows, and Sloop John B) that destroy any song on Sgt. Pepper's.
Old 04-20-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pet sounds is a good album but way too overrated IMO. I'm a huge Beatles fan and wouldn't pick Sgt. Peppers as thier best work. I would however pick Sgt. Peppers over Pet Sounds.
Old 04-20-06, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Is Pet Sounds that album where they have dogs barking Christmas carols? Thatis great!
Old 04-20-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went with Sgt. Pepper. Both are awesome albums, but it came down to a battle of songs, and I picked "Day in the Life" over "God Only Knows"
Old 04-20-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beatles are my favorite band of all time, but I'm more partial to the albums that came out just before Pepper. Easy choice for me and that's Pet Sounds.

As a kid = Sgt. Pepper
As an adult = Pet Sounds

Blender just a did a little feature on the 50 worst moments in music. Honestly, I was expecting to see Sgt. Pepper in their list and yep, it's #50. I do love the album, but it was also the start of some overindulgent crap by followers.
Old 04-20-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
I went with Sgt. Pepper. Both are awesome albums, but it came down to a battle of songs, and I picked "Day in the Life" over "God Only Knows"
I think the 45 release of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" with "God Only Knows" as the b-side is the greatest 45 of all time.
Old 04-20-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Had Good Vibrations been included in Pet Sounds I think the results would look a wee bit different.
Old 04-20-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's taken me years and repeated listens, but i now fully realize how amazing sgt. pepper is. pet sounds has never done it for me.
Old 04-20-06, 04:51 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't even fathom that this is a real poll--SGT. PEPPER'S by a few country miles...
Old 04-20-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Pet Sounds

Of course my tastes are a little different I guess, because I would pick Rubber Soul and Magical Mystery Tour over Sgt. Pepper, The White Album and even Revolver.
Old 04-20-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bugg
Pet Sounds

Of course my tastes are a little different I guess, because I would pick Rubber Soul and Magical Mystery Tour over Sgt. Pepper, The White Album and even Revolver.
I'd pick probably five or six Beatles albums over Sgt. Pepper.
Old 04-20-06, 06:25 PM

For emotional impact Pet Sounds wins easily. One of the few albums that I know have made people cry.

Also the fact the Pet Sounds was essentially one person's vision while Sgt. Pepper was more of a group effort gives it some extra points in my book.

Last edited by BlueJayWay; 04-20-06 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-20-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I give "Pet Sounds" the slight edge, though none of the songs are quite the equal of "A Day in the Life".

Now if it were (the original) "Smile", "Sgt. Pepper" would stomp all over it.
Old 04-20-06, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I can't even fathom that this is a real poll--SGT. PEPPER'S by a few country miles...
It seems like a pretty legit question to me. I love both, but I'd have to go with Pet Sounds. But I'd still put London Calling and Achtung Baby over both personally.
Old 04-20-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'd pick probably five or six Beatles albums over Sgt. Pepper.
Old 04-20-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Blender just a did a little feature on the 50 worst moments in music. Honestly, I was expecting to see Sgt. Pepper in their list and yep, it's #50.
For that very reason alone, I picked Sgt. Pepper's.
Old 04-20-06, 08:05 PM
Banned

Beatles by several miles
Old 04-21-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

BlueJayWay, actually Sgt. Peppers was basically a vision of Paul. The others were not really that into the whole Idea. I think they all wanted to try and do a complete studio only recording. (in the sense that the sounds were something not so easily duplicated for live playing) but as far as the dressing up and the idea, not so much.

Sgt Peppers is the better album, but Pet Sounds was the best by the Beach Boys. Its not a TOTAL blow out, but still, Sgt. Peppers total album beats Pet Sounds.
But Pet Sounds is really good.

Now if you said, Rubber Soul Vs. Pet Sounds, then its nowhere near close, not within a thousand miles, Rubber Soul wins. It was the inspiration for B.Wilson to even start recording Pet Sounds. I also would say that its the best Beatles album as well.
Old 04-21-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Its tough, because Pet Sounds was never finished...had Brian Wilson been able to finish the 2(?) songs that are now and forever instrumentals, who knows.

BUT, since Pet Sounds is availabe in 5.1, and the Beatles refuse to give us actual copies of thier ablums that take advantage of todays technology, Im not voting in the poll.
Old 04-21-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueJayWay
For emotional impact Pet Sounds wins easily. One of the few albums that I know have made people cry.

Also the fact the Pet Sounds was essentially one person's vision while Sgt. Pepper was more of a group effort gives it some extra points in my book.

Pet Sounds for me.

Released in 1966 to tepid sales (and hence causing no small amount of grumbling among the notoriously fractious band members), Brian Wilson's Rubber Soul-inspired album of "spiritual love" eventually became one of pop music's most celebrated artistic accomplishments. Paul McCartney would later claim that Pet Sounds in turn inspired the Beatles' magnum opus, Sgt. Pepper. This four-disc box set offers an unprecedented deconstruction of Wilson's masterpiece, taking fans, armchair scholars, and musicians on a compelling creative journey. Leading off with what once was heresy--a complete true-stereo mix of the album cleverly conjured from the existing session tapes by engineer and project coproducer Mark Linett--the set proceeds through edited audio collages that document the evolution of each song's backing track. Along the way, listeners are treated to a playful, unreleased gem ("Trombone Dixie") and the very genesis of Wilson's other great period masterpiece, "Good Vibrations." Conversely, disc 2 presents all the songs' glorious harmonies, sans instrumental backing tracks, then 19 more tracks that highlight alternate working versions (including the original take on "I Know There's an Answer," the pointedly titled "Hang On to Your Ego"), session snippets, and radio promotional spots. Disc 3 contains a newly remastered version of the album's original mono mix. The album's two comprehensive booklets were written and edited by coproducer and veteran Beach Boy biographer David Leaf and include commentary by Wilson and quotes from McCartney and producer George Martin. The 126-page "Making of Pet Sounds" pieces together the recollections of the band, session men, and engineers behind the epochal album into a warm, human-scaled history. --Jerry McCulley

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.