PLAY! A Video Game Symphony - Chicago Premier = GOD-LIKE EVENT

Old 04-19-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PLAY! A Video Game Symphony - Chicago Premier = GOD-LIKE EVENT

Holy crap!

http://www.play-symphony.com/

» PLAY! to feature music from Blue Dragon

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., April 16, 2006 - Today, JMP Productions announced that Nobuo Uematsu's music from Blue Dragon will be performed exclusively for the first time at PLAY!'s premiere in Chicago on Saturday, May 27, 2006. The video game is designed by Final Fantasy series originator Hironobu Sakaguchi. The presentation of Blue Dragon at the concert will include never seen before visuals from the highly-anticipated Xbox 360 title. PLAY! A Video Game Symphony is a symphony concert world-tour featuring music from a catalogue of blockbuster video game titles.

Blue Dragon is an RPG developed by veterans of the video game industry, bringing together Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi with Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama providing character designs, and Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu contributing the soundtrack.

Says Jason Michael Paul: "We are pulling out all the stops for this once in a lifetime event at the PLAY! premiere. Come be a part of what promises to be a show of many firsts in the US and worldwide for that matter. I am just truly grateful to have the opportunity to give a sneak peek to one of the most anticipated video games that the world has ever seen. The inclusion of Blue Dragon into the program only further legitimizes this concert as being the marquee event of the year.".

All tickets for the world-premiere of PLAY! including the VIP meet and greet are available at the box office, Ticketmaster locations, by credit card at 312-559-1212 or on the internet at www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1009980.

Video game composers Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Koji Kondo, Jeremy Soule, Akira Yamaoka, Yuzo Koshiro, Jason Hayes and Marty O'Donnell will attend the VIP meet and greet in Chicago.

Additional tour dates including ticket information are available at the official PLAY! website at www.play-symphony.com/tickets.php. So far, PLAY! concerts have been announced for Chicago, Stockholm, Philadelphia, Vienna (Virginia) and Toronto.

© 2006 BIRD STUDIO / MISTWALKER, INC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
YUZO "THE MAN" KOSHIRO?! Nobuo Uematsu?! Koji Kondo? This is freaking unbelievable! Plus Kingdom Hearts in on the bill to be played! Uematsu has even created music specifically for this concert, which you can hear if you go to the website. This is crazy, I want to go so bad.. I know it'll make to the Dallas area.. or at least somewhere in driving distance.. but they are going ALL-OUT for this first show. I can't believe Yuzo Koshiro is going to be there and they're making him arrange Sonic the Craphog music. What an insult? He's got a full orchestra at his disposal and they're NOT going to let him play Actraiser?

Anyway, here's the bill:

FINAL FANTASY®
THE ELDER SCROLLS® III: MORROWINDTM
METAL GEAR SOLID®
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA®
HALO®
SUPER MARIO BROS.®
CHRONO TRIGGERTM
CHRONO CROSSTM
WORLD OF WARCRAFT®
KINGDOM HEARTSTM
SHENMUETM
SILENT HILL®
BATTLEFIELD 1942TM
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG®
Old 04-19-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was reading about this yesterday. It does sound like an awesome show. Good selection of music. I'd definately like to check it out if it came to Houston or Dallas. I'm going to the Video Games Live concert in Houston, in July. That should be a great show as well.
Old 04-19-06, 12:52 PM

Hmmm I'm in Chicago. I wish it was at one of the nice theaters here in downtown, but instead its at Rosemont which is guaranteed to sound like butt. Also, tickets after Ticketmaster fees are going to be $80 each. I'm really surprised that they expect that kind of attendence (Rosemont probably holds 20k people) and that people will pay that kind of price for a show like this... I guess these video game concerts have really gotten popular..
Old 04-19-06, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fodder1976
Hmmm I'm in Chicago. I wish it was at one of the nice theaters here in downtown, but instead its at Rosemont which is guaranteed to sound like butt. Also, tickets after Ticketmaster fees are going to be $80 each. I'm really surprised that they expect that kind of attendence (Rosemont probably holds 20k people) and that people will pay that kind of price for a show like this... I guess these video game concerts have really gotten popular..
I got tickets for $40 a piece, way up front. Never been to a concert at the Rosemont though. You are right, wish it was downtown.
Old 04-19-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go to meet Yuzo Koshiro but the meet and greet tickets are like $120.

My copy of "Bare Knuckle 2" would have been great to take and have him sign.
Old 04-19-06, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fodder1976

fyi it's the Rosemont Theatre not the Rosemont Horizon (allstate arena)

I heard the sound is pretty decent at there. But to be honest I haven't been there yet.
Old 04-19-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought tickets for this the day they went on sale . My friends went to the dear friends concert at this location last year, they said it was a pretty nice venue for a concert. Looks to be an awesome show! I cannot believe the celebrities they got to attend, the title says it all, these guys are like Gods, and to get them all in the same location is incredible. What I mean is since when does Koji Kondo (composer of mario and zelda music) ever stepped outside japan?
Old 04-20-06, 07:53 AM

Oh, I didn't realize there was a Rosemont Theatre, I'll have to check into it. This event being in a theatre and not a basketball stadium makes it infinitely more appealing.

Cooki3, I dunno how how you got those seats at that price, but I envy you. I will probably just get the $35 seat way in the back.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-20-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by azeledge
fyi it's the Rosemont Theatre not the Rosemont Horizon (allstate arena)

I heard the sound is pretty decent at there. But to be honest I haven't been there yet.
I can assure you the sound is just fine. Been there many many times and the acoustics have never been a detraction.
Old 04-20-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ghym
I was reading about this yesterday. It does sound like an awesome show. Good selection of music. I'd definately like to check it out if it came to Houston or Dallas. I'm going to the Video Games Live concert in Houston, in July. That should be a great show as well.
Hmm.. I might make a Houston trip for this. Is this the one being run by Tommy Tallarico? He seemed like a total tool when I saw him on G4 so I have my reservations about a show being run by him.
Old 04-20-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Hmm.. I might make a Houston trip for this. Is this the one being run by Tommy Tallarico? He seemed like a total tool when I saw him on G4 so I have my reservations about a show being run by him.

Yeah, that's the show run by Tommy. All the videos and trailers I've seen make it look really cool. I've also read reports of the shows, and those have all been positive. They have music from Halo, Warcraft, MGS, Medal of Honor, and a bunch more. They have 2 videos on IGN. A retro medley and music from MGS. I think it's insider-only though. They have a trailer for it on the Video Games Live webpage too. http://www.videogameslive.com
Old 07-18-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone go to the Play! concert in Chicago? How was it?

I just went to the Houston showing of Video Games Live. The music was great and it was a lot of fun. They played music from Warcraft, Halo, Mario, Zelda, Medal of Honor, MGS, Kingdom Hearts, Advent Rising, Sonic, Beyond Good and Evil, Everquest II, Myst, Tron, and a few more I'm forgetting. They also had a couple of interactive segments. They had a kid come up and play Space Invaders while the orchestra played along, then they had two guys compete at Frogger while the orchestra played. The winner of that got an AMD Ferrari laptop.

The only thing that was dissapointing was thier pre-concert festival. They had tv's setup to play games like Halo, Mario Kart, DDR, Smash Brother, and Guitar Hero II, but their setup was weak. They were running a GH2 tournament, but only had 2 small tv's setup, so there was quite a line to play. Also, the guitar I got to play on had a broken wammy bar. They said Game Crazy did the setup for the festival. They did a crappy job, imo.

However, overall it was a lot of fun, and I'd recommend going if it comes to your area.
Old 07-18-06, 06:19 PM

I went to the Chicago Play! concert. It was the best day of my life. There were so many famous people there just sitting in the audience it was insane. I got my mom to come (because she always enjoyed listening to the music even though I've only just gotten her to play Brain Age now), and she was sitting just a few seats away from Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill composer).

The event was phenomenal, incredible music, good choice of games, and even guest percussionist was awesome, he played a darbouka Indian drum and played it so fast it was great. For other guests, Koji Kondo (Mario, Zelda composer) played the New Super Mario Bros. theme on the piano, Angela Aki (the vocalist for FFXII) played on the piano (and sang) the Final Fantasy XII theme and FFVIII's Eyes on Me. The absolute best part was Akira Yamaoka rocking out on his electric guitar during Silent Hill II Theme of Laura. He's a true rock star, and even raised his hand during the performance causing evereyone to scream. They used the full choir for Metal Gear Solid theme, Elder Scrolls III (and Oblivion), and One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII. Guests who didn't perform but are of note who were in the audience were Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy), Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross), Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (Shenmue), Jeremy Soule (Elder Scrolls IV), and the guys behind the Halo music.
Old 07-19-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate you Outlaw.
Old 07-19-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like Outlaw either.

Would have been cool to attend that.
Old 07-19-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a lot of fun Outlaw. Wish I could have gone to that show too. I love listening to symphony orchestras. Probably because I played violin in school. They had a few composers at the VGL show as well. I know they had the composer for God of War and the guy who did the Warcraft music. They had others, but I didn't see them. They had a Q&A after the show, but I had to drive back to Austin and be up early in the morning, so I didn't stay for that. If Play! would ever come to Texas I'd love to go see that show as well.

Heh, a funny part of the VGL show was when they played the Sonic music. The Sega logo came up and the choir sang "Sega". That got a laugh out of the audience.

Last edited by Ghym; 07-20-06 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-19-06, 08:25 PM

You're gonna hate me even more when I tell you that I shook Yuzo Koshiro's hand as he was leaving the concert to go to the VIP area . I don't think he understood any english but I told him thank you anyway.

They played exclusive music at certain concerts:

For the Detroit concert a few weeks ago, they played music from Shadow of the Colossus (I wish they played this one at the chicago one, I LOVED this game's music)

For the Philadelphia concert next week, they are playing music from Prey, composed by Jeremy Soule. I never played Prey but Jeremy Soule's music is really good (based on what I heard from the Elder Scrolls III/IV music, a game which I never played either).
Old 07-19-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ghym
Heh, a funny part of the VGL show was when they played the Sonic music. The Sega logo came up and the choir "Sega". That got a laugh out of the audience.
You mean the whole choir sang "SEGA" when it showed?

Awesome.

Originally Posted by Outlaw
You're gonna hate me even more when I tell you that I shook Yuzo Koshiro's hand as he was leaving the concert to go to the VIP area . I don't think he understood any english but I told him thank you anyway.
Now i don't like you X infinite.
Old 06-14-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Play! is coming to DFW!
http://www.play-symphony.com/tickets.php

Oh.. and I'm going to Video Games Live next Wednesday.
Old 06-16-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if I'll ever be able to see this, but I'd DIE for an official concert DVD. I know the legal issues would be a nightmare but, still...
Old 06-17-07, 02:43 AM

This could very well be the best video game symphony concert I've ever heard of. The lineup is right out of my greatest hits disc. So wish I lived in Chicago.
Old 04-09-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: PLAY! A Video Game Symphony - Chicago Premier = GOD-LIKE EVENT

Originally Posted by dugan
I don't know if I'll ever be able to see this, but I'd DIE for an official concert DVD. I know the legal issues would be a nightmare but, still...
My concert DVD arrived in the mail today . I didn't even have to die.

Last edited by dugan; 04-09-09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Originally Posted by dugan
My concert DVD arrived in the mail today . I didn't even have to die.
link?
Old 04-10-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
link?
The link's in the first post.

At the top is a link that says "Shop." Click on it twice, and the CD/DVD bundle will become available.

I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the CD is AWESOME. Much better than the Video Games Live CD.

Last edited by dugan; 04-10-09 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-10-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I need to check on these to see when they're be around my area again.

I had a blast at all three that I went to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.