Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Restocking fee at best buys

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the weekend i bought a tomtom GPS unit at best buy. I tried it out for a couple of days and realized how bad it was. I tried to return it and they told me there is a restocking fee. I never planed to return it, in fact i wanted to return it for something else, but the restocking fee would still apply. I talked to the General manager yesterday over the phone and told him the couple of things that was wrong with the unit. He called me back today and left a message that the unit works and that if the maps are out of date, (Something that i told him that was wrong with the unit) to go download the update from the website. Now i am mad at best buy and that manager. How should i approach this situation? I was thinking about going in everyday to exchange the tomtom unit for the same one until they get fed up and decided to give in, or talk to the manager some more or even go above him.
Old 04-18-06, 02:44 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Is there an update you can download?
Old 04-18-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Restocking Fee
Unless defective, a 15% restocking fee will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems. Unless defective, a restocking fee of 25% will be charged on special order products, including appliances.
If you argue enough they will back down. I find it helps if you make a scene. Talk loudly, but don't yell. The last thing the manager wants is for other customers to hear how badly they plan on screwing you. It really does work.

A good argument is the product doesn't work as advertised or doesn't work as it should, etc. In my opinion, a product that doesn't do what it is meant to do or doesn't do it well is defective.
Old 04-18-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm fairly sure the "restocking fee" is posted in their policies (the big sign behind the customer service desk, as well as in writing on your receipt).

What amazes me is that they only charge the restocking fee on certain items. I've gotten fantastic deals on VCRs (years ago) and DVD players that had been returned and could no longer be sold as new. If you go back in a couple of days after you return your TomTom, you'll probably find it on a table with other returned items at a substantial discount.

What else was wrong with the unit. The manager is correct in the sense that you cannot expect the maps to be perpetually up-to-date, and if you want the most recent maps, you should simply follow their instructions for downloading updates. I wouldn't call that a flaw in the unit itself.

Was there anything truly wrong? If not, your story reminds me of the Seinfeld where Jerry tries to return a jacket. When asked why, he says spite. They say they can't take returns because of spite, so he said something like "OK, it's the wrong size." They said "I'm sorry sir, you already said spite, you can't change the reason."
Old 04-18-06, 03:12 PM

Other problems with the unit is that it's suppose to connect to my phone via bluetooth, but it doesn't connect, even when the manual states that my phone works. It routes the directions wrong. For example it will have me go through streets with stop signs to get to one place when it could route me on a different street that will get me there faster. I was going downtown LA one night and it wanted me to go through the streets when i had 8 miles left on the freeway. There is an update but not for the map, only for the unit which i downloaded and did nothing.
Old 04-18-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by NYSoprano
Other problems with the unit is that it's suppose to connect to my phone via bluetooth, but it doesn't connect, even when the manual states that my phone works.
That right there sounds like a good reason for a no-fee return. If they argue that that's not 'defective' then say, "You're right, the other word for "does not do what the box says it does" is "Fraud"" and see if they react to that.

When we were looking for a digital camera, I asked about the restocking fee. I said "When I spend 300-500$, I want it to be right, what if I find out this camera doesn't suit my needs, but that other one does?" The clerk said they would waive the restocking fee [though that was just a clerk, and I didn't test it.]

I think the restocking fee was originally more a disincentive for people 'renting' certain tech toys; if you return one, and buy another model/brand of the same type of thing, especially for the same price or more, I think the restocking fee should be waived; if you approach it that way, they might be more willing to do it.
Old 04-18-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's their way of sticking it to the man
Old 04-18-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
You can always do what this guy did:
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/bi/confes...ves/008833.asp

Summary: Store won't refund opened game so he exchanges it for a new, unopened copy. Then he goes back to the same customer service guy and asks for a refund for his unopened game. Store tries to argue but realizes it is futile. Score one for the little guy.
Old 04-18-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nice.
Old 04-18-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, um, here's the thing. If you can make a product appear to be unopened, then the store will likely accept it as a return without any hassle.
Old 04-18-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, that would work IF the company did not mark the receipt which 99% of them do now. He's lucky he got an imcompetent manager.
Old 04-18-06, 06:09 PM

While this doesn't really help with your current situation, but you can return alot of things at best buy opened without a restocking fee. I've returned 2 $300 video cards to them, and a $100 DVD player too. Basically, the only things that have a restocking fee is whats on the back of the receipt.
Old 04-18-06, 09:20 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Although not the case in this situation, the following example explains the need for restocking fees:

I had a friend in college who would always go to the closest electronics store just before a weekend roadtrip and buy the most expensive rader detector. He would then use it for two days, only to return in on Monday for a full refund. He always said, "Why buy the horse when the milk is free?".

Of course, this was the same person who would glue pennies together and give them to the fast food cashier so he could argue with them that he had indeed given them the correct change. What an a**hole!
Old 04-19-06, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Yeah, um, here's the thing. If you can make a product appear to be unopened, then the store will likely accept it as a return without any hassle.
When i went in, after some talking to the manager of the audio deptment for some time and him not giving in, i asked to exchange it for the same product. He then told me that they need to open the new package in the store which they did.
Old 04-19-06, 09:49 AM

NYSoprano -

I worked at Best Buy many moons ago (back in 96) and that is what they did when I worked there. Anyone who "exchanged" a cd or game had the new one opened. I've seen quite a few incidents from that, but nothing that got too out of hand.
Old 04-19-06, 10:13 AM

if you tell them how the unit is desfective, such as blue tooth not working, they should take it back or exchange it. Try going to a different store for the 2nd attempt. ALso if you paid with a credit card, most of these companies would let you return it though them. good luck!!
Old 04-20-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rich-y
Although not the case in this situation, the following example explains the need for restocking fees:

I had a friend in college who would always go to the closest electronics store just before a weekend roadtrip and buy the most expensive rader detector. He would then use it for two days, only to return in on Monday for a full refund. He always said, "Why buy the horse when the milk is free?".

Of course, this was the same person who would glue pennies together and give them to the fast food cashier so he could argue with them that he had indeed given them the correct change. What an a**hole!
dont quite get that last scheme...
Old 04-20-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Originally Posted by rich-y

Not to mention, his strange habit of milking horses...
Old 04-20-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by atari2600
dont quite get that last scheme...
i guess just to be an ass. "I did give you 27 cents, look at it!" when it "felt" like one quarter and one penny, since two pennies were stuck together.
Old 04-20-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
i guess just to be an ass. "I did give you 27 cents, look at it!" when it "felt" like one quarter and one penny, since two pennies were stuck together.
But a quarter would be a lot bigger.... i'm so confused