Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bonus ep of My Name Is Earl for DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Bonus ep of My Name Is Earl for DVD

I didn't see anything on this, but I thought some people would be interested in this. I think it sounds interesting. It just gives me one more reason to want to buy Season 1 on DVD.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-my...news-headlines

'Earl' DVD Extras Not for Kids
Actor Ethan Suplee reveals behind-the-scenes hijinks
By Hanh Nguyen
April 17 2006

LOS ANGELES -- "My Name Is Earl" may have a family-friendly, spiritual message at its core, but behind the scenes is a different story.

At a recent press day, actor Ethan Suplee, who plays Earl's brother Randy, reveals that the bonus features for the upcoming first season "Earl" DVD may not be suitable for children.

In March, Zap2it.com reported that a mini "what if" episode would be included that would imagine a world where Earl Hickey (Jason Lee) skipped over Carson Daly and his message about karma on TV and landed on "Family Guy's" megalomaniacal baby Stewie Griffin instead. Suplee confirms that this alternate premise will be more about raunch and less about redemption.

"I don't think we said f**k or anything like that, but I definitely don't think you could air it on television," says the actor. "It's the lost pilot ... it's just what if things were different. There's some funky stuff in there. We got to play around a bit with it."

The bonus episode was shot after the completion of filming for the season and will make a total of 25 episodes on the disc. Suplee also says that fans can look forward to the outtake reel featuring the nutty goings-on that didn't make it to air.

"The X-rated blooper reel should be fun," he adds. "Jason and I are pushing for an entire disc of bloopers because I always feel like they don't put enough in. We mess up at least once on every take. A lot of teabag moments too. A lot of dry humping going on in that bonus thing. At the wrap party I was terrified and had to get my kids out of there before the gag reel aired, and that was only 13 minutes long. Just the language alone is awful."

Despite "Earl's" popularity, Suplee still says he gets recognized most for playing the bully Frankie Stechino on the teen sitcom "Boy Meets World."

"It's unbelievable. It's crazy, and I think they just released it on DVD but it's on every day. It's inescapable," says Suplee. "'My Name is Earl' is not at the top of the recognition factor yet although I don't see why it's not. I think more people probably see me on that show every week than would see every movie I've been in combined. If you had 10 million people go to see your movie, it would be a massive success."

When fans do recognize Suplee as Randy, though, they often treat him like he's dim-witted like his character. "Strangely enough, a lot of people have said 'hi' to me but kind of like, 'Hey ...' and I've gone, 'Hey, how are you?' And they go, 'Oh, I thought you were maybe a little slow,' which is weird," he says.

And just like Earl's character, who's grown a little on his karmic crusade, Randy has evolved too.

"I don't think he's getting dumber," says Suplee. "From the pilot to now, there are certain things in the pilot that I would say wouldn't play the same or wouldn't' be applicable now. But I thought the other day that as Earl kind of moved more towards his karmic goodness, for Randy, any mean-spiritedness he had was washing away with that. So he is becoming I think more innocent."

The season finale of "Earl" will air sometime in May on NBC.
Old 04-17-06, 03:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd read about this extra before but I didn't realize it was an actual new episode. I figured it would be a 5-10 minute extra like the 'prequels' they put on the 24 DVD sets. I personally think it's a great idea for all involved. The studio has an additional selling point to market, while the fans get something new that's not just behind-the-scenes type stuff.
Old 04-17-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This definitely has been a great surprise of a show. The DVD should be excellent.
Old 04-17-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
"The X-rated blooper reel should be fun," he adds. "Jason and I are pushing for an entire disc of bloopers because I always feel like they don't put enough in. We mess up at least once on every take. A lot of teabag moments too. A lot of dry humping going on in that bonus thing. At the wrap party I was terrified and had to get my kids out of there before the gag reel aired, and that was only 13 minutes long. Just the language alone is awful."
Me too! I'd go for a whole DVD of bloopers for certain shows - this would definitely be one of them!!!
Old 04-17-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I'd read about this extra before but I didn't realize it was an actual new episode. I figured it would be a 5-10 minute extra like the 'prequels' they put on the 24 DVD sets. I personally think it's a great idea for all involved. The studio has an additional selling point to market, while the fans get something new that's not just behind-the-scenes type stuff.

I thought the same thing. I can't wait for it. A release date would be nice too.
Old 04-17-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds good to me. Hopefully, all episodes would contain all the original music as well.
Old 04-17-06, 07:46 PM

Hopefully, all episodes would contain all the original music as well.
Let's hope the producers were smart enough to take into consideration the music rights. With so many great songs I am clamouring for a soundtrack album. It would have to be two discs, at least.
Old 04-17-06, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Most TV Shows clear all music for DVD. I think this has been the case since 2002/2003 with the popularity of TV on DVD.
Old 04-19-06, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
Let's hope the producers were smart enough to take into consideration the music rights. With so many great songs I am clamouring for a soundtrack album. It would have to be two discs, at least.
What? You mean you don't ALREADY own all of those great songs?
Old 04-19-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Most TV Shows clear all music for DVD. I think this has been the case since 2002/2003 with the popularity of TV on DVD.
I read an article not too long ago about not expecting to see Cold Case on DVD any time soon for the very reason of music rights. They spend much of their budget on getting the rights for the broadcast that they can't afford to get the DVD rights for it too.