Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "Dalek" 4/14/06

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "Dalek" 4/14/06

The Year : 2012
The Place : Utah, USA
The Problem : A museum of alien artifacts... with one live alien specimen.

Starring Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose
Old 04-14-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is an excellent episode.
Old 04-14-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
If you're on the fence with this series - WATCH THIS EPISODE. It's definately one of the best of the season.

There....I just put my neck on the line.
Old 04-14-06, 10:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I've enjoyed the series, but it hasn't "wowed" me yet. I have high expectations for this episode.
Old 04-14-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I've enjoyed the series, but it hasn't "wowed" me yet. I have high expectations for this episode.
You'll never get that B5-type "wow" out of this series, but this episode is certainly my favorite of the first season as well.

Now that we've all built up this episode to possibly unrealistic expectations, let's see how many claim to be done after watching it.
Old 04-14-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
You'll never get that B5-type "wow" out of this series, but this episode is certainly my favorite of the first season as well.

Now that we've all built up this episode to possibly unrealistic expectations, let's see how many claim to be done after watching it.
It took me a while for this new series to really "Wow" me but this episode was the start of darker stories and some very good storytelling. Eccelston is quite intense in this episode as well. He does a great job.
Did the characters in the old show ever materialize in the US (other than the TV movie of course.)
Old 04-14-06, 12:15 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm not exactly in love with the 'new' series, but I eagerly anticipate and enjoy every episode. Billie Piper is easy on the eyes (it helps when she keeps her mouth shut - that accent is annoying) and Christopher Eccleston is one of the handful of actors of whom I'd watch anything they were in. I've enjoyed every single performance of his tremendously, from Cracker to Shallow Grave, and from Jude to Doctor Who.
Old 04-14-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Decent episode in a very so-so series. More than anything, for fans, I think it was nice to have the Doc back and not have the new show totally stink, but, honestly, the show is not that great. I can see why Doc newbies wouldnt really shine to it. Lots of room for improvement. Hopefully we will see some strides towards smoother production and better stories in the next series.
Old 04-14-06, 04:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This episode is the greatest thing ever produced by man. After watching it, you'll never want to have sex again...those urges will be surpassed by the urge to rewatch the episode.

NOTE: I am partially biased since the episode takes place in my basement.
Old 04-14-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
NOTE: I am partially biased since the episode takes place in my basement.
Huh?
Old 04-14-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I watched the first two episodes, and wasn't impressed. This, however, impressed me.
Old 04-14-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed it for what it is. Just like the previous episodes .... but better
Old 04-14-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
All right, I watched it. It was okay. But I think I am done with the show. I tried and it didn't work.
Old 04-14-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show is so dumb.

"Come with us!"
"No, I'm staying here."
"But you can't stop it!"
"I've got to try."

"Thank you, Doctor, but I think I know how to take care of one tin robot that's killed dozens of soldiers. Reeeeeady... now do the exact same thing they did!"

"We'd need a computer genius!"
"Good thing you've got me."

I like how the Doctor closed the bulkheads just to save his own ass, despite the fact that the Dalek is moving at about 0.5mph and he and Rose had enough time to have a little goodbye chat.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 04-14-06 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-14-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So you like it in other words?
Old 04-14-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The second travel mate could potentially be very annoying
Old 04-14-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
BTW, is it just this show, or do all British refer to the UN as if it were thier second government? scary
Old 04-15-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I like how the Doctor closed the bulkheads just to save his own ass, despite the fact that the Dalek is moving at about 0.5mph and he and Rose had enough time to have a little goodbye chat.
Well, although the power never actually seemed to go out, according to Van Statten the power was starting to fail, which is the reason they decided not to wait for Rose.
Old 04-15-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Well, although the power never actually seemed to go out, according to Van Statten the power was starting to fail, which is the reason they decided not to wait for Rose.
Luckily the power came back on for him to open the door again.
Old 04-15-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So you like it in other words?
Well, after all the hype I expected this episode to amazing, but it was pretty much like the other ones.
Old 04-15-06, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whe I was watching the "chase" scene with the Dalek moving a reputed 0.5 miles per hour, I couldn't help being reminded of the movie Spiders 2. Stephanie Nizniks charater was in the cargo hold of a ship with a giant spider. She would run around the side of a cargo trailer, stop, turn around, and wait for the slow moving spider to catch up. She would then run around the next corner, stop ... This went on for a good 10 minutes.

Do they really think we don't notice?
Old 04-15-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW, is it just this show, or do all British refer to the UN as if it were thier second government? scary
In the Whoverse, the United Nations has traditionally played a rather prominent role in the series, even as far back as the 1960s.

A key group, UNIT (United Nations Intelligence Task Force), is charged with the responsibility of dealing with alien threats and other weird goings-on. Sort of like a global X-Files.

Which, when you're dealing a near constant stream of alien invaders, makes sense to have a more prominent "global" government. The Daleks and Cybermen don't really care which country is which.
Old 04-15-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rewatching those UNIT episodes now though I do find it funny how the UN was almost always the good guys and the UK government was corrupt or just evil. UNIT was portrayed as being reactionary and incompetent though, just as almost every military organization on DW was. The primary exception I recall was when the Navy let them use some really cool gear for a story, so they brough in a weaselly under secretary from London to force the navy commander's hand.
Old 04-15-06, 10:03 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
All right, I watched it. It was okay. But I think I am done with the show. I tried and it didn't work.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I liked the first few episodes alright, but didn't like "Dalek". If it was intended to show a serious side to the Doctor, it didn't work.

Farscape: Starburst Edition 3.3 just arrived in the mail. I'll focus on that instead.
Old 04-15-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Well, after all the hype I expected this episode to amazing, but it was pretty much like the other ones.

Then I guess you'll be forced to quit watching the show and we will be forced to go on without you in the Doctor Who threads?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.