Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chan-Wook Park Revenge Trilogy DVD Boxset???

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purposely held off buying these DVDs seperately (and I really liked all 3 films) so that I could buy an evenual Trilogy Boxset (most likely from Korea) but so far the only one release has been a Japanese boxset without English Subtitles.

Does anyone think Korea will put one out? If so, I don't know what they are waiting for, the last film in the Trilogy has been out for some time.
Old 04-14-06, 02:12 AM

there will, if i remember correctly, be a box which simply packages together the korean issues as they stand - dont know how long you will have to wait. thing is, the korean 'mr.vengeance' is now kind of regarded as inferior to the USA tartan issue put out recently, which is a lovely disc : opinions differ slightly of course. there will also be a USA / UK trilogy box by the end of the year / early next. theres a japanese box - but no subs.
Old 04-15-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Also, I could be mistaken in this, but I'm don't recall hearing that the color -> BW version of Lady Vengeance would be released in any other regions than the original R3 either.
Old 04-15-06, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Also, I could be mistaken in this, but I'm don't recall hearing that the color -> BW version of Lady Vengeance would be released in any other regions than the original R3 either.
ive read at KFC about someone bumping into a top brass from tartan in the UK, and the guy didnt even know about the 'fade to grey' version of SFLV... so i suspect that it may not appear elsewhere but thats always to be proven otherwise, i am sure...
Old 04-17-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by logboy
there will, if i remember correctly, be a box which simply packages together the korean issues as they stand - dont know how long you will have to wait. thing is, the korean 'mr.vengeance' is now kind of regarded as inferior to the USA tartan issue put out recently, which is a lovely disc : opinions differ slightly of course. there will also be a USA / UK trilogy box by the end of the year / early next. theres a japanese box - but no subs.
why is it regarded as inferior?
Old 04-19-06, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
the transfer is sharper and more vibrant on the USA release. see the dvdbeaver comparison... nice.
Old 04-19-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
I have the original Korean release of "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and it did have one significant problem. There are a handful of instances where on-screen text (in the form of notes, computer text, etc.) are not subtitled on the DVD. The on-screen text is fairly integral to the film so it should have been translated. I don't know if this issue was ever fixed in subsequent re-issues or if it will be fixed when they release the trilogy box in Korea. If I recall correctly even the initial UK release did not translate the on-screen text. Without checking the reviews, I'm assuming the U.S. release addressed the issue.
Old 09-08-06, 11:59 PM

Looks like the UK will get the Vengeance Trilogy set first on 10/23, according to DVD Times (and Amazon UK):
Sympathy For Mr Vengeance; Oldboy; and Lady Vengeance all get special double disc treatments and are fully remastered.

Sympathy has two hours of extra material, while Oldboy has the autobiography of Oldboy and an English dubbed version. Lady Vengeance not only includes additional commentaries and deleted scenes, but also the Fade-To-Black-And-White feature, exclusive to the boxset.

Retail is £49.99 for the standard box-set, but there will also be a a numbered deluxe edition available (£79.99 RRP) in a special box designed after the Oldboy box, with added Vengeance-themed gifts including three lobby cards, Lady Vengeance gun blueprint poster, and a laser-engraved hammer/bottleopener!

Old 09-09-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by horroru
a laser-engraved hammer/bottleopener!
Sweet! I sure hope we get that here.
Old 09-10-06, 01:54 AM

does anyone know the current cheapest place to pre-order the deluxe set?

(on a related note: is there a www.dvdpricesearch.com equivalent website for non-region 1 dvds)
Old 09-12-06, 10:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flixtime
I have the original Korean release of "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and it did have one significant problem. There are a handful of instances where on-screen text (in the form of notes, computer text, etc.) are not subtitled on the DVD. The on-screen text is fairly integral to the film so it should have been translated. I don't know if this issue was ever fixed in subsequent re-issues or if it will be fixed when they release the trilogy box in Korea. If I recall correctly even the initial UK release did not translate the on-screen text. Without checking the reviews, I'm assuming the U.S. release addressed the issue.
I just got the Tartan DVD not too long ago and it seemed to me like it was missing a few subtitles too. When I get time I'm going to try to compare Tartan's subs with some I downloaded. Other than that my only complaint was that Tartan put their trailer on the disc instead of the original Korean trailer.
Old 09-12-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

you can pre-order at amazon.co.uk thats the only place I've seen with the preorder up.
I have all 3 korean releases but I'm double dipping on this one. so shiny
Old 09-14-06, 08:42 AM

does anyone know if the movie extra material is different from the previous release?
I already have previous PAL R2 edition of Mr. V and OldBoy. Should I kept them if this new box will not inclue the extra matreial on these previous release?
Thanks!
Old 09-21-06, 03:48 PM

better price?

Last edited by wennma01; 10-18-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 04:17 PM

anyone find a price for the deluxe edition that'll be less than ~$100(amazon.co.uk) shipped to the US??
Old 10-19-06, 07:13 AM

You can save a few pounds at hmv.co.uk - as for postage, I wouldn't know.
Old 10-19-06, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by horroru
You'd think for a trilogy this good they could have come up with a nicer box. That black and white box with the 3 faces on it is ugly as hell.
Old 10-19-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by josepotato
I just got the Tartan DVD not too long ago and it seemed to me like it was missing a few subtitles too. When I get time I'm going to try to compare Tartan's subs with some I downloaded.
All regions are missing those particular subtitles, unfortunately.
Old 10-19-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by tsetse27
does anyone know if the movie extra material is different from the previous release?
I already have previous PAL R2 edition of Mr. V and OldBoy. Should I kept them if this new box will not inclue the extra matreial on these previous release?
Thanks!

I'm in the same boat -- although I also have the Korean R3 LE for Lady V -- went ahead and preordered anyways (not too many details up at Amazon UK even now).

Oh well.
Old 10-26-06, 01:16 PM

Just received email from Amazon-UK my pre-order of the deluxe edition has been shipped out...
Old 10-26-06, 02:01 PM

Just received email from Amazon-UK my pre-order of the deluxe edition has been shipped out...
cool...please give a min-review of the extra stuff, and packaging....i'm still on the fence about dropping the money for this.
Old 10-26-06, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by josepotato
I just got the Tartan DVD not too long ago and it seemed to me like it was missing a few subtitles too. When I get time I'm going to try to compare Tartan's subs with some I downloaded. Other than that my only complaint was that Tartan put their trailer on the disc instead of the original Korean trailer.
I own the french Collector Edition (french subs and dub and theatre + director's cut versions) and the only thing I noticed
which is not translated is when she read the file about her daughter. Could someone give examples of scenes where the subs
are missing, so I could make a comparison.
Thanks.
Review (in french) at Dvdrama
Old 11-02-06, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by wennma01
cool...please give a min-review of the extra stuff, and packaging....i'm still on the fence about dropping the money for this.

Recived the package yesterday!! not enough time to watch all 6 disc but I tested each one of them for a few chapters.

1.) Packaging
The shape of the box is like the one in the picture. But the size... it is exactly like a "shoe box", maybe even a little smaller.
Somehow, I thought it would be a bigger box (it was a much bigger box in OldBoy.) So I was alittle disappointed. But again, this maybe just my own false impression.
The box is made of goss thick cardboard paper.

2.) The hummer
It is like one of those hummer you can get from dollar-store. The head is painted "OLDBOY" in white color font, but you can bearly see it. It is funny that it came with a note said that it is an "bottle opener", it can NOT used as hammer or tool...

3.) Gun blueprint poster from Lady Vengeance
Again, I was expecting too much... This is a small size (A8?) photo of the gun-blueprint. You can't really see the details on it, as it was really a photo of the wall with the blueprint sticked on...

3.) 3 lobby card
nice, nothing too special

4.) DVD box,
6-panels digit-pack (each holding one DVD) with an outer sleeve. Nice painting quality. But not the best kind of packaging, becuase you have to open up the whole thing just to get to any one of the DVD (similar to the R1 Alien 9-DVD box.)

There is also two pieces of black-color foams holding the hummer and the DVD box separatly in the "shoe box". The hummer is relatively heavy and can damage the DVD box without the foam.

Now, as for the DVDs, I notice the spec is posted at Tartan UK's site:
http://www.tartanvideo.com/ht_title_....asp?TITID=615

I already owns R2 Mr. Vengeance (1 disc set) and OldBoy (2 disc set), but I do not own R1 of any of the three mvoies. So I can only compare this box to the previous R2 edition.

1.) Sympathy of Mr. Vengeance
the remastered picture is much better on this new set. The previous edition has "ghosting" problem. I just watched the opening "factory" scense and compared. The picture is much shaper and brighter color than the previous edition.

Same manual design for both old and new edition (same for OldBoy.)

There is "behind the scense" festurette on the previous edition, which is different from the Production Featurettes on Disc-2 of this new set.

2.) OldBody
I am pretty sure the Disc-3 of the new set is exactly the same as the previous edition, execpt the new one added the English-dub track.

Disc 4 is the 3.5 hrs long "Autobiography of OldBoy", which is, obviously, different from the features on Disc-2 of previous edition.

3.) Lady Vengeance
Tartan websit does not mention there is also an introduction by the director before the movie. It is interesting to hear the director talked about his intention of the "fade-to-black" version.

Conclusion:
1. This new boxset has different extra then previous R2 edition.
2. I will not said this is the definitive Vengeance box-set. Let's see what will happen on R1 (if you need english sub) or R3 release (Korean can come up with some kick-ass boxset.)
3. Tartan charge way too much for a silly hummer and a low-quality poster. How about the soundtrack CD as extra instead...?
Old 11-02-06, 01:19 PM

Recived the package yesterday!! not enough time to watch all 6 disc but I tested each one of them for a few chapters.

1.) Packaging
The shape of the box is like the one in the picture. But the size... it is exactly like a "shoe box", maybe even a little smaller.
Somehow, I thought it would be a bigger box (it was a much bigger box in OldBoy.) So I was alittle disappointed. But again, this maybe just my own false impression.
The box is made of goss thick cardboard paper.

2.) The hummer
It is like one of those hummer you can get from dollar-store. The head is painted "OLDBOY" in white color font, but you can bearly see it. It is funny that it came with a note said that it is an "bottle opener", it can NOT used as hammer or tool...

3.) Gun blueprint poster from Lady Vengeance
Again, I was expecting too much... This is a small size (A8?) photo of the gun-blueprint. You can't really see the details on it, as it was really a photo of the wall with the blueprint sticked on...

3.) 3 lobby card
nice, nothing too special

4.) DVD box,
6-panels digit-pack (each holding one DVD) with an outer sleeve. Nice painting quality. But not the best kind of packaging, becuase you have to open up the whole thing just to get to any one of the DVD (similar to the R1 Alien 9-DVD box.)

There is also two pieces of black-color foams holding the hummer and the DVD box separatly in the "shoe box". The hummer is relatively heavy and can damage the DVD box without the foam.

Now, as for the DVDs, I notice the spec is posted at Tartan UK's site:
http://www.tartanvideo.com/ht_title_....asp?TITID=615

I already owns R2 Mr. Vengeance (1 disc set) and OldBoy (2 disc set), but I do not own R1 of any of the three mvoies. So I can only compare this box to the previous R2 edition.

1.) Sympathy of Mr. Vengeance
the remastered picture is much better on this new set. The previous edition has "ghosting" problem. I just watched the opening "factory" scense and compared. The picture is much shaper and brighter color than the previous edition.

Same manual design for both old and new edition (same for OldBoy.)

There is "behind the scense" festurette on the previous edition, which is different from the Production Featurettes on Disc-2 of this new set.

2.) OldBody
I am pretty sure the Disc-3 of the new set is exactly the same as the previous edition, execpt the new one added the English-dub track.

Disc 4 is the 3.5 hrs long "Autobiography of OldBoy", which is, obviously, different from the features on Disc-2 of previous edition.

3.) Lady Vengeance
Tartan websit does not mention there is also an introduction by the director before the movie. It is interesting to hear the director talked about his intention of the "fade-to-black" version.

Conclusion:
1. This new boxset has different extra then previous R2 edition.
2. I will not said this is the definitive Vengeance box-set. Let's see what will happen on R1 (if you need english sub) or R3 release (Korean can come up with some kick-ass boxset.)
3. Tartan charge way too much for a silly hummer and a low-quality poster. How about the soundtrack CD as extra instead...?

thanks, it looks like i may pass on this and wait for a r1 or r3. I already have the UK tartan My Vengeance and OldBoy...and i also plan to get the 3 disc r1 tin of Oldboy thats coming out.

any one know of any plans or rumors for a different region nice deluxe box set coming out?
Old 11-16-06, 12:32 AM

I'll bump this thread because, well, it needs some bumpin'.......

-- If this van's a rockin' don't come a knockin'

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.