Sony PlayStation 2 price cut seen soon

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-13-06, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060413/...ystation2_dc_1

Thu Apr 13, 2:12 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T) is expected to cut the price of its popular PlayStation 2 video game console by 13.4 percent before the end of the month, Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian said on Wednesday.

"Our industry checks indicate that Sony is planning to cut the PS2 price to $129 from the current $149 before the end of this month," Sebastian said in a client note.

A Sony spokeswoman declined comment.

Analysts have been waiting for a price reduction on Sony's market-leading video game console ahead of the expected release of its new PlayStation 3 in November.

In the past, such price cuts have helped reignite stagnating console and game sales. The video game industry is currently suffering through a rocky transition to next-generation console technology that has stalled sales.

"Hardware price cuts are necessary not only to drive demand at the end of a console cycle, but also to bring the current-generation consoles within reach of more value-oriented customers," Sebastian said.

Sony last cut the price on its stand-alone PS2 to $149 from $179 in June 2004. To date, the company's worldwide PS2 shipments have topped 101 million units.

Sebastian added that Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) could also trim the price on its Xbox game console, but said the impact of that would be limited due to dwindling supplies of the company's first game machine that now sells for around $149.

Microsoft launched its next-generation Xbox 360 console in November. The more popular premium system retails for $400.

There doesn't seem to be a general PS2 thread, so here it is.

Chris
Old 04-13-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like a small price-cut considering the hardware will be "replaced" soon.
Old 04-13-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Seems like a small price-cut considering the hardware will be "replaced" eventually.
Fixed

Old 04-13-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two in my house. I bought one a few years back, and then the other one was one from burger king. They both work fine but they are the fat model, and take up too much space. I want the skinny model, but I will wait for them to fall to $99 or less.
Old 04-13-06, 02:54 PM
Banned

Like I mentioned in another thread, Sony will not cut to $99 until just before the PS3 launches (similar to how they handled the PSOne). This is just the next step towards that eventual $99 price point.
Old 04-13-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally, I can buy it so, I can get 24 Game.
Old 04-13-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you imagine how cheap $99 will be for so much technology? For that price you get a video game machine with online functionality, plus a controller, plus a CD player, plus a DVD player. Crazy how far we've come technologically in the past 5 years!
Old 04-17-06, 05:34 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's gonna be $129.99. Confirmed by CAG.
Old 04-17-06, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by eau
It's gonna be $129.99. Confirmed by CAG.

Seems like a conservative price drop and probably will not bring too many new people to the PS2.

Chris
Old 04-20-06, 12:24 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060420/...aystation_dc_2

Sony cuts US PlayStation 2 price by 13 pct
1 hour, 40 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T) on Thursday said it cut the U.S. price of its popular PlayStation 2 video game console by about 13 percent, saying the discount should help fuel demand.

In a statement, the company said that effective immediately the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system would retail for about $130, down from a previous price of around $149.

Analysts have been waiting for a price reduction on Sony's market-leading video game console ahead of the expected release of its new PlayStation 3 in November. Sony has kept mum on the price of its new system, due in stores in November.

Rival Nintendo Co. Ltd (7974.OS) is also slated to release its next-generation machine, code-named Revolution, this year.

Video game console makers typically reduce prices to spur demand, particularly as a device ages or ahead of the launch of a new model.

PlayStation 2, first introduced in 2000, has shipped over 101 million units and dominates the interactive game console market, despite the introduction last year of Microsoft Corp.'s (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) next generation device, Xbox 360. The more popular premium Xbox 360 system retails for $400.

Sony last cut the price on its stand-alone PS2 to about $149 from $179 in June 2004. Last week, Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian suggested that Microsoft could also trim the price on its original Xbox device, but said the impact of that would be limited due to dwindling supplies of the machine that now sells for around $149.

Console price cuts could also recharge slumping U.S. video game sales, which fell 8 percent in March, its seventh straight monthly decline, according to data from market research firm NPD Group. March hardware sales tumbled 31 percent on weak sales of current-generation consoles.

(Additional reporting by Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles)

Chris
Old 04-20-06, 03:49 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New lower price is effective at B&M and online stores now
Old 04-20-06, 04:06 PM

Yep, saw the new prices today, $129 brand new at Gamestop. I believe it was $110 for a used/refurb slim PS2.