Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Paradise Now - Good Blind Buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody seen this that can recommend it as a good blind buy? In light of the world events the past several years in the Middle East, it seems very compelling. DVDTalk rated it highly recommended. Unfortunately, I haven't found it for less than about $20, and blind buys are tough to justify at that price point. I welcome your opinions.
Old 04-13-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I watched it once. Good film. No replay value really.

May be because of my Jewish heritage, but I dunno....
Old 04-13-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I watched it once. Good film. No replay value really.

May be because of my Jewish heritage, but I dunno....

Well, I am going to strongly disagree with you comments and recommend this film highly once again to the original poster. The film provides a completely different look at the complicated situation in the region and more importantly it does so in a flawless manner. From the big three films that came out last year dealing with the subject of "terrorism"- The War Within, the Italian production Private, and Paradise Now, this is clearly the best film with the strongest story and characters. Aside from that the locations used in this film are to say the least stunning. I was hoping for some massive extras (like the ones provided for the German DVD with the deleted secenes and interviews) but the R1 does not provide anything! Regardless this is indeed a great film!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-13-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with pro bass, but it is severely lacking in extras. It has a trailer, but this is the kind of movie that badly needs some behind the scenes features. I don't regret having it in my collection, but I really wish they'd re-release it in R1 with more stuff. If you can get a good price on it, i.e Columbia House, future sale, don't hesitate to pick it up.
Old 04-14-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO - One of the best films of last year - should have won the foreign film Oscar and I loved Sophie Scholl (Tsotsi was just OK). I'll buy it if I find a cheap used copy,but I'm cutting down on my purchases right now.
Old 04-14-06, 10:37 AM
Banned

The film didn't grab me personally, and I don't see much rewatch value in it. The end put me off the most, and while it was art imitating life, I didn't even see a reason for the film to be made, given the end result.
Spoiler:
As usual, the duo was split on the executing of the bombings, having spent the entire movie trying to decide, and there was no real or meaningful closure.
Old 04-14-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
The end put me off the most, and while it was art imitating life, I didn't even see a reason for the film to be made, given the end result.
What excatly should the ending look like so it affects someone/anyone?

Pro-B
Old 04-14-06, 11:12 PM
Banned

A true resolution would have been fitting (and satisfying), but given it was headline news cum from personal plight, the two men featured more or less were representative of their countries, their stance even today, and rightfully so reflected that
Spoiler:
their nation is still divided and indecisive by the film's end. One went to die for their "beliefs" and honor, whereas the other one saw "the light", so to speak.

A more effective and engaging movie in the same vein would be "Turtles Can Fly".
Old 04-15-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A true resolution...??

Headline news cum...??

Turtles Can Fly?

Your post is either missing a substantial part since I have no idea what you are talking about OR, you saw a different movie with a similar title...I am truly unsure what you are talking about. Because you did not like the ending the film did not serve any purpose?? I would go on record here and point out to you that the message this film unveils is unmatchable at least considering 99% of the films I saw Hollywood produce last year!

And to attempt to equate Turtles Can Fly to Paradise Now is just about the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard.

Regards,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-15-06 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-15-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another high recommendation here. Along with Cache, The Squid and the Whale, Thumbsucker, and probably a couple others I am forgetting, this is one of my favorites from last year. I would not go so far as to say that the film is flawless, but it is certainly gutsy, and I think that counts for a lot. The story is told intelligently and the ending hits just the right note, provoking anger, pathos, and just deep sadness. In addition, the performances are great, and, on a more superficial level, I must say that I found the lead actress to be ridiculously hot.
Old 04-16-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input. I ordered it at Overstock for $17.99 with free shipping. A bit steep, but I don't expect a title like this to have much of a price reduction any time soon (and the eventual DDD sale would have only saved me a $1 and change). It seems like a great "bookend" title to go with the Criterion Collection's Battle of Algiers.
Old 04-16-06, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
A true resolution...??

Headline news cum...??

Turtles Can Fly?

Your post is either missing a substantial part since I have no idea what you are talking about OR, you saw a different movie with a similar title...I am truly unsure what you are talking about. Because you did not like the ending the film did not serve any purpose?? I would go on record here and point out to you that the message this film unveils is unmatchable at least considering 99% of the films I saw Hollywood produce last year!

And to attempt to equate Turtles Can Fly to Paradise Now is just about the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard.

Regards,
Pro-B
Frankly, no. It didn't do anything for me, other than reflect, as I said, what we see in the news everyday. The country is torn, and like the movie, there won't be any resolution until both sides can come to a realization. No real "message" to speak of, except that of that there are a few Palestinians that are capable of independent thought, although they're outnumbered, rendering their views on war/religion useless.

It poses questions, gives no answers, reiterates a popular topic, and offers no resolution. I don't delve any furthur than that, because their plight/religion doesn't interest me. I'm speaking from a cinematic standpoint.
Old 04-16-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
I don't delve any furthur than that, because their plight/religion doesn't interest me. I'm speaking from a cinematic standpoint.
That simply closes our discussion and frankly I am not interested in debating the positives/negatives of the film any further either.

Thank you!

Pro-B
Old 04-16-06, 08:13 PM
Banned

You don't even have to have a vested interest for your opinion to matter when it's virtually this simple. Someone changed their mind, and their country is still hopeless. No sympathy for self-oppression, cowardice, and indecision. Not from me.