Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Weeds Season 1 - No Date, But Everything Else!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this show.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5472

Welcome to Spring, 2006. Where's Weeds? Last December we posted news that there was a trailer on Lionsgate's DVD for the film Happy Endings that said to expect the first season of Showtime's hit series Weeds in "Spring 2006". Here we are in that season of that year, and still no announcement from Lionsgate just yet, while they're already announcing titles for Summer 2006. So we don't expect this, once announced, to have a ship date prior to either June or July.

But that announcement has to be on the way, because we DID get the front and rear box art for the package! And, with the rear cover art, we got a list of extras as well! Here's that list, followed by the artwork. Stay tuned for more info in the not too distant future, about the DVDs for the show who's star (Mary Louise Parker) won the Golden Globe over all of those Desperate Housewives!!

• "Smokey Snippets"
  • Six Commentaries with Cast and Crew
  • "Smoke and Mirrors" Original Marijuana Mockumentary
  • Agrestic Herbal Recipes
  • Showtime Original Content Including Special On Suburbia
  • Music Video
  • Full Screen Presentation
  • 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio
  • DVD Menus
  • Closed Captions

Last edited by PixyJunket; 04-13-06 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-13-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREAT GREAT show... Really really funny. Kevin Nealon is great in his parts. Cant wait till this comes out and S02 comes out
Old 04-13-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice, people have recommened it to me, but I don't have Showtime. Are these 1/2 hour episodes? I'll check it out when released.
Old 04-13-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Are these 1/2 hour episodes?
Yep. I believe there are 12 in all. Very good show. I didn't like it at first, but something made me go back and give it another chance, and once
Spoiler:
the brother-in-law joined the cast
it really solidified.

Also, the best soundtrack on TV.
Old 04-13-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nice... I wasn't able to catch the last couple episodes when they aired, so i've been looking forward to this one...
Old 07-06-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know why Lions Gate is doing this in full screen when the show is filmed in widescreen? I've only ever seen it that way in HD.

This is one title that went from a "must buy" to a "no buy" for me thanks to another bungled Lions Gate release. Why can't they ever just release titles in OAR? Maybe we will luck out and get a re-release ala Lord of War.

Last edited by NitroJMS; 07-06-06 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-06-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone know why Lions Gate is doing this in full screen when the show is filmed in widescreen? I've only ever seen it that way in HD.
I could be completely wrong about this, but isn't 'Weeds' filmed in 1.33:1 and cropped for 1.78:1 like "the oc" and 'ER"?

Personally, while I prefer 1.78:1, a fullscreen transfer is not something that puts me off as much as a lot of people... I just don't get how it can be sooo horrible. All widescreen TVs have the option for the black bars on the sides instead of the top/bottom, so its not like you have to watch it all out of porportion...
Old 07-06-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I could be completely wrong about this, but isn't 'Weeds' filmed in 1.33:1 and cropped for 1.78:1 like "the oc" and 'ER"?

Personally, while I prefer 1.78:1, a fullscreen transfer is not something that puts me off as much as a lot of people... I just don't get how it can be sooo horrible. All widescreen TVs have the option for the black bars on the sides instead of the top/bottom, so its not like you have to watch it all out of porportion...
I was googling the topic and found a post on another forum about a comparison of the 4x3 and 16x9 versions and apparently the 16x9 version does show more on the sides so its not simply a matter of matting the top and bottom of the image. There was another reference to Lions Gate stating that they were releasing it in 4x3 since that's the way "most people saw it originally."

Lions Gate will probably just double dip this down the road with a Weeds Season 1: Wacky Tobacky Edition! with bonus first time in widescreen! They've certainly done it with all their other releases lately (Lord of War, Crash, Saw).

Last edited by NitroJMS; 07-06-06 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-06-06, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Its crap like this -- screwing up the OAR and flubbing the quality like Las Vegas season 1 that really encourages people who can record the HD broadcasts to do so and sit on those recordings instead of purchasing the DVDs.

Just think - if there was competition, like say mandatory minimum of two publishers for every show, we would have companies striving to out do each other for picture quality and features at great prices - see what happened with "Zombi 2" and Blue Underground vs ShriekShow for an example that in practice.
Old 07-06-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^This is why I download episodes of TV shows....in case of releases that are just awful (Weeds, House Season 1), or never happen (Karen Sisco).

And Im almost positive Weeds aired in letterbox on the SD Showtime channel....am I wrong? So that argument about "its how most people saw it originally" is stupid.
Old 07-06-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked it up because I love the show, but (epsecially in the pilot) the 4x3 transfers are a hack job. Many scenes look really awkwardly framed...definitely NOT how I saw it originally. Other than the OAR mishap, the sound and PQ are decent - I just wish Lion's Gate would stop trying to fuck up everything they touch.

MATT
Old 07-19-06, 01:31 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
WTF. Full Screen? I knew something was wrong as soon I watched an episode. Way to go Lions Gate!
Old 07-19-06, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oof. wish i saw this thread before i ordered from amazon last week.
Old 08-13-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just passed on this thanks to this thread (and it's mentioning of the 'full framing').

Sorry Lion's Gate, you lost this customer this time.

= J
Old 08-24-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This really pisses me off. I recently got into this show and I never saw all of S1 so I was hoping to pick up the 1st season. Not anymore. I plan on writing to LG to let them know that they need to stop messing with OAR for home video. It's retarded.
Old 08-24-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Btw... anyone know if Weeds: S1 was released in it's OAR in another region?
Old 03-01-07, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Widescreen anamorphic in R4 and R2. Both upcoming. Seems to have dropped extras though compared to the R1. No mention of commentary etc only the Smoke and Mirrors doco.
Old 03-01-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, it was a good show although funny if your familiar with what the show is based on. 5 stars for the show. 1 star for the accuracy of the biz. It was too funny.
Old 03-11-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's coming in widescreen for region 1 now..

On Blu-Ray.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7009