DVD Talk
Can I drink soda after wisdom teeth extraction surgery? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Can I drink soda after wisdom teeth extraction surgery?

Neuman
04-12-06, 05:46 PM
I can't find an answer to this anywhere, and my dentist's office is closed.

I just got 2 of my wisdom teeth removed, and I know I have a very limited selection of what I can eat right now. But, can I drink soda? Thanks.

Neuman
04-12-06, 05:54 PM
Hmm, well the main thing that they tell you after wisdom teeth surgery is to NOT use a straw at all under any circumstance. The negative suction can cause dry sockets.

Xanager
04-12-06, 06:09 PM
I've read that you shouldn't drink carbonated beverages or hot liquids for 3-4 days after your surgery. Has to do with maintaining the clot to prevent dry sockets. Nonetheless, I'm sure plenty of people do it w/o consequences, but drink at your own risk :)

kakihara1
04-12-06, 06:10 PM
dude drinking soda is fine, but DO NOT use a straw, don't smoke don't do anything like that, or you will get dry sockets and they are insanely painful. Also stay away from eating solid foods for at least a few days, it's a small sacrifice for having your mouth heal properly.

AGuyNamedMike
04-12-06, 06:16 PM
Having had my lower wisdom teeth extracted, let me say ditto. Take this opportunity to reduce your soda intake and just drink water for the next few days. Your body might like the change, I know mine did. I also remember that after the follow-up visit, once the holes started to heal and fill up with tissue, the dentist gave me an irrigation syringe to use to clean food out of the pits after meals. I had to do this for about a month until the pits filled completely with new gum tissue.

AudioWizard
04-12-06, 06:18 PM
I just had my wisdom teeth pulled last week and let me tell you, I was sucking back the soda 2 hours later.

FantasticVSDoom
04-12-06, 07:50 PM
I was drinking soda about 30 minutes after...Just like others have said, just dont use a straw is all.

Celtic Bob
04-12-06, 07:55 PM
Had 2 out yesterday and I was told to drink lukewarm water for first 4-6 hrs. Nothing at all for first hour. After 4-6 you can try soft food. Rinse with a saltwater solution after 24hrs and repeat several times the following day. Mine seems OK now. I had hot coffee this morning and seems OK. I dont use a straw or drink soft drinks anyhow.

TheNightFlier
04-12-06, 08:20 PM
Had 2 of mine taken out in January. I drank water for a couple days. Just don't use a straw as everyone has pointed out.

Neuman
04-12-06, 08:25 PM
I think one of my stitches is coming out. I am scared of dry sockets.

NORML54601
04-12-06, 08:38 PM
You can drink anything so long as you use a straw.

TheNightFlier
04-12-06, 08:43 PM

Wouldn't worry about it, I didn't even have stitches. Just use some of the gauze pads they give you.

GrimTangent
04-12-06, 09:11 PM
Do a lot of people drink soda through a straw?

Chad
04-13-06, 12:13 AM
All I can tell you is that I was swallowing too much blood to keep anything down. Looked like an anorexic chipmunk.

:yack:

RunBandoRun
04-13-06, 10:34 AM
Do a lot of people drink soda through a straw?

I always drink through a straw. It's easier on my lipstick. :D

mllefoo
04-13-06, 10:41 AM
I was too sick from the anesthesia to want soda after my wisdom tooth was taken out.

I'm glad I only had one to worry about. I'm also glad they put me under for it.

sracer
04-13-06, 01:00 PM
Avoid liquids at temperatures at either extreme. (hot or cold) Don't drink through a straw. Keep your head elevated. Don't exert yourself. Avoid ingesting anything that reduces the blood's ability to clot. Bed rest for 2-3 days.

bunkaroo
04-13-06, 01:23 PM
What a coincidence. I just had all 4 of mine taken out as well as a small cyst that had formed over one of the impacted ones that hadn't broken the gum.

I was drinking 7-up to try and settle my stomach since the general anesthesia and blood on my stomach from the surgery made me sick.

Your doctor should have given you a post-procedure instruction sheet. Mine did. Basically you don't want to spit or suck or anything like that the first day. First 24 hours are the time to be most careful. After that they let me brush my other teeth as needed, and I've been doing salt water rinses every few hours.

Did you need any stitches? I got dissolvable ones and I've had this horrid medicine-y taste in mouth for days. Yuck.

jeffkjoe
04-13-06, 03:05 PM
I think it should be okay.

seoulbrotha
04-13-06, 03:12 PM
i'd probably say...not a good idea...just drink water, etc... and personally i did when i got all 4 of mine out.

my friend on the other hand, was eating steak and drinking whatever he wanted about 2 hours after surgery. so ultimately...it's up to you...

Kudama
04-13-06, 03:15 PM
I just got 2 of my wisdom teeth removed, and I know I have a very limited selection of what I can eat right now. But, can I drink soda? Thanks.

It depends. Could you drink soda before the procedure?

...:rimshot:

(boo yah! I just wanted to use that smilie :) )

Neuman
04-14-06, 09:22 AM
So, my bloodclot on the bottom left... hole.. came out.

I called the dentist and he said not to worry about it, just don't rinse or spit much today.

But, doesn't losing the bloodclot lead to a 100% chance of getting a dry socket...which is 100% the most painful thing on earth?

rocketsauce
04-14-06, 10:24 AM
damn.... i just found out yesterday that i have to get my bottom two taken out. i already HATE the dentist. this thread is defianately scaring the shit out of me right now. plus my brother had his taken out and like a day afterwards his wouldnt stop bleeding and he had to go back and get them restitched or something. this might be a dumb question but they do put you under the entire procedure correct? so you don't feel anything during the surgery, you just wake up and it's done?

Neuman
04-14-06, 10:43 AM
Some people just get local anathesia and some people get knocked out totally. When I called up to make the appointment, they told me that they were going to do local anathesia...so I mentally prepared for the sight and sound of my teeth breaking...but when I got to the dentists office, they told me they were going to knock me out completely. Which was fine by me!

But now, I am scared shitless of dry sockets.

rocketsauce
04-14-06, 10:50 AM
there is no way in hell i can psych myself up for the sight and sound of teeth breaking. i need to be completely out. if not they aren't getting my business. man i am so not looking forward to this.

Neuman
04-14-06, 10:53 AM
The procedure itself is NOTHING. It's the aftermath you gotta worry about.

bunkaroo
04-14-06, 11:12 AM
You'll be fine as long as you follow the instructions. The better and more detailed your dentist's post-op instructions are, the better you'll do. I was referred to an oral surgeon, and this is all he does. he had an extensive post-op care sheet, and just about everything has gone along the way it should so far.

I was worried about the sockets too since the evening of the day I had it done, I puked twice from the anesthetic and vicodin, which seemed to make them bleed a little more than they should. But after the first 24 hours things got progressively better.

Af ras as what kind of anesthetic or sedation, my feeling is that if you are younger than 24 and your wisdom teeth aren't impacted, local is probably fine unless you're really anxious about being awake.

I'm 31, my bottom two were messed up pretty bad, and I needed to have a cyst under the gum removed, so believe me there was no way I was going to be awake for that.

It's bee 6 days for me now and aside from some minor soreness and this ligering nasty taste from the dissolving stitches and/or medicine I'm on, I'm doing pretty good.

I used to hate the dentist too, but if you find ones that do great work and you can trust them, there's no reason not to go.

rocketsauce
04-14-06, 01:40 PM
im 25 and there is no way i am going to be awake for this.

twikoff
04-14-06, 02:22 PM
getting wisdom teeth pulled is a piece of cake.. quick and painless, no lingering effects

getting widom teeth cut out isnt bad.. they put you out, you follow the instructions.. take the pain medecine although most people i know (myself included) never felt a need for them, just took them because we had them..

and MOST stories of dry socket are heavily exaggerated... the only people i know of that claim to have had bad cases of dry socket are heavy smokers.. and you know they were just begging for it.. and it didnt help that they continued smoking after getting dry sockets.. but its definitly not something to worry about.

technology has changed alot in the past 20 years.. the horror stories are just that, horror stories.

twikoff
04-14-06, 02:25 PM
But, doesn't losing the bloodclot lead to a 100% chance of getting a dry socket...which is 100% the most painful thing on earth?

nope, and most painful thing? someone has been giving you a heavy line (trying to scare you??)..
there are many different cases..
follow the instructions, and you are fine

but some people get dry sockets and barely notice
some people get them, and just have a mild annoyance
some people get them, and have some pain, but the dentist prescribes something that takes care of it
and some people get them, and have lots of pain (although i can think of ALOT of things much more painful).. but most of the people in this last group did stupid stuff just asking for the pain.

sracer
04-14-06, 03:31 PM
getting wisdom teeth pulled is a piece of cake.. quick and painless, no lingering effects

getting widom teeth cut out isnt bad.. they put you out, you follow the instructions.. take the pain medecine although most people i know (myself included) never felt a need for them, just took them because we had them..
As long as it isn't a complicated scenario, this is true.

and MOST stories of dry socket are heavily exaggerated... the only people i know of that claim to have had bad cases of dry socket are heavy smokers.. and you know they were just begging for it.. and it didnt help that they continued smoking after getting dry sockets.. but its definitly not something to worry about.
Again, for the most part, this is true. Although there's no guarantee that if you follow the dentists post-op orders to the letter that you can prevent dry-socket, even if you get one, it isn't as bad as many stories make it sound... provided you acknowledge the fact that you have dry socket and make accomodations for it. I recently had the last 2 wisdom teeth pulled a few month ago (the first 2 were extracted 20+ years earlier) and although I followed the instructions to the "tee", the extraction areas didn't bleed enough to form a clot, and ended up with dry socket. I just had to refrain from eating/drinking anything of extreme temperatures (cold or hot) for a few weeks. Tylenol and Advil were enough to dull any discomfort I had.

technology has changed alot in the past 20 years.. the horror stories are just that, horror stories.
I can wholeheartedly agree with this. There HAVE been amazing technological advances in the past 20 years.

rocketsauce
06-02-06, 05:15 PM
Follow up time and it's a doozy. So i go in and i ask if i was going to be put under. No. Local only. Son of a bitch. So i ask the surgeon how long it was going to take. He said half hour. It took two. He said he had been doing this for 28 years and i was the hardest case ever. Yeah all this and im awake hearing him crack my damn teeth. he showed me one of the roots and it looked like a damn corkscrew and that was why mine were so damn hard to get out. He actually had to take a break to settle himslef it was so bad. Afterwards he's like I'm going to personally call you for the next two days to check up on you. Wow that bad. He gave prescrips for percocet extra strength Vicodin and the anti inflams and antibiotics. This sucks ass!!!!

fiver
06-02-06, 05:52 PM
I just had my upper left wisdom tooth out last Friday. I'm 31 and felt pretty lucky that I had just enough room in my mouth for my 4 wisdom teeth to all come in pretty well (although I've always had periods where food would get back there and irritate the area). Last year I had my dentist fill a cavity in my upper left wisdom tooth, and he said if I ever had even a twinge of a problem back there he would pull it out. Fortunately this is the best dentist I've ever had...seems to understand the anxieties of being a patient and has a good bedside manner to make you feel at ease...the fact that he seems to have a good technique is great too. I've always had bad dentists for checkups/cleanings before now which may contribute to the fact that I don't go as often as I should. Anyway, last Thursday during lunch, I bit down on a piece of bread too hard and immediately afterward could tell something was wrong with my tooth...no serious pain but definitely something amiss. So I went into the dentist the next day and he told me it was cracked and he was going to pull it out. I was going to ask for gas but he made it sound like this one should be an easy one to get out so I let him do local. Ten minutes later he started, two minutes later he was done and it was out...no pain only a little bit of discomfort hearing the sound of the tooth coming loose.

He gave me a prescription for antibiotics and one for painkillers. My pharmacist took 90 minutes to fill my prescriptions and then told me my insurance didn't cover the pain med. I opted to leave it there and just took 3 ibuprofen when I came home...no pain after that. I kept gauze in my mouth for about six hours but there wasn't a lot of bleeding at all. Kept ice on the outside of my jaw for a couple days so there was no swelling. I asked the dentist about sodas and he said there was absolutely no problem with it. They gave me a complete rundown about the do's and don't of dry sockets and I've had no problem with that. I'm drinking from straws now and eating like normal although I still favor my other jaw for safety's sake.

I was more than pleased with my experience although I'm sure there are plenty of more difficult extractions that might prove more painful.

Michael

rocketsauce
06-02-06, 06:08 PM
I hate you right now.

eedoon
06-03-06, 03:56 AM
From what I know, you can drink whatever you want, just don't use straw like everybody else said. Also don't drink hot beverage at least 24 hour after extraction, and don't rinse your mouth with mouthwash.

I got my lower right wisdom teeth extracted earlier this week too, so I'm with you buddy. Just for precautions, I haven't drink soda and coffee for two days.

rocketsauce
06-03-06, 10:46 AM
i have so far only drank water too. oh and some orchata my wife got me. i smoke and i know it's a big no no to do it, but can anyone tell me when i can? the sheet my doc gave me said not to use a straw for 24 hours after, so is it only 24 for cigs too? It's not a huge deal, my fear of dry sockets overcomes my need to smoke, i was just curious.

mikehunt
06-03-06, 11:27 AM
I had mine done on a thrusday morning
all 4, 2 they had to crack in half to remove
I ate prime rib on saturday night (just did all my chewing with my front teeth)
I think I was back to drinking pop and other normal stuff by friday, not even sure if on thursday I watched what I drank

main thing is to take your meds exactly on schedule so the new does starts to kick in before the old one wears off
I did that, plus when I first got home I replaced the gauze pads they wanted me to bite on with tea bags (mom had read somewhere about that) and I put ice around my jaw. bleeding stopped quickly and I didn't swell up and was never in pain. sometimes I was uncomfortable but it was never actual pain

TheGuy
06-03-06, 11:35 AM

To bad Edgar is dead, he could open up new sockets for you right away!

rocketsauce
06-03-06, 12:23 PM
I had mine done on a thrusday morning
all 4, 2 they had to crack in half to remove
I ate prime rib on saturday night (just did all my chewing with my front teeth)
I think I was back to drinking pop and other normal stuff by friday, not even sure if on thursday I watched what I drank

i only had the bottom two but they had to crack them in like 4-5 pieces. IT WAS FUN!

HistoryProf
06-03-06, 12:35 PM
when i had mine out i had the same problem with the lowers...but i was out cold - it was the only way i'd do it, and they happily obliged me. it was a miserable experience all around, and i ended up with dry sockets on the bottom despite doing everything i was supposed to to a T. i couldn't eat solid food for days....and then walked around with medicated gauze strips shoved down teh sockets for another two weeks.

good times.

rocketsauce
06-03-06, 01:32 PM
shitty, so far im doing good. bleeding stopped shortly after the surgery. following all the directions. im just wondering when i can smoke again?

Quake1028
06-03-06, 03:12 PM
shitty, so far im doing good. bleeding stopped shortly after the surgery. following all the directions. im just wondering when i can smoke again?

Take this opportunity to quit?

rocketsauce
06-03-06, 05:11 PM
yeah thought crossed my mind. But cold turkey isn't a dish i enjoy. I have a very addictive personality, i've been looking into zyban. It's not like i have to have one though, i was wondering more not out of me fiending for one but just factual so i am better safe than sorry. Is it more that you can't smoke because of the vacuum effect in your mouth or just the smoke itself?

Quake1028
06-03-06, 05:49 PM
yeah thought crossed my mind. But cold turkey isn't a dish i enjoy. I have a very addictive personality, i've been looking into zyban. It's not like i have to have one though, i was wondering more not out of me fiending for one but just factual so i am better safe than sorry. Is it more that you can't smoke because of the vacuum effect in your mouth or just the smoke itself?

The sucking, the same reason you can't use a straw.

rocketsauce
06-03-06, 06:46 PM
the sheet my doc gave me said that you couldn't use a straw for just 24 hrs after. seems a little low to me?

mikehunt
06-03-06, 07:52 PM
i only had the bottom two but they had to crack them in like 4-5 pieces. IT WAS FUN!

did you keep them?

800KB pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/wisdomteeth1.jpg

rocketsauce
06-03-06, 08:38 PM
no he didn't offer, and i was too traumitized from my oral violation to think too. i wish i would have kept the roots though. he said my case was the hardest he had ever done bacause the end of my roots were in a corkscrew shape. he showed them to me when he finally got them out. I haven't seen too many in my life but just looking at them i could tell they were pretty fucked up!

mikehunt
06-03-06, 09:49 PM
I made sure to ask before they doped me up

rocketsauce
06-03-06, 10:37 PM
i always get jobbed, when i was a kid a broke my arm and forgot to ask for the cast with all the signatures on it.

eedoon
06-04-06, 12:38 AM
did you keep them?

800KB pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/wisdomteeth1.jpg

-eek- so thats what they do to me. I got mine cut in pieces too but I never got to see it because I want to go home so badly by the time the extraction is done.

Oh well. May be I'll ask when they did my left one.

rocketsauce
06-04-06, 03:39 AM
well a stitch just came out of one of them. is that supposed to happen the night after?

devynal
06-04-06, 11:21 AM
well a stitch just came out of one of them. is that supposed to happen the night after?

That is completely normal.

blondie752
08-18-09, 05:58 PM
I know as states before it says don't drink threw a straw. i got my teeth out yesterday. and i wanted to know if i could drink from a arrowhead water bottle. with a pop lid? it doesn't require much sucking. just a little. will i be okay? and why can't you eat solids for a few days?

NORML54601
08-18-09, 06:22 PM
I know as states before it says don't drink threw a straw. i got my teeth out yesterday. and i wanted to know if i could drink from a arrowhead water bottle. with a pop lid? it doesn't require much sucking. just a little. will i be okay? and why can't you eat solids for a few days?

as long as you squeze the bottle instead of sucking

mndtrp
08-18-09, 06:33 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, one of the stitches came out, and my mouth started spewing blood. This was around 4 AM on a Sunday morning, so it took quite a while to get a dentist who would take care of it for me. Good times.

jwc20292
04-05-12, 07:03 AM
Okay. So I'm 20 years old. Just had all 4 taken out about 3 days ago. With mine, I was awake the whole time. Didn't feel shit either. They gave me about 12 shots and i was completely numb within about 15 minutes. And then the whole surgery only took about 5 minutes after that.

RunBandoRun
04-05-12, 07:59 AM
Okay. So I'm 20 years old. Just had all 4 taken out about 3 days ago. With mine, I was awake the whole time. Didn't feel shit either. They gave me about 12 shots and i was completely numb within about 15 minutes. And then the whole surgery only took about 5 minutes after that.

Um, it took longer than five minutes to remove four teeth. :lol: But it's good that you had adequate anesthesia so that you didn't feel anything and it seemed to happen fast.

Michael Corvin
04-05-12, 08:37 AM
He only remembers 5 minutes. :)

Mrs.Ameretsu
04-11-12, 04:45 PM
I just got mine removed yesterday, I got general ani (when they put you under) I remember everything up untill just after being stabbed with the IV needle. I know if you are getting this done you are probably freakin out right now, dont. The worst part is the Nitro which smells really funny and may make you feel a little sick. The best thing you can do is keep yourself calm or you will feel very sick. I remember feeling very dizzy and tired and my vision blurred but to be honest, it didnt feel bad at all, I actually felt like I was high XD not that Ive ever been. I will warn you though, find some nice nurses because if you get stuck with the ones working through lunch they will not be very sympathetic. If you get put under you will be VERY loopy. I ended up bawling my eyes out because my boyfriend wasnt in the room with me and they wouldnt let me see him until I stopped crying, which made me cry more. I finally stopped, was wheeled out in a chair and got to see my boyfriend. He laughed when I started mumbling incoherently and I started bawling again (People react differently to the anitheisia and I reacted... well sadly lol) The nurse was a jerk though and said "Stop that, now your just crying on purpose." -.- So yeah make sure you have nice nurses because I started bawling harder and then starting cussing her and my driver out because he was late X) So make sure you A. Have someone reliable to pick you up and B.Dont sign up for a 12 noon appointment.

LurkerDan
04-11-12, 05:19 PM
two new members with their very first posts in Otter, on a thread about wisdom teeth, 5 days apart?

bcd
04-11-12, 06:46 PM
And a 2 and 1/2 year bump to boot! For some reason I find this endlessly fascinating, especially on a DVD website.

And upon further examination post #52 was apparently the one and only post that Blondie752 made, and that was to resurrect a 3 year old thread.

Funkpie
04-12-12, 09:32 AM
Getting all 4 of mine out next Friday (I'm 33). Going to do oral sedation, rather than full on anesthesia. Looking forward to the drugs.

Seven%Solution
04-12-12, 01:15 PM
Yeesh. Shouldn't have read this. Having mine taken out this summer.

VinVega
04-12-12, 02:55 PM
two new members with their very first posts in Otter, on a thread about wisdom teeth, 5 days apart?
Different IP addresses. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. This is a fascinating topic...obviously. ;)