Ubisoft announces Revolution title

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ubisoft announces Revolution title

UBISOFT UNVEILS EXCLUSIVE NINTENDO REVOLUTION TITLE: RED STEEL™

First-Person Action Title to Debut at E3 2006

SAN FRANCISCO – APRIL 11, 2006 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced the development of Red Steel™, an exclusive first-person action title for the Nintendo Revolution (working name of the new Nintendo platform). Red Steel is set in modern-day Japan. Players will master both the ancient art of the katana and the sophisticated technology of modern firearms taking advantage of the emotion and immersive gameplay possible only with the Revolution’s remarkable controller.

“We’re honored to announce this exciting new franchise and we’re confident that
Red Steel will be the must-have title for the Revolution when it launches,” said Serge Hascoet, chief creative officer at Ubisoft. “We have been working closely with Nintendo to take full advantage of the innovative controller to create a thrilling experience that can only exist on the Revolution.”

Red Steel will make its worldwide debut in May 2006 at E3 in Los Angeles. With the style and flair of a contemporary action movie, Red Steel will appeal to gamers who thirst for a new video game experience, as well as those who may have not previously considered picking up a controller.

“Nintendo is excited to have Ubisoft bring Red Steel to the Revolution launch lineup,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, executive vice president of sales and marketing at Nintendo of America. “Ubisoft makes some of the most innovative and critically acclaimed games in the industry and from what we have seen from Red Steel it is going to be a standout exclusive title on the Revolution.”

Ubisoft has a strong history of creating some of the industry’s top-selling video game franchises. To date, the Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® and Rayman® franchises have each sold more than 15 million units worldwide and the Prince of Persia® franchise alone has sold more than eight million units worldwide. The Red Steel brand will reflect this expertise and build upon Ubisoft’s past to invigorate the future experience allowed within the Revolution platform.

Ubisoft will disclose more specific information on Red Steel in the coming months and Nintendo will reveal more information about the Revolution and its unique controller at E3.

For more information on Ubisoft's Red Steel, check out the worldwide exclusive article in the May issue of Game Informer Magazine.
Old 04-11-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's in the Revolution thread, but worth talking about in its own right...

Old 04-11-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I'm not terribly into the whole FPS genre, especially with new franchises, I'm certainly interested in giving this ago. If for no other reason than it is the first (unless MP3 hits at launch ). Definitely looking forward to E3 to hear impressions on this and others.
Old 04-11-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, E3 is going to be an important event. Thankfully Videogametalk will have it's own lacky there covering it
Old 04-11-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't dislike FPS games but feel it's a tired genre.. if there's more of an adventure element to it, giving the single-player mode some substance and it's not YET AGAIN another World-War II or covert-ops setting I'd be willing to give it a try based on the controller interaction.
Old 04-11-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^ well the article does say...

an exclusive first-person action title
vs. FPS, so you never know. Hopefully it will be more like the direction Metroid has taken.

“We have been working closely with Nintendo to take full advantage of the innovative controller to create a thrilling experience that can only exist on the Revolution.”
Hopefully this is true with many studios. Nintendo has always guarded how they perfect their first party titles, I don't think they have that luxury this generation. They are going to need all the AAA titles they can get, not just the in-house ones. They need to open the floodgates of information to ALL the developers not just a few, leaving others to dangle and figure out the system on their own. That is how they will lose 3rd parties.
Old 04-11-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Namco, Capcom, Konami, Midway, Treasure, sega, ubisoft, Activision, Rockstar, Square & Enix, EA, Sammy (Possible, Tecmo, Rare, Taito, SNK Playmore). That's all i can remembered.
Old 04-11-06, 04:33 PM
tpc

I think in the end, this is the prototype for much of what we'll see on the Revolution. I'm excited for this one simply because it'll be the first.
Old 04-11-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like old school light gun games but can't stand any first person shooters. This title does interest me though because it basically replaces the clunky aiming of an analog stick with a light gun courtesy of the Revolution controller.
Old 04-11-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I don't dislike FPS games but feel it's a tired genre.. if there's more of an adventure element to it, giving the single-player mode some substance and it's not YET AGAIN another World-War II or covert-ops setting I'd be willing to give it a try based on the controller interaction.
I read it was set in modern Japan and requires the player to use both guns and swords:

"Red Steel is set in modern-day Japan. Players will master both the ancient art of the katana and the sophisticated technology of modern firearms taking advantage of the emotion and immersive gameplay possible only with the Revolution's remarkable controller," reads the description for the game. "With the style and flair of a contemporary action movie, Red Steel will appeal to gamers who thirst for a new video game experience, as well as those who may have not previously considered picking up a controller."
Old 04-12-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does seem a bit funny that the first Revolution title announced will probably have an "M" rating........
Old 04-12-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JaxComet
It does seem a bit funny that the first Revolution title announced will probably have an "M" rating........
Its not the first title announced, its the first to have its screens revealed.
Old 04-12-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Its not the first title announced, its the first to have its screens revealed.
What else has been announced? In detail I mean.........