Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 headset echo echo echo...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox 360 headset echo echo echo...

So any time I try to use my heaset with Live on my 360 I get people saying they are getting a major echo.
I had a second headset and same thing with that one and tried both in both my controllers.
So ever since I have never tried the headset again. Now, when I don't have my headset plugged in I get the voice chatter coming through my speakers. In the Xbox settings I have it set for chat to ONLY come over headset. Does this setting hold true only when headset is plugged in or at all times?
I am assuming that the echo is coming from the fact that the chat is still coming through my speakers, into my mic, back out the speakers, etc.
Anyone have a solution for this or know what the cause is for sure? Am I missing something here?
I have the optical cable running from the 360 into my receiver and out to a 5.1 system.
Thanks for any help
Jamie

Gamertag: Jamieson22
Old 04-10-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well really it is up to the game where the other players’ voices come through, though in your setting in the guide if you have it set to headset only that is supposed to be the default choice. A few things could cause feed back; one is if the volume on the headset is too high in the guide, interference with the signal if you're using a wireless control. Also if the line for the network isn't clean this can cause problems with voice I’m talking about the LAN cables. feed back can also happen with gaming if there is an ever so slight delay with your network connection like out of sync when you TiVo something and the sound doesn't match up with the picture. this is more common on wireless connections, but can happen on wired depending on router configuration and connection speed etc. also does the echo happen on the old Xbox 1 games? or just the 360 games? if it happens on both then you know you've got a crappy head set or the controller deal is messed up where you head set plugs into. also does this happen during chat while you’re just in the dashboard? there’s a lot of things to check out I’m not sure where you'd start, I usually start with the network hardware and configuration settings on that stuff first and then work my way to the hardware part of the 360. But when I’ve had 360 problems with online gaming it’s usually been due to a messed up internet connection. Just some crap to think about sorry can’t be much more help.
Old 04-10-06, 06:48 PM

I did some research (Google) and noticed the advice to clean the headset contacts. Will try that next time I use the headset. Just odd that the headsets were both brand new from the bag and I was using controllers that were only a month or so old.
Have not tried to use it in anything but Burnout but several groups of players commented on the echo and pinned it on me.
Will try some other options and see if I can solve this as it would come in handy to have working headsets. Never tried it in old Live so can't say if it worked any better.
My Xbox is connected to a Netgear WRT54G router using the wireles 360 adapter. All Xbox network tests pass as well.
Does anyone know if setting chat to ONLY come through headset will still broadcast it over speakers when the headset is not plugged in? That is how mine is.
Jamie
Old 04-10-06, 07:56 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The echo is most likely caused by high latency on your network connection.

Also, Linksys makes the WRT54G, not Netgear. Or, did you type an incorrect model number?
Old 04-11-06, 09:17 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try unplugging/plugging your headset a few times when experiencing echo. it might help, it did with the old Xbox. Also make sure your mic is not too close to the earpieces.
Old 04-11-06, 10:18 AM

I tried the plug/unplug thing last time when it was driving me nuts. I'll give it another shot next time.
As for latency, you think it would be on my network or on the DSL connection to the network? If that is the case there probably isn't much of a solution, is there?
And I meant Linksys, just used to Netgear since I just replaced a WGT624.
Jamie
Old 04-11-06, 07:59 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jamieson22
As for latency, you think it would be on my network or on the DSL connection to the network? If that is the case there probably isn't much of a solution, is there?
Could be either... If you hardwire the 360 to your router and it still happens, it is probably your DSL. You aren't downloading etc. on your PC while on Live are you?