DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disney to offer popular TV shows on web for free

Wow.

Disney Television Plunges
Into Web Transmission

By JOSEPH SCHUMAN
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE

ABC and its corporate brethren are taking the vanguard in television networks' evolving efforts to tame the Internet for program distribution while also harnessing its potential for advertising revenue.

Walt Disney plans to make much of its newest and most popular programming on ABC and other channels available free anytime on the Web, in a move that could accelerate the transformation of television viewing habits, The Wall Street Journal reports. At the end of this month, ABC will unveil a revamped Web site that will include a "theater" where people with broadband connections can watch free episodes of "Desperate Housewives," "Lost" and other hit shows on their computers. Episodes will be available the morning after they air and will be archived so people can eventually view a whole season. A Disney Channel version with five shows will start in June, and an ABC Family version is also planned. Disney's Soapnet cable channel will start offering programs free on its Web site, Soapnetic, on April 17, the Journal says.

And the shows -- which can be paused, rewound and fast-forwarded -- will contain commercial breaks that viewers can't skip, making Disney hopeful it has figured out a way to turn the delivery of programs over the Web into a profit-generating business. Ten advertisers, including Ford Motor, Procter & Gamble, Universal Pictures and Unilever, already have signed up, the Journal reports. New research from the Online Publishers Association and Frank N. Magid Associates, and reported by Advertising Age, suggests that while many consumers aren't aware that video exists on the Internet, the number of video watchers is growing, and those who do watch are very engaged with advertising. Moreover, the study results suggest that consumers are engaging the ads they encounter in online video advertisements, Ad Age says. Some 40% of video viewers -- among the 1,241 Internet users ages 12 to 64 who were surveyed -- have clicked on an accompanying link or visited a Web site mentioned in the video.

Until now, networks have brokered limited piecemeal deals in a bid to keep business partners happy and their traditional business models intact, the Journal notes, but Disney had already emerged as a leader of in digital media, becoming the first to offer broadcast and cable shows for download on iPods through a deal with Apple Computer. Apple is unlikely to feel much of a threat from the new Disney plans because consumers won't be able to download the free programs onto portable devices, but the offering of so much content online will probably ruffle some feathers. ABC affiliates, long accustomed to exclusive broadcast rights to new shows, are already griping that they don't profit from the network's deal with Apple. It could also fuel a fight with Hollywood unions, which are starting to talk strike over how artists are compensated as the networks' business models evolve. And other networks and studios with more conservative philosophies about opening their film and TV vaults might feel pressured to emulate Disney.
Old 04-10-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How soon before the cable/satellite companies start getting a little nervous that anybody with broadband might not need them anymore?
Old 04-10-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Walt Disney Co. said Monday said its TV group plans to offer four ABC prime-time shows including "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" online for free beginning in May.

The offerings will also include current episodes of "Commander in Chief," as well as the entire season of "Alias," and will be available through June.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060410/...sney_abc_shows
Old 04-10-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very interesting. Is this a bug FU to Apple and its iTunes store? Granted there are differences (commercials, watching online, etc), but I wouldn't pay money to see something that I can watch for free online (though I am in Canada and can't download shows through iTunes). I hope that I will be able to stream on ABC.

I have yet to see any Alias this year and I was waiting for the full season to be out on DVD because of all the delays, but this will let me see it sooner.
Old 04-10-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not interested in being forced to watch commercials, but thanks for the effort, Disney.
Old 04-10-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
Very interesting. Is this a bug FU to Apple and its iTunes store? Granted there are differences (commercials, watching online, etc), but I wouldn't pay money to see something that I can watch for free online (though I am in Canada and can't download shows through iTunes). I hope that I will be able to stream on ABC.

I have yet to see any Alias this year and I was waiting for the full season to be out on DVD because of all the delays, but this will let me see it sooner.
Considering Jobs will soon be the largest shareholder of Disney, I don't think so.
Old 04-10-06, 11:22 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Very interesting. Is this a bug FU to Apple and its iTunes store? Granted there are differences (commercials, watching online, etc), but I wouldn't pay money to see something that I can watch for free online (though I am in Canada and can't download shows through iTunes).
I see this as further proof that Apple offering shows on iTunes is strictly a project for supporting their iPod hardware and that any other usage of the videos is secondary in their minds. Sure, you can watch them on your computer as well, but that's not their primary concern.
Old 04-10-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot about Jobs controlling ABC soon.

So this will only be free for two months?

Disney to make TV shows available free on Web
By Michele Gershberg and Kenneth Li 50 minutes ago

NEW YORK/ATLANTA (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co.'s ABC television network will offer some of its most popular shows, such as "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost," for free on the Internet in a two-month trial, the company said on Monday.

<rest of article cut since it is basically the same as the original one above>
Old 04-10-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure there is a market for both types of product. I will occasionally take shows on my creative zen vision m and watch them during breaks between classes. I'd also watch shows on my computer (or tv, depending on resolution) if that was offered as well.
Old 04-10-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
I think this is a really good idea. I can definitely see myself taking advantage of the service if I happen to miss an ep. It sucks that commercials are forced, but I can definitely overlook it for a free service.
Old 04-10-06, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I'm not interested in being forced to watch commercials, but thanks for the effort, Disney.

Hey, you can't get everything you want for free! Someone has to pay my salary!

Chris
Old 05-01-06, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Some Free full length ABC shows on ABC.com (with commercials)

I checked this out tonight. These shows are from this season only. It's available from May 1-June 30th. It's streaming video, so you won't need to wait for a long download.

Shows available:
Alias
Commander in Chief
Desperate Housewives
Lost

As of today, only Alias has every episode available.
Old 05-01-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Linky: http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing
Old 05-01-06, 08:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Hopefully other networks follow suit.
Old 05-01-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is awesome! Now only if they added "Grey's Anatomy" and the WB (or should I say CW) adopted this!
Old 05-02-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually watched this week's Desperate Housewives episode online from ABC's site. It worked really well, and the "commericals" were fewer that the broadcast episode and only took between 20 and 30 seconds each break. Certainly a decent way to catch a missed episode IMO.
Old 05-02-06, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I actually watched this week's Desperate Housewives episode online from ABC's site. It worked really well, and the "commericals" were fewer that the broadcast episode and only took between 20 and 30 seconds each break. Certainly a decent way to catch a missed episode IMO.
I did the same and plan on watching this online going forward (since my Sunday's are jam-packed as it is).
Old 05-02-06, 08:26 AM

Anyone know of a way of spoofing the site into thinking your in the US? lol
Old 05-02-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I did the same and plan on watching this online going forward (since my Sunday's are jam-packed as it is).
I just thought of something... was that the "high-def" version of the episode?
Old 05-02-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really need this for Grey's Anatomy
Old 05-02-06, 09:26 AM

I'm impressed at the quality for being streaming video!

GO ABC!!!
Old 05-02-06, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I just thought of something... was that the "high-def" version of the episode?
If not, it sure was awfully damn close.
Old 05-02-06, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Very cool, but is there a full screen option? I couldn't find one.
Old 05-02-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuicycoDave
Anyone know of a way of spoofing the site into thinking your in the US? lol
I am having the same issues. These episodes are only available to the US, as expected.

You can try using proxy servers from the US, which is what I did, but depending on location and connections, it can be dreadfully slow.
Old 05-03-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Whatever happened with this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.