Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

UMD Mini for PSP? (What is this?)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-10-06, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UMD Mini for PSP? Is this those small DVD's that are out now? What are those smaller DVD's called? If this is the way they are going to be going in the future I was wondering if I should start buying this size DVD. Thanks to those that answer...
Old 04-10-06, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
UMD as a movie format has not taken off and if anything its probably dead unless Sony can find a way to revive it.

UMD is simply the disc format used for the PSP. Its a 1.8 GB disc that can hold games, music or movies. Sony tried to launch UMD as a viable portable movie format, but the discs were too expensive and the audience was limited to only PSP owners.

If Sony was smart they would relaunch the format with $10 UMD movies and cheap portable players that played movies and music UMDs only. They could also garner a lot of interest if they started selling UMD-RWs and recorders for our PCs, but they are too frightened of piracy to do it.

BTW, UMD movies are the same resolution as standard DVD, but compressed with the H.264 codec allowing a full movie to fit on a 1.8GB disc at that resolution.
Old 04-10-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't see how they expected this to be a success. Even at $10, who wants to buy a movie that they have to watch on that tiny screen? Just buy a portable DVD player and a CD wallet.

Looking at the trends around here, the PSP on a whole has been a huge failure. I don't know how the games are selling elsewhere, but they just sit on the shelf at the local GameStop / EB Games stores.
Old 04-10-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I agree. I think portable dvd players have killed any chance of UMD's to be successful.