Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Mr. Arkadin"...will I like it if...i loved "The Third Man" ?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 04:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i loved "The Third Man" ?

this seems like an interesting Criterion coming out. 3 versions, none of them the definitive. is the movie comprehensible and not just a mish-mash of scenes edited together?

just want to see if it warrants a purchase.
Old 04-06-06, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i loved "The Third Man" ?

this seems like an interesting Criterion coming out. 3 versions, none of them the definitive. is the movie comprehensible and not just a mish-mash of scenes edited together?

just want to see if it warrants a purchase.
The movie is comprehensible, but it's hard to say whether you'll like it or not. It's not much like The Third Man -- it has certain noir elements, but it's a globe-trotting thriller (sort of a precursor to the spy movies of the 1960s). In some ways, I guess a closer comparison would be other Welles mysteries/thrillers, so do you like The Stranger or Lady from Shanghai? Even then, I know some people who like those two films but don't like this one. Personally, I find it highly enjoyable, but don't go in expecting a deep, existential thriller.

I don't have it yet, but the Criterion promises to be an amazing package for people interested in Orson Welles' career or the vagaries of international movie-making.
Old 04-06-06, 09:40 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ambassador
In some ways, I guess a closer comparison would be other Welles mysteries/thrillers, so do you like The Stranger or Lady from Shanghai?
I'll second this question. Consider your love for the "lesser" Welles films. If you dig those, you'll go nuts for Arkadin.

Arkadin's such a peculiar film that I can understand why others wouldn't like it - but I simply adore the film, and the set made me admire it all the more. I would suggest renting, if possible, disc two ("Confidential Report"), and if you like what you see, go for it. The DVD set itself is one of the very best box sets I've ever seen, with fantastic transfers and more extras than you could ever possibly need.

But to answer your other question: it is both comprehensible and a mish-mash.
Old 04-11-06, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by David Cornelius
I'll second this question. Consider your love for the "lesser" Welles films. If you dig those, you'll go nuts for Arkadin.

Arkadin's such a peculiar film that I can understand why others wouldn't like it - but I simply adore the film, and the set made me admire it all the more. I would suggest renting, if possible, disc two ("Confidential Report"), and if you like what you see, go for it. The DVD set itself is one of the very best box sets I've ever seen, with fantastic transfers and more extras than you could ever possibly need.

But to answer your other question: it is both comprehensible and a mish-mash.
i haven't seen those and can't rent. i'm so undecided if to buy as renting is not an option. i loved tm and ck, but that is my only real exposure. help!!
Old 04-11-06, 05:29 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

OK, how about this: How interested are you in Welles? Because if you drop fifty bucks on this set and wind up only moderately liking the movie, you still have in your possession an excellent account of a most interesting point in Welles' career. The extras all help increase one's knowledge (and admiration) of the filmmaker. (Plus, it's one of his most intriguing movies, one that can be used to help form your opinion of his other works.)

On the other hand, if you're not that into the guy, the overkill will wear pretty thin for you.

On the other other hand, you did show an interest in his two most famous roles, so perhaps you're headed toward wanting more.

Hope that helps a little.

(Another idea: pick up Touch of Evil. It's cheaper, it's brilliant, and if you like it, you might want more of Welles...)

Last edited by David Cornelius; 04-11-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
(Another idea: pick up Touch of Evil. It's cheaper, it's brilliant, and if you like it, you might want more of Welles...)
I haven't seen Touch of Evil, but I second the concept of purchasing a less-expensive, more widely known and acclaimed title first. Make sure you like his style of storytelling thoroughly and then make the plunge into a Criterion - a higher-higher tiered Criterion at that.
Old 04-11-06, 06:17 PM

OK, how about this: How interested are you in Welles? Because if you drop fifty bucks on this set and wind up only moderately liking the movie, you still have in your possession an excellent account of a most interesting point in Welles' career. The extras all help increase one's knowledge (and admiration) of the filmmaker. (Plus, it's one of his most intriguing movies, one that can be used to help form your opinion of his other works.)

On the other hand, if you're not that into the guy, the overkill will wear pretty thin for you.

On the other other hand, you did show an interest in his two most famous roles, so perhaps you're headed toward wanting more.

Hope that helps a little.

i do like welles. i am becoming more and more intrigued by his life and works. i started with "RKO 281", then CK, then TM. those are some great ideas about ToE and perhaps look tomorrow. i just think this Criterion edition will be one of the rarer considering all the stuff involved and don't want to miss out, ya know? but thanks to all for all the great stuff.
Old 04-12-06, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TCM wil be airing the "Corinth" version I believe on April 28 at 4:15 AM...
Old 04-12-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDSavant review - http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21095
Old 04-12-06, 12:14 PM

good call on ToE...picked it up for a cool $10 at Tower. hopefully, will watch this weekend. tell me something...the fat guy on the cover is Welles? i have seen him fat, but that doesn't look like him at all.
Old 04-12-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up ToE and Mr. Arkadin from DDD after reading a few threads. (9.48 and 27.47 respectively) So..thanks to all the Welles fans.

My question now is, how should I watch the 3 versions of Mr. Arkadin? Start with the widely released version? The one stated to be "close to Welles' vision" version? Etc.
Old 04-12-06, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
I picked up ToE and Mr. Arkadin from DDD after reading a few threads. (9.48 and 27.47 respectively) So..thanks to all the Welles fans.

My question now is, how should I watch the 3 versions of Mr. Arkadin? Start with the widely released version? The one stated to be "close to Welles' vision" version? Etc.
check DVD Talk also where the same question is posted. most say the "Comprehensive" version. but i would like opinions here as well...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461928

i mean are the others unwatchable? i assume and hope not or what would be the point of release. or is it more like the "Dawn of the Dead" UE release?

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-12-06 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-12-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

scott1598 - I've never seen Mr. Arkadin but I pre-ordered it based on Welles' other films that I have seen (and loved). I'll third the you need to watch some other Welles films before taking the plunge. I'll also recommend The Stranger and Lady From Shanghai... F for Fake is also a brilliant film, but it's another CC, so $$.

Let us know what you thought of Touch of Evil... Myself, it's my least favorite Welles film, it took me two viewings to even make it to the end and I LOVE film noir / Welles. You may or may not like it.
Old 04-12-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't really give Touch of Evil much of a chance due to the ridiculous nature of using Charlton Heston as a......Mexican. Sorry, that does not work for me. Not in a serious film anyway. And since he's the main character, that's a hard detail to get around.
Old 04-12-06, 09:28 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by BassDude
If you plan on watching all three in a relatively short amount of time, I'd just go in order, disc one, two, and then three. If you're planning on only watching one for now and saving the others for later, well... flip a coin. I prefer the Comprehensive Version, but I think appreciation of it may require seeing one of the others first. Confidential Report, perhaps?

Anyone else?
Old 04-16-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't really give Touch of Evil much of a chance due to the ridiculous nature of using Charlton Heston as a......Mexican
Do you also dismiss The Magnificent Seven and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for having Eli Wallach play Mexicans? How about Gunga Din for casting Sam Jaffe as an Indian?

Touch of Evil is a great movie (arguably Welles' best work after Kane), and dismissing it because of Heston is short-sighted.
Old 04-17-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Do you also dismiss The Magnificent Seven and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for having Eli Wallach play Mexicans? How about Gunga Din for casting Sam Jaffe as an Indian?

Touch of Evil is a great movie (arguably Welles' best work after Kane), and dismissing it because of Heston is short-sighted.
It's short-sighted to dismiss the movie entirely, but it is a valid criticism. Watching it in a modern context, Heston's ethnicity is very distracting. However, we just need to keep in mind that this movie was made in a different era of filmmaking, when such things were just the way movies were made.
Old 04-17-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey everyone, if your contemplating picking the CC up, Mr. Arkadin (supposedly the Confidential cut) will be on TCM at 4:15 a.m. (either wake up early, stay up late, or prepare the recording device of your choice) on April 29th. Mentioned here thanks to another DVD Talker. Thanks to the poster.
Old 04-17-06, 04:30 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Josh Z
It's short-sighted to dismiss the movie entirely, but it is a valid criticism. Watching it in a modern context, Heston's ethnicity is very distracting. However, we just need to keep in mind that this movie was made in a different era of filmmaking, when such things were just the way movies were made.
True, but... many other actors of the era were convincing playing alternate ethnicities. Heston, meanwhile, was so very, very not. Even taking it with a "oh, that's just the era" mindset, it still doesn't click.

Which, perhaps, is why the movie is so incredible - even with this major distraction, it's still a work of genius.
Old 05-06-06, 11:25 PM

The only Welles films that I've seen are F For Fake and Citizen Kane, both of which I really enjoyed... Would I like this?