Old 04-06-06, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UFC: Ultimate Fight Night 4 - Live SpikeTV 4/6/06

Will air for sure:
Stephan Bonnar vs Keith Jardine
Rashad Evans vs Sam Hoger
Joe Stevenson vs Josh Neer
Chris Leben vs Luigi Fioravanti

Will not, but probably shown on unleashed maybe the week after.
Luke Cummo vs Jason von Flue
Josh Burkman vs Jon Fitch
Josh Koscheck vs Ansar Chalangov
Brad Imes vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Trevor Prangley vs. Chael Sonnen

Not a blockbuster matchup within the bunch as they are just trying to build up the TUF fighters.

I was off with my predictions last time, but I think I'll do better this time.

- Bonnar by KO in 2nd round.
- Upset with Hogar by decision (will ground and pound Rashad pretty much the whole fight)
- Stevenson by decision (will be VERY close in a boring fight)
- Leban by KO in the 2nd
- Flue in a minor upset over Cummo
- Burkman 1st round KO
- Koscheck by decision in a boring fight
- Imes KO 1
- Prangley by decision in a close boring fight

TUF 3 follows right after!

Don't forget the remaining bushido bouts not shown on the PPV monday.
FOX Sports Net on Tuesday announced three PRIDE Bushido bouts that will air exclusively across its regional stations April 9 at 9 p.m. local.

American Yves Edwards takes to the ring against Seichi Ikemoto. Denis Kang confronts Mark Weir. And the "New York Badass" Phil Baroni laces them up to face Yuki Kondo.
Old 04-06-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree for the most part, except I think Stevenson is going to kill Neer in a KO. Not a bad lineup for free, I'm not a big Evans fan but I wouldn't be upset if Hoger suffered a career-ending injury... God I hate that asshole.
Old 04-06-06, 06:43 PM

Early results from the non television bouts:

Spoiler:

Trevor Prangley vs. Chael Sonnen

Sonne dominated the fight on the ground to score a 30-27 decision on all 3 judges. A huge blow to the career of Prangley, who should have done better with his wrestling background. Minor Upset.

Josh Koscheck vs. Ansar Chalangov

R1
Neither Koscheck nor Chalangov landed a strike of substance during their short bout. Koscheck shot a takedown after a couple flailing exchanges and was almost guillotined except he had an arm inside the choke. After a scramble, Koscheck got the Russian's back and, with only one hook in, secured the rear-naked choke to win by tapout 3:29 of round one.

Dan Christison (Pictures) vs Brad Imes (Pictures)

Round 3
The final round begins with an Imes' takedown. Twice Christison went for armbars to the wrong side. He's active from his back, however. Now Christison reverses position and is standing over Imes, who's prone on his back. The two meet again as Christison dives in, but Imes shucks him off and they return to the feet. After a scramble Imes nestled back into Christison's guard. From the bottom Imes get caught in an armbar. After some struggling the New Mexico-based heavyweight straightens the arm. He cranks on it until Imes is forced to tap. Big win for the late-replacement Christison.

Another minor upset.

Jon Fitch vs Josh Burkman

R1
Opening minute the two clinched along the fence. Mazzagatti separated the two and Fitch counters with a right to the body and a left to the jaw. Fitch pounced and they scrambled along the fence. Burkman recovered well but Fitch landed a single-leg takedown and controlled the remainder of the period.

R2
Fitch took Burkman down and pounded on him from the guard to start round two. Burkman worked his way back up to the feet but Fitch landed a right kick to the body and a straight left before tossing his opponent to the floor. Fitch got his back after a scramble and the AKA-trained wrestler finished the fight there.

Another upset and UFC has to be PISSED off right now. They wanted to build Burkman up after his 2 wins on PPV that were shown and he called out Diego. All the UFC guys are looking like cans right now.

Everybody predicted this would be fight of the night and it sure sounded like it. It's a damn shame they didn't put this on TV rather than the dull Stevenson fight that will be on.

Jason von Flue vs. Luke Cummo

R1
First two minute was spent along the cage. Cummo used a nifty foot sweep to put Von Flue in the 1/2 guard. A left elbow opened a huge gash in the middle of Von Flue's forehead. Doctors checked it w/40 seconds left and they allowed him to continue. The cut is bad and could impact Von Flue the rest of the fight.

R2
In round two, Von Flue scored the first salvo, landing a takedown at the 3:45 mark. Passing to side-control, Von Flue went for the same choke he finished Alex Karalexis with. But Cummo slipped out. With two minutes left Cummo stuffs a takedown and gets bodylock control from behind. The two have rolled on the mat for over a minute. Luke tries to find a choke, but he can't find it. The New Yorker has punished Von Flue through two rounds and just won a dominant round. The cut on Von Flue runs from his hairline to forehead and is about an inch and a half long.

R3
Third round saw Luke keep Von Flue away with low kicks and crisp combinations. Each time they clinch Luke prevented the takedown. The five-minute period fought solely on the feet. After five more minutes the fighters are covered in Von Flue's blood. After three rounds Cummo scored a unanimous decision victory.

Last edited by xx2000xx; 04-06-06 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 07:38 PM

Nice promo by Bonner to start the show (who btw, beat Forrest in that fight 2 rounds to 1).

They are still at the Hard Rock which is about as big as a High School gym. Once they get their license lifted out of some big states they need to move it there so it doesn't look like some 2nd rate promotion.

Here we go, no bullshit just straight to the fights, I like it. I guess they aren't doing challenges this year for TUF also, which is a ++ in my book.

Chris Leben vs Luigi Fioravanti is up.

Leben knows there has been upsets tonight and the pressure is REALLY on him right now cause I know UFC is not happy with the non-televised bouts.

Round one: Just some little muay thai action, nothing really big, no explosiveness what so ever. The only thing I was thinking about while watching this round was Rich Franklin. My fucken god, he is at a level 10x times than this.

Round two: are they fighting in slow motion??? Leban is doing MMA full time now w/o a job and he's working like this? He's losing a lot of steam within his marketability with this, he beat Cote/Rivera which were top level guys, and he's working like shit here. I wouldn't be suprised if he was sick or something because this isn't like him.

Round three: Same old, there has not been a knock out punch even attempted this whole fight. Ouch, what a boring fight and that's not like Leben either. We'll never see Luigi ever again on UFC or Pride again in our lifetime.

They need to finally match up Leben vs Mike Swick again (Leben won the first battle) and then after that throw the winner in the mix, but not title shot, 185 is weak right now in the UFC. I guess we have Nathan Marquette next in line but after that, I still feel David Loiseau is as good in the bunch, it just shows what a lack of talent UFC has in all the divisions but welterweight. After Leben destroyed Cote/Rivera I thought he was ready, but after this, I don't know.

MMA is a tricky sport, anybody can pretty much beat anybody in a fight on a given day, it's not like boxing where if you have higher skill you'll have 85% chance to beat the other guy. That's why Fedor Emilienko is considered the best now and probably ever in MMA cause he shows up and beats everybody in his path. People thought that of Gomi too, but of course he has holes in his game which were evident in his last fight but Fedor is a Man against boys in the world of MMA.

Rogan interviews Shamrock with maybe 5 to 6 people cheering, my god, up in Seattle there are shows that has nobody's that fought yet they sold out 5,000 people. This is just absured. In San Jose they had 14,000 people sold out, and they will sell out the staple center in LA too. It just boggles my mind that they have this show here on the venue where it looks 3rd rate.

Neer vs Stevenson

Before the fight starts, i'm going to say this, Neer is a bad ass. This WILL NOT be a dominate fight. I was on the fence with this, but I'll give it to Stevenson 2 rounds to 1 with a boring ground and pound fight, Stevenson is like Diego, a great great wrestler with ground and pound.

Round one: Beautiful stuff, leg work is a lost art in MMA now. Although Neer isn't that good on the ground, his leg could have been broken easily there, he just needed to push off with his other leg on Joe's butt to break free, why Joe gave that up blows my mind. They are focused on elbows, which UFC should ban right away, and go with Pride rules. Elbows just open up cuts and people will just sit in guard or half guard to throw them, there was soooo many opportunites to throw knees on the guard and foot stomps. Anyways, Joe won that round due to the submission attempts.

Round two: Rachel Leah is hot. Neer is destroying him right now. Entertaining round so far.

Round three: whoever wins this, wins the fight. Why they put Neer with Stevenson if they want to build him up blows my mind, especially if all their TUF fighters are dropping life flys.

Bam, Steve got rocked. Neer won that round for sure. Again, another upset tonight.

Point is this, the reason why there are tons of upsets tonight with the TUF fighters is because if it wasn't for that show, most people would have never heard of them. Now you know, like hardcore fans did, they aren't all that good, it's not like WWE where you can build people up. The joke is ALL on UFC right now, cause of course they want their fighters to win, to build them up so they can throw them on their PPV later on, well Joe Sylvia (the match maker) didn't do his job, first off like I said, how they can throw Neer with Joe is mindboggling, and case and point, he killed that TUF winner, and watch Sam Hoger beat the other winner in Evans.

For the people in the USA, who watch the TUF and watch the live shows you are missing out, only the hardcore people know of Pride. Pride is in Japan, and they have the best fighters in the world, UFC has Hughes/Arlovski/Liddel/St.Pierre/Franklin and had BJ Penn (but he's gone now). Other than that, as you'll see tonight, it's not deep, and the people they push aren't that good. But most casual viewers won't even know what the fuck pride is, and Dana wants that too. But wow, more than ever Pride is showing how good they are. And Dana even told Phil Baroni to retire too, what a joke, besides Rampage Jackson, he is the most marketable fighter out there and he said see ya, he's a superstar in Japan now.

Hoger the heel vs Evans

Round one: Boring round evans won, nothing big, he took him down and had a few solid strikes.

Round two: same shit. I honestly thought Hogar had better ground skills, but I'm dead wrong. My god, Hogar has the double leg takedown right there, he needs to take it to the ground then do the g&p. I'll say this now, because this is another boring fight, if Bonner doesn't literally knock the fuck out of Jardine this show will be a bust. Not the referee stoppage, but Bonner giving a knockout like wanderlai Silva vs Rampage or Franklin did Quarry.

Round 3: Hogar had the sub, but didn't win the round. Wow

Hogar won the fight, but BJ did with St. Peaire...... rounds what counts here folks, 2-1 Rashad won. But if they have the 2nd round to Hogar I wouldn't cry foul.

30-27 my fucken ass. How the judge didn't give Hogar the 2nd round blows my fucken mind, what in the fuck was he watching?!??!?! Don't put it past Dana working the card, cause of course they want Rashad to win that fight, but my god 30-27 is insane. Rashad won the first round for sure, Hogar won the 2nd for sure, 3rd was a toss up, both didn't do damage, but do you consider takedowns rashad a bigger advantage than submission attempts sam, there you go.

Under pride rules, Sam got that fight, I'll have to review it a bit and see who had the better strikes/damage as it was even to me, but oh well main event.

Main event: Bonnar won in a dissapointing fight night, ouch.

Last edited by xx2000xx; 04-06-06 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 08:15 PM

Wow, last 2 other Fight Nights there were people doing play-by-play with me, I find that kinda odd as MMA has grown much more than then.

It's probably thursday night which is a killer, i think there is survivor/black and white/ smallville/ the oc/ csi/ supernatural/ my name is earl/ the office ...... brutal night I guess.
Old 04-07-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, gotta say that I could not have been more wrong about Stevenson. Neer is a freaking ANIMAL, that leglock was sick. I can't believe he didn't tap.

And TUF3 was sweet. I like the real tension, but can't understand why they brought that Mike Stride guy into the contest with ZERO grappling/wrestling skills. I don't know who he could have beaten unless he was fighting another strictly boxer. Also gotta say that Tito came off very well and Shamrock was an ass, which I was completely respecting a reversal. Tito obviously puts on a good character to sell himself, but I thought he was a much stronger coach and team leader. Shamrock's borderline psychotic obsession with being "respected" is getting to be a synonym for narcissism. I also can't believe Shamrock took that Kristian guy so soon after both of them said he had no heart and quit on the drills, we had to miss something in editing.
Old 04-07-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xx2000xx
Pride is in Japan, and they have the best fighters in the world, UFC has Hughes/Arlovski/Liddel/St.Pierre/Franklin and had BJ Penn (but he's gone now).
Wait, why do you say BJ Penn is gone now? Did he quit again after his loss to GSP??? Maybe he's wearing his belt around town and mumbling that he's still champ, freaking loser.
Old 04-07-06, 02:05 PM

Neer and Rashad won me $300 last night. I'd like to thank the odds makers for making Neer a huge underdog when that was the most evenly matched fight of the night.

my thoughts: Imes is fucking terrible, Prangley and Burkman losing surprises me, Leben looked bored and lazy, Neer is pretty good, Stevenson is still good but tiny, Rashad looked awful, and Jardine got robbed. Pretty crappy night of fights.

BJ Penn is scheduled to fight in (i think) a K1 heros tournament. And since he lost to GSP, i doubt Dana White is too keen on keeping him around.
Old 04-07-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Missed this, but saw TUF. I'm sure Spike will repeat. I'm still not familiar with a lot of the names though.
Old 04-07-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was I imagining it or at the PPV where White announced they signed Penn he said it was a long term deal?
Old 04-07-06, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Was I imagining it or at the PPV where White announced they signed Penn he said it was a long term deal?

I'm pretty sure he has signed a multi fight deal.
The issue with the previous snafu was he wanted to fight in K-1 while still being a UFC champion. Dana didn't want that and they had the falling out.
The GSP fight was close enough that if he beats Hughes, Penn will probably still be in line for a rematch. If Hughes wins, it's natural they'll try to set up Penn/Hughes as well.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 04-07-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My post from the thread before this one..

The fights with Season 1 Vs Season 2 were pretty uneventful I thought, other then I was suprised that Joe Stevenson got beat so easily.

I thought the 3rd season 1st episode was pretty good. I like having Shamrock and Tito as the coaches, although looking at their different coaching styles it seems Tito is the much better of the two, although I don't like him as much as Shamrock. Shamrock doesn't seem to get to involved and I agree with the guys, what was he thinking bringing in the body builder dude. Shamrock looked like an @ss, but I like him, since I grew up a fan of his since UFC1, and agree Tito should at least respect what he's done for the sport, although Shamrock can't compete anymore.

I think Shamrock picked the better team, and having control is going to be huge. His dude last night killed that boxer, which was a terrible pick, because of his lack of wrestling. I can easily see Shamrock's team knocking off 3-4 guys before one loses.

I love this show.
Old 04-07-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The UFN fights were all pretty mediocre. Neer-Stevenson and Jardine-Bonnar were pretty good (Jardine was robbed, aside from being on the end of two flash knockdowns, Jardine controlled the entire fight). Leben-Fioravanti and Evans-Hogar were very lackluster. Evans scored takedowns he did nothing with and Hogar seemed unable to really take dominant commmand.

Absolutely loved the first episode of TUF3. No lame challenges. The fights are set-up so it is more tourney, elimination styled, everyone has to fight. I'll still only watch most of the eps after the 30 min mark because I only care about the fights not the "reality" drama.

Also, BJ Penn has not been "lost." He signed a three fight contract (Possibly with an open clause so he can fight elsewhere if he wants to, K-1's mma branch Hero's is apparently courting him for a tourney later this year.) His loss to St. Pierre (GSP) does put him in a weird state because his UFC plans were to fight Hughes again and then move to middleweight and fight Franklin, which all went out the window when he couldnt finish GSP. Knowing how fickle BJ is, he'd probably rather move on to something else rather than fight his way back up the ladder.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-07-06 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-07-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be on the other side of the Jardine-Bonnar fence, I thought that Bonnar was actually pushing the action. If it wasn't for the leg kicks, Jardine wouldn't have hit a damn thing in two rounds and he was fighting defensively. Bonnar could have just kept distance between them and make Jardine close the fight, but he fought through those kicks and landed the most clean shots until the end of the third round. Plus Bonnar was continually trying to take Jardine down and he was forced to defend for long stretches of time. I also give a lot of weight to the flash knockdown in round 3 for Bonnar, which was more destructive to me than Jardine's final flurry. Good fight though, always like to see fights where both guys bring it and neither really loses stature. I certainly don't take anything away from either guy and think a rematch would be a good move after a couple more fights for each guy.
Old 04-07-06, 05:24 PM

signing a multi fight contract with the UFC doesn't necessarily mean BJ will be back. the UFC can still drop him after a loss.
Old 04-08-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MahatmaPetey
signing a multi fight contract with the UFC doesn't necessarily mean BJ will be back. the UFC can still drop him after a loss.
I'm pretty sure all of their contracts are set up to be voided if you lose. Which is why Yves Edwards is back fighting in Pride after he lost.
Old 04-10-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, UFN4 freakin sucked.. I mean BOOOORING!!! Jardine got robbed BIG TIME.. I think he dominated that fight and the judging was no doubt fixed. I also think that Hoger beat Rashad.

Like it was already mentioned.. Why have the fight in what looks smaller then a high school gymnasium? I mean the whole thing looked like total cheese. I feel bad for the fighters having to fight in such a small arena..

Leban's fight bored me to death, Joe Daddy got dominated.. The UFC has to be bummed about how all the fights went and I think they rigged the judging so that at least Bonnar (one of the most popular) would win..

Were any of the non televised fights any better? Can they be seen anywhere?
Old 04-10-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Thrush
I'm pretty sure all of their contracts are set up to be voided if you lose. Which is why Yves Edwards is back fighting in Pride after he lost.
They have basically, by most accounts, three kinds of contracts they normally use: one fight deals, three fight "winners" contracts (if you lose, they have the option to drop the contract and renegotiate), and three fight champ contracts.

Actually Yves Edwards signed on with an open clause that allows him to fight in Pride. UFC only signs exclusive contracts with champs and top contenders (which is why BJ lost the Welter title and was dropped from the UFC because he wanted to fight elsewhere). Since they were restarting the lightweights this year and Zuffa loves Yves, they agreed to sign him and still allow him to keep fighting in Pride.

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Were any of the non televised fights any better? Can they be seen anywhere?
Check UFC Unleashed on Spike, a lot of the prelims show up on there. They've devoted a couple of Unleashed's to unaired prelims. You just have to keep your eye out.