Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing a audio receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, heres the deal. I use my PC with TV-in for all my video gaming and of course for watching films. I am currently using some JBL PC speakers i got from a friend for free. Im unsatisfied with them, and id like to get a receiver and 2 speakers (left/right) to mount on the side of my plasma tv on the wall. I dont need anything mind blowing, i just want something clean.

I'd also like the receiver to have a LOT of inputs so i can get rid of my Phillips a/v switch that currently houses 4 items to switch through. I'd prefer the budget to be under 250 if possible. I'd (i know i am using i'd too much) go on AVS Forum, but they're a bit too direct in their opinions and im just looking for something in general. I have all types of stores local to me including frys and the like, so i have many options for stores to go purchase items at.
Old 04-06-06, 06:47 PM
Cool New Member

I love my new Yamaha receiver. Since you are on a budget I suggest maybe this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395588707
Old 04-06-06, 07:00 PM
Banned

That looks awesome, but i cant tell if those A/V inputs are all just composite, or do they also offer S-Video as well? My entire setup is S-Video, so that is a major concern for me. The rear picture isnt detailed enough to see...
Old 04-06-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer are all good in that price range. Here is an Onkyo that might meet your needs (it's on sale for $280): http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...Price&id=29565

I haven't heard any of the receivers in this price range, but those are the brands I would look at. Denon too, but I don't think Denon has anything at this price point.
Old 04-06-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
That looks awesome, but i cant tell if those A/V inputs are all just composite, or do they also offer S-Video as well? My entire setup is S-Video, so that is a major concern for me. The rear picture isnt detailed enough to see...
Might be a good time to switch to component.

Do be careful, some receivers require you to use the same output as input. For example, if you run say a component line to your TV, then all your items must be hooked into component. If you want to run S-Video "in" you must also run S-Video "out".

Other units can convert from one to another. Just be sure you know what you are getting.
Old 04-07-06, 12:16 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending at what size investment you are going to make, you might consider waiting until HDMI 1.3 is finalized and available in a A/V receiver. It would suck balls to buy a mid-to-high end receiver today and have it missing key features in the near future.
Old 04-07-06, 12:17 AM
mbs

My entire setup is S-Video, so that is a major concern for me.
You are running S-video (480i only) into a HDTV? That is just so wrong.
Old 04-07-06, 12:55 AM
Banned

Thanks for the advice guys, ive decided to wait like mentioned for a HDMI 1.3 unit because i do plan on upgrading my plasma to a 1080p in the near future, so i might as well suffer a bit more lol.

Originally Posted by mbs
You are running S-video (480i only) into a HDTV? That is just so wrong.
Well, my Plasma is a older model that only has VGA In. So i run it in 1920x1080 @ 60hz through my PC, and use a TV card to display everything in full 100% Widescreen in 1920x1080 @ 60hz resolution. You'd be shocked at the image quality, i need to take a picture of it.
Old 04-07-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'd be shocked at the image quality, i need to take a picture of it.
Though looking at your track record, you'll probably take the picture with a cell phone camera.
Old 04-07-06, 08:04 AM
Banned

Har har, due to this, im going to go get my CF card back and take pics to post. Damn you all for making me put effort into something.
Old 04-07-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice guys, ive decided to wait like mentioned for a HDMI 1.3 unit because i do plan on upgrading my plasma to a 1080p in the near future, so i might as well suffer a bit more lol.
I decided to upgrade now myself. I was having a problem with too many component connections. I realize I might have HDMI issues in a couple years, but I'll just buy a box that just does that (and does it well) when that happens. Till then, I'll just run everything component except the DVD player, which will take up the one HDMI slot into my DLP PJ.
Old 04-07-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Har har, due to this, im going to go get my CF card back and take pics to post. Damn you all for making me put effort into something.
Peer pressure at its finest.
Old 04-11-06, 01:10 AM
mbs

Well, my Plasma is a older model that only has VGA In. So i run it in 1920x1080 @ 60hz through my PC, and use a TV card to display everything in full 100% Widescreen in 1920x1080 @ 60hz resolution. You'd be shocked at the image quality, i need to take a picture of it.
So... Where are those pictures?

But seriously, doesn't S-Video max out at 480i?
Old 04-11-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, it maxes out at 480i. But I think that's why he said he uses a PC with a VGA connection for HD resolution material.
Old 04-11-06, 11:54 PM
Banned

Sorry guys, been slacking on the pics. Will take them tommorow and post them, i got my CF card back for my camera so i can snap pics. Yes, it is 480i, but looks amazing either way. I also have some high def stuff i downloaded ill take pics of on here as well.
Old 04-18-06, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Ok guys, I am starting my research now, eventhough I may not be able to purchase a new receiver for a couple months. I figured I would update this thread, rather than start anew.

I am upgrading my tv to Mitsu 62" DLP -Model WD62628 from a 55" Mitsu RPTV. I am doing it mostly for the added value of playing Xbox 360 on it, but I want to be ready to fully enjoy HD-DVD/Blu-Ray (PS3) when the time comes. This TV does this, and for $3k, I cant complain.

Next it is time to upgrade my receiver. I have a 6.1 Panny receiver. My speakers are nothing to sneeze at, and I am only in an apartment right now, so an external amp would be overkill.

What receiver(s) should I be looking at? My budget at best guess is sub $1k. I need one that does HDMI switching. Do I need to look at the Harmon Kardon, Denon, Onkyo brands? Anyone have any suggestions for me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-06, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

You could try the Yamaha HTR-5990. It runs for $1000. It is the cheapest Yamaha with HDMI. I have had this receiver for about a month or so now and I can attest to the sound quality. It has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI out.
Old 04-18-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry guys, been slacking on the pics. Will take them tommorow and post them, i got my CF card back for my camera so i can snap pics. Yes, it is 480i, but looks amazing either way. I also have some high def stuff i downloaded ill take pics of on here as well.
And Blitz6Speed was never heard from again.
Old 04-18-06, 03:17 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
What receiver(s) should I be looking at? My budget at best guess is sub $1k. I need one that does HDMI switching. Do I need to look at the Harmon Kardon, Denon, Onkyo brands? Anyone have any suggestions for me.
I said it elsewhere in this thread, but I would wait. Wait until HDMI 1.3 is sorted out. There is a good chance that 1.3 will be a firmware upgrade over 1.2, but it won't hurt to wait. Ensuring compatibility with the next-gen DVD formats is key.
Old 04-18-06, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbs
I said it elsewhere in this thread, but I would wait. Wait until HDMI 1.3 is sorted out. There is a good chance that 1.3 will be a firmware upgrade over 1.2, but it won't hurt to wait. Ensuring compatibility with the next-gen DVD formats is key.
I read you stating that, but how long will I be waiting here? I wont be in the market for another couple months or so, is it going to be longer than that?
Old 04-18-06, 03:43 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
I read you stating that, but how long will I be waiting here? I wont be in the market for another couple months or so, is it going to be longer than that?
If I took a stab at a date, it would be pure speculation. I assume once both formats are off the ground, the HDMI issues will be corrected. Of course, technology is always improving, however, on the cusp of new formats, it pays to delay major purchases until things settle some.

The Yamaha might be a great purchase, but if it cannot pass the HD audio via HDMI, it isn't very attractive at all with the new formats.