Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Godzilla - Monster Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Godzilla - Monster Editionl at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20990.

I thought I'd point out that the review mistakenly lists Audrey Timmonds as the lead actress. "Audrey Timmonds" is the character's name. The actress is Maria Pitillo.

"Frankly, all the casting here sucks. What convinced Devlin and Emmerich that theater threat Matthew Broderick would make a good action lead is truly lost on this critic. Broderick is a fine actor, but he is woefully miscast, often looking as clueless as the choice to make him the star. Even worse, he is saddled with one of those joke names that really never produces significant laughs. The Greek population must have been happy to hear their language mangled and dismissed so. As the lead love interest, Audrey Timmonds is pretty and perky, all mousy cute in her overly curly hair. But what, exactly, are we supposed to make of her character. A total flake, she originally left Broderick for a shot at the big time. Yet when she has the chance to win him back, she steals his Top Secret videotape for her own selfish gains. We are supposed to root for her, to see her finally find her place among the journalistic elite in the Big Apple. But since Timmonds constantly comes across as a sorority girl who forget to get a date for the Sadie Hawkins Dance, we never believe in her power to persevere. About the only good casting is Jean Reno, as a French Secret Service agent with a pleasant distaste for the "Amurican" way of doing things. He seems sort of lost in the action set pieces, but he does provide a great gravitas that Broderick can never evr produce."
Old 04-06-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops! My bad...

It's been fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

BILL