Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Gene Pitney R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gene Pitney R.I.P.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Singer Gene Pitney has died in the middle of his UK tour, his agent said.

The 65-year-old American star was found dead just after 10am at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff.

His 40-year career included the hits Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa and Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart.
I was always a big fan of Gene's. From what I have heard, his voice was still in great shape after 40 years in show business.

He was also wrote songs that were hits for others, like "Hello Mary Lou" for Ricky Nelson and "He's A Rebel" for the Crystals.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 04-05-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Amazing he was still touring. My Dad turned me on to him as a kid while listening to his old '45s. "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa" and "Only Love Can Break A Heart" were always favorites of mine (as well as a B-side called "Mr. Moon, Mr. Cupid And I").

He had 16 Top 40 hits from 1961 to 1968 and 4 Top Tens. 'Only Love..." was his highest charting peaking at #2 in 1962.

My Dad is going to be pretty sad when he hears this.
Old 04-05-06, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Only Love Can Break a Heart" was Pitney's biggest U.S. hit, peaking at No. 2 on the charts in 1962. The No. 1 song at the time was The Crystals' "He's a Rebel," written by Pitney.

What a feat.

I first heard him with the Marc Almond duet of "Somethings Got A Hold Of My Heart" being a Soft Cell fan. Great song.
Old 04-05-06, 01:45 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I love that song "Town Without Pity".
Old 04-05-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
This is really sad news...I've been a big fan of Gene's 60's hits since I was a kid...some of my favorites being "24 hours from tulsa", "mecca", "man who shot liberty valence", "half heaven half heartache", and "Last Chance to turn around"....I'm not familiar with which songs he wrote for others or if he recorded anything of note in the last twenty years but what music he left us with will give me great joy for the rest of my life...I hope that others manage to discover what timeless songs he recorded for generations to come.

Michael
Old 04-05-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was always a fan of his. Sorry to hear this...
Old 04-06-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It Hurts To Be In Love is one of my all time favs.

I recommend this ---> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

collection. 50 tracks and inexpensive. I got one a few years back from Collector's Choice Music... link to their site is ---> http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=SEQ23802