Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any fans of movie City of God? Check out City of Men on Sundance

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Any fans of movie City of God? Check out City of Men on Sundance

I meant to post this earlier. I don't think I remember seeing anything posted about this on this forum, but I noticed that Sundance Channel is going to be showing the Brazilian series City of Men, which is very similar in theme to the Oscar-nominated film City of God, on Tuesdays in April at 9 p.m.

Sorry I forgot to post anything earlier. I know I'm a little late to get anyone to watch tonight, but the Sundance Web site shows that it will have encore showings Tuesday at 2:30 a.m., Wednesday at 2 a.m. and Saturday at 12 a.m. Who knows, there might other encore showings, and of course there's always the Sundance West channel as well. I'd love to hear what people think about it.

I've already seen the first two seasons, and I really enjoyed it. It's available in other regions (alas, not in the U.S.) on DVD, so I rented it a while back from Nicheflix. But I would definitely recommend it for fans of City of God.

Here's a description from the Sundance Web site:

Premiering this month on Sundance Channel is the hit Brazilian television series CITY OF MEN. A comedy/drama about two teenage boys growing up in a dangerous Rio De Janeiro slum, CITY OF MEN was created by the team behind the Academy Award-nominated feature CITY OF GOD, including that film's directors Fernando Meirelles (THE CONSTANT GARDNER) and Kátia Lund. The series stars Darlan Cunha and Douglas Silva, who were also featured in CITY OF GOD. The first season airs starting in April, but watch for seasons two and three to follow shortly thereafter.

Set in the present day, the series mixes comedy and drama as it follows the struggles, schemes, and dreams of Acerelo (Douglas Silva) and Laranjinha (Darlan Cunha), thirteen year-old best friends trying to lead normal lives in an impoverished favela. In many respects, Acerelo and Laranjinha are ordinary teenagers, interested in videogames, the latest sneakers, and girls. But they live in a place where violence is an everyday occurrence and outsiders rightly fear to tread; a neighborhood where drug barons impose their own kind of moral code and serve as community authorities, hearing complaints, providing aid, and imposing punishment.

CITY OF MEN premieres Tuesday April 2 at 9PM, with new episodes every following week.
Old 04-04-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I just set the DVR to catch the 5 a.m. showing. I'm looking forward to watching this.
Old 04-05-06, 12:01 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
DVR has been set, I think EW mentioned it this week.